DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

14 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Of course he's banged up. Everyone who's seen how sparsely he's been deployed since the ironman match knew that. 

I could also see someone kind of walking away with this idea based on the 'limited spots' layout, and nothing more, forgetting that 1) he got concussed during the same match last year and 2) Okada is on the horizon. So yeah, completely understandable - put that mf in bubble wrap til bell time as far as I'm concerned.

I know Danielson wants to wrestle until his arm falls off or his brain drips out of his ear, but I would prefer the guy to keep a schedule like this. Show up and cut promos on Dynamite, stir shit up, and wrestle every few weeks or more.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I know Danielson wants to wrestle until his arm falls off or his brain drips out of his ear, but I would prefer the guy to keep a schedule like this. Show up and cut promos on Dynamite, stir shit up, and wrestle every few weeks or more.

This.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, Shibata did have to have his brain removed* after a match with Okada, so the brain drippage could happen.

*I have no clue what actually happened with Shibata, but the reporting that his brain was taken out of his head will always crack me up. Wait, someone really reported that, right?!?! Did I make that up in my own brain? Is my brain leaking out of my ear. I gotta go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Log said:

Well, Shibata did have to have his brain removed* after a match with Okada, so the brain drippage could happen.

*I have no clue what actually happened with Shibata, but the reporting that his brain was taken out of his head will always crack me up. Wait, someone really reported that, right?!?! Did I make that up in my own brain? Is my brain leaking out of my ear. I gotta go.

Katsuyori Shibata nearly died in a match with Kazuchika Okada at NJPW Sakura Genesis 2017 after stupidly doing a shoot headbutt like he tended to.

* Yes, mate. Dave Meltzer reported that. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Log said:

Part of his skull was removed (twice) because of swelling in his brain. Meltzer got a little mixed up there lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

He should be on MJF's schedule and vice versa.

• Like 2

Just on the off chance that anyone on here can go to Forbidden Door at short notice and needs tickets, I have two. Ticketmaster won't let me sell them through it directly from a UK bank account, but it seems I would be able to transfer them to someone.

I wouldn't ask any more than face value from anyone on here, PM me if you're interested. And sorry mods if this is verboten, feel free to delete.

Edited by SturmCRF

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

He should be on MJF's schedule and vice versa.

I know some find it antiquated (or equate it with WWE's frequent 'part-time' Champs like Brock or Goldberg) but I honestly think there's something to be said for having the WHC wrestle on TV very infrequently. I remember as a kid, just before I started becoming smarter/more 'online' there was a Monday where they programmed a Hogan defense against a Shawn Michaels defense (probably late '97/early '98) and my friends and I were literally calling each other about it, im sure the modern day equivalent would be social media, but my point stands

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I know some find it antiquated (or equate it with WWE's frequent 'part-time' Champs like Brock or Goldberg) but I honestly think there's something to be said for having the WHC wrestle on TV very infrequently. I remember as a kid, just before I started becoming smarter/more 'online' there was a Monday where they programmed a Hogan defense against a Shawn Michaels defense (probably late '97/early '98) and my friends and I were literally calling each other about it, im sure the modern day equivalent would be social media, but my point stands

I guess I got spoiled by Moxley the fighting champ taking on all comers (and giving them the rub). Also the fact that I like MJF in-ring but can't stand him as a promo.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I guess I got spoiled by Moxley the fighting champ taking on all comers (and giving them the rub). Also the fact that I like MJF in-ring but can't stand him as a promo.

It's kind of cool that it changes based on the champ, though. Like, Mox just wants to fight all the time, so he's got no problem defending it all the time. MJF, on the other hand, just wants to get paid for fighting as little as possible. So, he's happy to defend it the bare minimum. It fits their character and seems like what they'd do in "real life".

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Log said:

It's kind of cool that it changes based on the champ, though. Like, Mox just wants to fight all the time, so he's got no problem defending it all the time. MJF, on the other hand, just wants to get paid for fighting as little as possible. So, he's happy to defend it the bare minimum. It fits their character and seems like what they'd do in "real life".

That's a really great point (and going back to the '90s example I gave, I think that's a kind of good comparison in a way because the heels in Michaels and Hogan were both succeeded by much more fighting champions in Goldberg and Austin, respectively). 

I think another reason it works particularly well for AEW, is actually something I've been semi-critical of in the past: the # of damn belts. For example, I haven't really at any point as a viewer 'missed' having a fighting world champion, because OC has been killing it with this International title run, Claudio ( though not defending the ROH title in singles) has at least been in some great tags and trios matches lately, etc.

• Like 4

Just now, Octopus said:

I’m wondering if I go, is it proper movie theater etiquette or is it fun have my phone out so I can derp on the discord feel? 

I’m sure he’ll chime in, I think he goes to the theater every time. 

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I think @Nice Guy Eddie‘s done it a few times. 

I highly recommend the theatre experience for AEW ppvs. It's interacting with a bunch of other wrestling nerds. For Double or Nothing, I snuck a six pack in the theatre. Plus, it's cheaper than watching at home. Unfortunately, no theatres near me are showing Forbidden Door, so I'm shelling out the $50 to watch at home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Octopus said:

So I narrowed down the theater that has a bar in it. Do I go for optimal viewing seating or ideal getting up to grab another drink seating? 

Go for the getting up to grab another drink and piss like a race horse seating. It's hard to have a bad seat when watching on a giant screen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Go for the getting up to grab another drink and piss like a race horse seating. It's hard to have a bad seat when watching on a giant screen. 

Seconded on the aisle seat especially if you have to go to the bar area.

EA123-AEE-F009-4656-AD44-DA5-FEFBE89-B1.
which spot? Thinking between the two orange ones

—-

EDIT: I went with the closet one. Enough people in my Brain Trust recommended that. 
I pray the exit is on that side. 

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Octopus said:

EA123-AEE-F009-4656-AD44-DA5-FEFBE89-B1.
which spot? Thinking between the two orange ones

I would think the main concern would be your access to sea water. It's likely to be close to a 4-hour show. How long can you survive on dry land? 

Definitely suggest an aisle seat. More room if you bring in a tank of sea water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6