DVDVR Message Board

Collision - 6/17/2023

2 minutes ago, ChrisPBacon said:

All kidding aside, this show was different than anything that's been put out thus far.  Totally felt like a different company in many ways. 

The crowd was very, very generous in not turning on Wardlow-Luchasaurus - both men looked absolutely terrible tonight

In any other city without a Punk match to look forward to, that turns into a Big Show-Batista situation real quick

• Like 2

Andrade/Buddy delivered WAY over expectations, and expectations were pretty strong. Interested to see who Andrade brings in or aligns with as his babyface buddies.

Apparently Bandido broke his wrist on Rampage, so there’s one obvious guess down.

• Sad 2

I think that makes it three for three this week.

Great crowd.

I disagreed with two things Punk said:

1) Pro wrestling is TOTALLY a popularity contest.

2) If you are insinuating that Eddie Kingston is softer than me, you are lying RIGHT NOW.

Putting a title on a DINOSAUR?!?! Further proof that AEW does not understand that the only way to make money is to be CUTTING EDGE.

(That intro was fantastic, by the way).

HE'S THE AYATOLLAH OF DINOSAURA!

Loved the matching ring gear in the ladies' match.

I was JUST joking that Tony Neese should do a modern Rick Rude gimmick! 

Miro should be billed from Bulge-area.

Andrade did NOT seem rusty to me! That was a hell of a match.

That pop when Joe tagged in!

Saturday Night's Alright for LIGHTING!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, evanknight said:

Reading through all the comments about the theme song and trying to remember actually caring about an intro song for any wrestling show ever. 

Elton John is the fourth best selling artist of all time (behind The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, that's it) and one of his five-to-ten biggest songs is about why Saturday is a cool night to fight and this managed to embiggen enough hatred to derail the pre-show hype thread to a point where I didn't want to chat about this show until tomorrow. No I didn't have any Saturday plans. I didn't have anybody to fight.

Show seems neat though and I can't wait to write it up. Cause goddamn I needed two three or four more matches for the DEAN FOREVER WEEKLY POLL.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Willow and Skye Blue are a great team with matching gear.  Toni and Ruby were matching too maybe they should do a tag division that was a good match.  If not, then Willow and Skye should definitely be near the top of the babyface pecking order.  

I also felt like the show needed a little something at the end. Some type of angle or cliffhanger for next week.  That's my only gripe. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

Andrade/Buddy delivered WAY over expectations, and expectations were pretty strong. Interested to see who Andrade brings in or aligns with as his babyface buddies.

Apparently Bandido broke his wrist on Rampage, so there’s one obvious guess down.

I think you still keep him with Ingobernable, HoB vs Andrade/Rush/Dralistico would be amazing

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

The crowd was very, very generous in not turning on Wardlow-Luchasaurus - both men looked absolutely terrible tonight

In any other city without a Punk match to look forward to, that turns into a Big Show-Batista situation real quick

Very good point, and emphasis on it being a crowd that would cheer no matter what was going on.  Decisions that have been made for Wardlow, have not only devalued his momentum, but also the TNT Title.  If they cannot figure out how to keep him dominant and interesting as a champion, then move him along, because he's been punked out and played by Powerhouse Hobbs, Samoa Joe, and Luchasaurus, and it hasn't made him look like a War Machine.

• Like 1

Just now, elizium said:

I think you still keep him with Ingobernable, HoB vs Andrade/Rush/Dralistico would be amazing

I feel like if he was still going to be LFI, he would’ve at least had Jose with him tonight.

Also, apparently Rush is having visa issues and can’t work right now.

9 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

In no way did I say they picked Elton John trying to be cutting edge. What I said was the song is an awful choice and using it is a big miss when you're trying to be cutting edge.

Wanna explain that one to me, champ? 

• Like 2

What Clash songs did Joe Strunmer write that trained Punk to speak “truth to power” about co-workers? Only one I can come with right now is “White Man In Hammerstein Ballroom (To See ECW’s Big Ass Blizzard Bash in ‘96)” but not sure what else. 

Silly promo. It was “edgy” cheap heat in front of a crowd that would pop for Punk blowing his nose. I am bored with this from Punk already.

Andrade/Buddy Matthews was excellent. I forgot how smooth Andrade was. He has some of the most beautiful offense anyone has ever had. 

Miro’s return was great. I kind of wish it was more just him throwing around some local jobber but Tony Nese getting the heel of Miro’s boot to his nose and taking some stiff clotheslines sufficed. 

The Women’s Tag Team was way better than I thought it would have been. By far the best Sky Blue has ever looked. She had a great babyface sprint section. Ruby was also so funny with how she sold the accidental spray paint shor to her face.

That main event was a great banger. So many great sections. Awesome build to the Punk/Joe showdowns. Absolutely electric for the first one, and I fully ignored ROH. Agreed about how good Juice was during this — great cheapshot artistry and taking the bullet for the team at the end.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, EVA said:

I feel like if he was still going to be LFI, he would’ve at least had Jose with him tonight.

Also, apparently Rush is having visa issues and can’t work right now.

Would you accept Perro Peligroso as an adequate substitute?

• Like 1

I did catch some of the show, though, and it PAINS me to write this...

