DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

On 1/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, Craig H said:

I'm used to people, myself included, referring to Michigan State as just "State."

My favorite thing with regard to Michigan State is the time they proudly posted the new glass, etched locker room display thing they'd put up - and it had a misspelling in it. 

• Haha 1

NFL announced the teams giving up home games next season to play international games

• Bills - London (Wembley)
  • Titans - London (Wembley)
  • Jags - London (Tottenham)
  • Patriots - Germany
  • Chiefs - Germany

Expect this to be the new norm where (outside of the Jags) - the conference with 9 home games will make up the teams giving up a home game (the AFC teams have 9 home games in 2023)

Tampa has officially fired Byron Leftwich today (apparently they are also firing a giant chuck of the offensive staff along with a couple of defensive coaches)

Really interesting what if to ponder - last year this time, the Jags basically were begging Leftwich to be their HC but he (rightly or wrongly) tried to pull a power play and get the GM fired and now he is out of a job and basically no one is looking at him for HC jobs this offseason (rightly or wrongly)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Tampa has officially fired Byron Leftwich today (apparently they are also firing a giant chuck of the offensive staff along with a couple of defensive coaches)

Really interesting what if to ponder - last year this time, the Jags basically were begging Leftwich to be their HC but he (rightly or wrongly) tried to pull a power play and get the GM fired and now he is out of a job and basically no one is looking at him for HC jobs this offseason (rightly or wrongly)

Sometimes that head coaching opportunity window is so small because so many teams just look at what the coach has done the last year or two. Have a couple hot years, boom, prime HC candidate. Have one bad year, team fires you, now you are just hoping for a QB Coach job or a spot on Saban's staff.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

It didn’t help Leftwich that a broken down Tom Brady threw the ball 66 times in a playoff game.

If your offensive plan is to have your 500 year old quarterback set an all-time record for attempts during the season, you should be fired. Their offense was a mess and Leftwich didn't have a Gronk to hide behind. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 6

Along that same line of thinking, has anybody looked at the Tampa offense the last two years and thought, "Gee, they sure do run an awesome, creative, consistent scheme"? No? 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

Greg Roman fired resigned. That's not too surprising, have been complaints for awhile about their play calling, both from fans and players. Plus the 'rumors' that some FA didn't want to sign there and others like Brown wanted to leave because of the way the offense was run.

Well Payton is trying to claim that the compensation will only be a "mid to late 1st round pick" 

Of course Payton feels like that because he wants freedom of movement and the compensation to not get in the way

Most reports say the Saints want a first round pick "and more" (theoretically at least one more pick)

For comparison -the last time a coach was traded the compensation was

In that deal, the Bucs traded two future first- and second-round picks to the Raiders.
Tampa Bay traded the No. 21 and No. 53 overall picks in the 2002 draft. The 2003 pick ended up being 32nd overall after Tampa Bay's Super Bowl XXXVII win while the remaining second-round pick was 45th overall in 2004.

When I didn't hear any other confirmation that Boyer's job was safe outside of a couple of twitter people, I figured something was coming.  Boyer was a Flores hire, so I'm not shocked at all. 

The names floating around are Fangio and Schwartz.  Which are like, okay...   Same with Jim Leonhard.

I wonder if McDaniel still has DeMeco Ryans' phone number...

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The names floating around are Fangio and Schwartz

Schwartz was hired like 2 days ago by the Browns so whoever is floating him as a candidate is wrong

Sean Payton's interview with the Panthers that was set for today is the wake of the boating accident that killed Charlotte FC player Anton Walkes.  (The owner of the Panthers owns both teams.)  The Panthers' interview team was recalled to Charlotte.  It may or may not be rescheduled.  

The Saints are supposedly asking for $25 Million and 2 1's for Payton.  That's... a lot. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I again, may just be wishful here, but it doesn't sound like he's about to pull an Andrew Luck..

To me, it sounds like he is about to pull an Andrew Luck.

i don’t think would be a bad idea for him or the team.  I dunno how you depend on him too heavily next season or pick up his option for 2024, much less give him a contract extension.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sean Payton's interview with the Panthers that was set for today is the wake of the boating accident that killed Charlotte FC player Anton Walkes.  (The owner of the Panthers owns both teams.)  The Panthers' interview team was recalled to Charlotte.  It may or may not be rescheduled.  

The Panthers also postponed their interview with Kellen Moore

Payton's interview was rescheduled to Monday (assuming he doesn't take a job over the weekend)

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Panthers also postponed their interview with Kellen Moore

Payton's interview was rescheduled to Monday (assuming he doesn't take a job over the weekend)

Who would give up TWO number ones for Sean Payton?  I don't understand.

• Like 3