DVDVR Message Board

NXT Stand & Deliver III - 4/1/2023

Dolfan in NYC

This is a 1pm Eastern start time, which means, it's 10am(!) at the arena.  This is gonna be a groggy crowd...

THE CARD (so far)

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Bron Breakker (c) vs. Carmelo Hayes

SIX PACK CHALLENGE LADDER MATCH FOR THE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Roxanne Perez (c) vs. Zoey Stark vs. Gigi Dolan vs. Tiffany Straton vs. Lyra Valkyria vs. Indi Hartwell

FATAL FIVE WAY FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Wes Lee (c) vs. Dragon Lee vs. Ilja Dragunov vs. JD McDonagh vs. Axiom

FOR THE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Fallon Henry / Kiana James (c) vs. Alba Fyre / Isla Dawn

TRIPLE THREAT FOR THE MEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Gallus (Wolfgang / M. Coffey) vs. The Creed Brothers vs. The D'Angelo Family (D'Angelo / Lorenzo)

UNSANCTIONED MATCH - Grayson Waller vs. Johnny Gargano

EIGHT PERSON MIXED TAG TEAM MATCH - Tyler Bate / Chase U (Chase / Hudson / Hall) vs. Schism (Gacy / Reid / Fowler / Ava)

--

Hosted by Pretty Deadly(~~)

Since we are in LA (inglewood) Lou Diamond Philips should be the guest ref in the main event, but in a show long angle he doesn't know how to count to three. So Edward James Olmos has to teach him. After the show Olmos and Vince can compare settlements

The main event was good. Melo has improved greatly and is deserving of the top spot in NXT. What midcard JTTS does Bron start a feud with on Monday? Ziggler?

The US title match was pretty fun despite being the third multiperson match in a row. I would much rather have seen singles matches among any of the participants but it was still entertaining.

Rest of the card was mediocre. Whatever angle team bro country has going on will no longer have the women's tag titles involved and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the witch team.

I wasn't paying much attention to the women's title match and kept thinking it was one on one as they were really bad about the "two people fight while the rest lay around outside". After last night's ladder match at ROH I was hoping there wouldn't be anything absurd going on in here and aside from Tiffany landing almost between everyone else they kept it sane.

Didn't care about Johnny/Grayson

They honestly should have just done this last Tuesday as it didn't have that much of a big show feel, plus I can't imagine going to a show at 10am and also having tickets to night 1 of Mania.

Edited by HumanChessgame

Had zero interest in the "top two" matches and only cared about the women's stuff. I enjoyed Bron's reign but Carmelo does nothing for me at all. Was very surprised to see Indi get the win but a super cool moment for her. I figured Roxanne didn't come back just to lose it right away and Indi was like the last person added to the match so never would've predicted that, nice to see her on top. Also thrilled for Alba Fyre to finally win something.

• Like 1

Was in the middle of the main event when I had to pause to deal with a guest only to return and find myself having to wait for fuckign replay to catch it. Kind of pissed right now due to this.

Chase U vs. Schism was a fun match. Suspected the finish with Hudson might happen and I dug how it played out. Nice to see Chase U finally get a big victory. I think this is the first televised match of Rock's daughter Ava Raine. She was okish. She has presence, but she didn't seem to do enough here to really judge her as terrible though definitely not good either. 

Women's ladder match was fun. There were a few scary moments, but it seems like all involved came out ok by the end. The finish with Indi and Lumis was a nice touch. Happy to see Indi finally get a big victory. Don't see her as champ for long, but this does explain why they kept her in NXT the past six months despite finally being main roster ready ring wise. 

Tag titles 3-way was solid. Joe Coffey's return was a decent way to recement Gallus as heels instead of the odd tweener they have been the past couple of months. 

The NA title match was kind of great. Everyone looked damn impressive and got their moments to shine. Dug that the only real team up was a short fuck JD moment. I would kind of be fine if the next six months or so of NA title matches was nothing but some combo of these five guys. 

Gargano/Waller was probably the best Waller match so far. Just a good feel of hate with the two beating the shit out of each be it strikes, moves, or plunder. Dug the moments where Candice got involved as well. The post match Way celebration was a great touch and gave the ending to Gargano and friends in NXT that we didn't really get before. 

Women's tag titles match was shockingly good with Alba and Dawn just looking amazing a team while Fallon and Kiana struggled to keep up after the early sneak attack.  Dawn and Fyre are somehow an even better team than I imagined and I hope they keep the titles for a long time. Fuck, give the the main roster titles as well. Thought this was the best Fallon and Kiana have looked as well. The action was mostly on points, and things kind of played out perfectly with the two trying to work hard together with them really only being at odds during the finish. This angle they have been running with Briggs, Jensen, Kiana, and Fallon hasn't been the best mostly because none of them are especially charismatic, but a part of me hopes they keep Fallon and James a team. The two work well together in the ring even if their characters are at odds.

Will have to finish the main event later, but I loved it up to what i caught.

Edit: Replay finally became available. Really dug the rest of Bron and Hayes. Pretty good match all around though not quite great. Probably between it and the NA Title 5-way for MOTN. Good show overall. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I didn't catch the opener so I'll watch that later but I dug the ladder match with Indi's win catching me off guard. 5 man NA title match was bonkers as expected. That kick that Axiom hit on Wes as he was going for his finish was nasty and you could see the lump on Wes' head after the match.

The women's tag match was always going to be more about the angle than the match which is why it went on before the main. I'd love for the conclusion to be Jenson saying something like "of course I know she's talking to another guy, I watch the show on TV, I'm still fighting for her" or something like that. 

Main was pretty good and didn't go into the overblown "black and gold" NXT style which I appreciated. Kind of wished Trick didn't do the belt shot but it wasn't the finish so it's ok.

Excited to see who gets called up and who gets featured on TV, Lash Legend has been MIA, Oro Mensah had a big intro thing and then disappeared (but that could have been visa related) and Gallus is back at full strength and back to actually being heels.

• Like 1

Legend lost to Valentina Feroz on Level Up last night. I don't think she's getting called up. Mensah has worked Level Up recently as well.

I didn't realize they were running a match on the pre-show, so I missed that match. Really wish they found something better for the Grizzled Young Vets to do.

Thought it was a really fun show. Very surprised they took the belt off of Perez already. I will second the statement about how improved Stratton has gotten in the ring.

They have a lot of main roster ready acts in NXT right now. Will be interesting to see who comes to the main roster in the next couple of months.

• Like 1

I should have mentioned that I don't watch Level Up since I'm at 7-11 hours of wrestling a week not counting if I rewatch old stuff on YT or the Network. Only so much time I can devote to it plus other stuff. I didn't think Legend was going to get called up anytime soon, I just meant getting back on the main NXT show. I'd assume Zoey is due to get called up and maybe Katana and Kayden? Turning Kianna/Fallon into transitional champs seems odd in retrospect when I don't think losing to Alba/Isla is a bad thing.

They were in a tough spot but I enjoyed the NXT women's tag match and am happy for Dawn and Fyre who have been killing it.

Very happy for Indi too. This shocked me as I assumed Roxanne would overcome the odds. 

• Like 1