... the biggest loser from this broadcast is Excalibur.

I love that a dude who was so into Fire Pro Wrestling that he felt compelled to turn pro and eat a thousand of Super Dragon's Psycho Drivers is on a healthy six-figures-at-least gig where he can provided a weekly global audience of millions all the enthusiasm and knowledge that he does. I have attended CZW shows in 2006 where Excalibur and Beef Wellington made me happily chant MAS-TUR-BA-TION. But DUDE... Kevin Kelly was born to do this thing. Born to do PBP and read copy, back in the day he was marginally better than the now-understood-as-a-fuckin-genius Michael Cole without twenty years of Headset Vince warping his understanding of the process. Now he's a guy who has watched five times more New Japan than me and still knows how to sound like pure televised professionalism. And maybe this reads as cynical, but there needs to be a plan in place as of today that makes Kevin Kelly the lead PBP of Dynamite in at least a year's time.

Excalibur is their Mike Tenay and that's dope and frankly I hope Rampage turns into the Ex 'n Taz Podcast that DARK was. But Kevin should be this, any, company's voice.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Saturday Night’s Allright for Fighting is by far the best theme song for a wrestling show ever. I mean, that is not exactly the highest bar since most wrestling show anthems have some kind of Woodstock ‘99 “wooo-ka-ka-ka” vocals. I think NXT had some okay themes. But man, this was such an inspired choice. I can’t believe there is even a debate about this.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

And maybe this reads as cynical, but there needs to be a plan in place as of today that makes Kevin Kelly the lead PBP of Dynamite in at least a year's time.

That is a nightmare thought

e: forgot to quote

Also, to expand, I do find it funny how people can listen to the same thing but hear it completely differently. But I guess that's why we're all our own people

Edited by elizium
  • Like 3

Punk's opening promo had his usual serious business format without being too over the top or making him sound overly bitter.

Wardlow/Luchasaurus was fine up until the ending. Swapping the title wouldn't be that big of a deal if they had put it on someone who was actually decent and somewhat over.

Andrade/Buddy was slower and more methodical than I was expecting but really good nontheless. It was almost like they said "hey everyone is expecting us to go a million miles an hour and hit a bunch of spots, let's slow it down and work body parts" and they did a great job pulling that off. Andrade acting like a face at the end was a bit of a departure, but I guess because he's a face he has no friends to come out and help him.

Miro's return was just the competitive squash that it should have been. Neese is a great mid card heel in that he can be obnoxious, is a solid worker, but brings enough legitimacy for it to mean something when he puts someone over.

Women's tag match was solid and everyone involved looked good.

The main event was excellent and had they added another five minutes or so of CMFTR being in peril I think that would have really put it over the top. Too much of Punk and Joe's segment was in PiP but that's not a big deal. I also agree the show felt like it missed a bit of something with no big hot angle, but I understand they were letting the show and matches speak for itself rather than use it as a vehicle to heat up a program.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Very good point, and emphasis on it being a crowd that would cheer no matter what was going on.  Decisions that have been made for Wardlow, have not only devalued his momentum, but also the TNT Title.  If they cannot figure out how to keep him dominant and interesting as a champion, then move him along, because he's been punked out and played by Powerhouse Hobbs, Samoa Joe, and Luchasaurus, and it hasn't made him look like a War Machine.

Yep. Ups and downs with the TNT Championship. Meant the most when Cody, the late great Mr Brodie Lee and Miro held it. Last year was the worst booked year with Sammy Guevara/Scorpio Sky till Samoa Joe and Darby Allin brought it back at the end of last year going into this year till Wardlow regained it from Powerhouse Hobbs. The TNT Championship is not what it was. The AEW International Championship means more. Christian Cage should have won the TNT Championship from Wardlow at Double or Nothing, work with the young talent who learn from him and Cage drops it to the right guy. Really sucks what the TNT Championship has become.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

Wardlow/Luchasaurus was fine up until the ending. Swapping the title wouldn't be that big of a deal if they had put it on someone who was actually decent and somewhat over.

Christian is incredibly over as a heel.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, elizium said:

That is a nightmare thought

e: forgot to quote

Also, to expand, I do find it funny how people can listen to the same thing but hear it completely differently. But I guess that's why we're all our own people

There is a gun, backstage at all times. It is underneath breakable glass. If Kevin does any call that sounds like "DESTINOOOOOOOOOOOOO~", everybody in catering better think Steve Austin is going to rush the ring.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

This show was what I hoped Rampage would be like.

Hopefully we get Brody vs Rush

Could have used a wow moment bring a debut episode, but all in all I’m excited for it as a good wrestling show. A good cast of characters to work with and mix in various other workers that can hope between shows. Less of a straight brand split and more a difference in vibe an presentation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

This show was what I hoped Rampage would be like.

Hopefully we get Brody vs Rush

Could have used a wow moment bring a debut episode, but all in all I’m excited for it as a good wrestling show. A good cast of characters to work with and mix in various other workers that can hope between shows. Less of a straight brand split and more a difference in vibe an presentation.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but Miro should have been that big wow moment. Don't have him show up on Dynamite a few weeks ago, don't announce him, and have Nese come out and do the same segment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1