DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, zendragon said:

And there should be no reason for AEW to do so (especially as a company that seems to want to brand itself as younger and forward thinking) one women’s match per show that usually goes on before the main event especially if it’s a one minute squash tells your audience “this ain’t all that important “

Aside from golden era NXT, is there any other audience in US ready for "Women's wrestling is awesome" than AEW one, though? If you give it to them, that is!

Devil's advocate o'er here...is there any great incentive to push the women's division past the fact that its the correct moral thing to do and fwd thinking and all that? These moving goalposts, whether it be "Let them Main Event WrestleMania!" or "Give them more time on Dynamite!" are so far removed from how stuff actually works in wrestling that by now the conversation itself seems like a contractual obligation. You give the audiece what they want. Women's wrestling has come a long way but its not the draw. AEW gives the women the spotlight when it counts. Do the women need their own show?

Edited by peachchaos

The LuFisto stuff is just going to be a spark on the Internet for 48 hours and then fade away into nothingness. Its just a one-sided interpretation of one night, and not one that screams as being 100% accurate as its just tooo one-sided. Every workplace has cliques and wrestlers are complicated people with complicated backstories. Nicole Matthews for example heavily implied that LuFisto doesn't always treat people well and maybe that was a factor in how people responded to her. If a former co-worker that treated you like shit five years ago popped up at your new job, would you give them a hug? And her throwing random strays at people like Skye Blue doesn't help matters any either.

I've been disappointed with the booking of the women in AEW and a lot of what they've done either hasn't worked or they haven't tried hard enough. But too much of LuFisto's post (and her congratulating herself on speaking out) just rings as too one-sided and self-serving. No workplace is that one dimensional as she presented it. So I don't think the story will stick. She'll tweet about it, AEW wrestlers will tweet she is full of it (like Taya did), and everyone will move on to the next.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, zendragon said:

And there should be no reason for AEW to do so (especially as a company that seems to want to brand itself as younger and forward thinking) one women’s match per show that usually goes on before the main event especially if it’s a one minute squash tells your audience “this ain’t all that important “

On Rampage, that's not really an option cause you're already trying to jam in 5 matches for 42 or 43 minutes of content. In that old days, for an hour show, you would have ONE feature match and then multiple squashes (as many as 4-6 depending on how they edited it). For some reason, EVERYONE has a feature match on the show. You're not going to get around having squashes.

14 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

Devil's advocate o'er here...is there any great incentive to push the women's division past the fact that its the correct moral thing to do and fwd thinking and all that? These moving goalposts, whether it be "Let them Main Event WrestleMania!" or "Give them more time on Dynamite!" are so far removed from how stuff actually works in wrestling that by now the conversation itself seems like a contractual obligation. You give the audiece what they want. Women's wrestling has come a long way but its not the draw. AEW gives the women the spotlight when it counts. Do the women need their own show?

The devils advocate position to your devils advoacte:

If an all-women show "fails" (critically, economically, etc), does that "hinder" the progress women have made in the business in the last 10+ years? Or was the criteria for success flawed? Does that prove the troll/Neanderthal portion of the fan base were right for once? 

It's a damn shame cause the LuFisto/Precious Lucy that was having awesome matches in like IWS and the indies as well as having those groundbreaking hardcore matches with Sugey in Mexico back in the day would be a fucking star right now.

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

On Rampage, that's not really an option cause you're already trying to jam in 5 matches for 42 or 43 minutes of content. In that old days, for an hour show, you would have ONE feature match and then multiple squashes (as many as 4-6 depending on how they edited it). For some reason, EVERYONE has a feature match on the show. You're not going to get around having squashes.

I imagine every match (just about) going through PIP is a network directive at this point. 5 hours of total tv time a week shouldn’t be a problem.  When you had FTR v BCG and B&G both went an HR they could have put made sure to put a second women’s match on Rampage that week. Willow v Taya was nice but you could have bookended that hour of TV with a TBS title defense 

34 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

How can they become a draw if they don’t get that chance though?

3 minutes ago, zendragon said:

How can they become a draw if they don’t get that chance though?

It really is a tough pill to swallow since the top potential draw in women's wrestling can't even get a match on SummerSlam. Has Mercedes Mone at all justified her payday from Bushiroad, for instance? All I know is I'm rarely dissapointed these days, whether its Skye Blue or Rhea Ripley, I feel like I'm seeing someting fresh. 

This is some Mandela Effect shit but earlier this week I watched (I mean "watched" as in slept through) Adam Page vs Matt Hardy from Revolution '21 and thought it was over in 90 seconds. Now I didn't sleep and it was an awesome match, but earlier this week I could have sworn it was a squash!

...I guess "glitch in the matrix" or time-lapse/warp would be more accurate description, but I felt like I wasn't asleep during it, but yeah, knocked out cold for 15 minutes or so. Felt really weird and I was wondering why they gave such a big match almost no time? Turns out they gave it plenty.

Edited by Shartnado
That was one odd nap I had

43 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The devils advocate position to your devils advoacte:

If an all-women show "fails" (critically, economically, etc), does that "hinder" the progress women have made in the business in the last 10+ years? Or was the criteria for success flawed? Does that prove the troll/Neanderthal portion of the fan base were right for once? 

By portion, do you mean the Cornette acolytes who refer to women's matches derisively as girls matches? I mean going back to the attraction thing....unlike minis matches, women's matches evolved out of the novelty act over time. However, it is a continued work in progress. You're likely to have more misses than hits, honestly. I don't think one failure constitutes throwing the entire thing away. I mean I do get the whole point of, "well, why are you having these established male stars underneath on the card to be headlined by women". Not the gender part obviously, but having known stars below lesser tier stars. In his generation, that’s a crazy thing to do. However, as the business evolves, so must the people watching it. Keep in mind, even though some of the fandom borders on and extends past creepy, you can tell a good number of female wrestlers have legit fanbases. Compare now to 1993-1997 WWF and WCW out there struggling mightily to do anything.

• Like 3

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

By portion, do you mean the Cornette acolytes who refer to women's matches derisively as girls matches?

Any time I see a women's match referred to as a "girls match" or a "ladies match" it's an immediate dogwhistle that this person miiiiiight not want to see women on their rasslin' program.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Keep in mind...a good number of female wrestlers have legit fanbases

You'll never convince the Cornette types and honestly it'd be preferred to weed them out entirely. Which is why I'd like to see an all women's wrestling show with legitimate stars given a worthwhile platform, free from the weighted attachment of men's wrestling. Not everything has to be sink or swim, hell even the very idea of AEW was a risk. But now I'm just complaining, WWE has had the network for a decade and put on one all women's show. 

6 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Any time I see a women's match referred to as a "girls match" or a "ladies match" it's an immediate dogwhistle that this person miiiiiight not want to see women on their rasslin' program.

Fucking good wrestling is good fucking wrestling! I saw the Women's Survivor Series match from '87 and told my classmates that Men's wrestling is some boring stiff-ass shit, and got laughed out of the class! But yeah, it sucks when that happens. Being (basically) the only wrestling fan in Finland less than a year later sucked even more

• Like 1