DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reports are that the Raiders will cut Derek Carr tomorrow

Raiders have officially released Carr

Vegas will save $29.25 million against the cap

3 hours ago, Gorman said:

If my contract allows me to get demoted and take a $7 million pay cut after announcing the Super Bowl, my agent is getting a 100 percent pay cut.

Announcing the Super Bowl, getting rave reviews, favorable comparisons to the former Golden Child, and THEN demoted behind a rookie. Yeah, that agent needs to go. 

• Like 4

Gotta say I'm quite happy it appears Kafka & Wink will be back in NY now. Those two & Daboll had some mojo I think they can improve on. And Kafka was the Daniel Jones whisper-er. Hopefully since they didn't land the HC jobs for Arizona or Indianapolis they'll return and keep it rolling.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Raiders have officially released Carr

Vegas will save $29.25 million against the cap

I never understood why the Raiders tried to trade him in the first place.  On the face of it, it makes no sense for either party.  Trades can’t be finalized for a couple days yet, right?  So the Raiders ran the risk of having another team verbally agree to a trade, keeping Carr on the roster and having the $40 mil become guaranteed, then seeing the other team back out a few days later when it came time to sign the paperwork and make the trade official.  Granted, teams don’t bowl out of trades that often, but it has happened.

Trade only made sense for Carr if he thought there wasn’t a market for him and he’d end up signing for a lot less than $40 mil.  That doesn’t seem to be the case.

I kinda want Rodgers to step out of whatever cave he’s in for his darkness retreat and find out the Packers decided not to wait and traded him.  Though other GMs are presumably too smart to trade for him without some assurance he’d actually play for them instead of retiring.  I’m a fan of Rodgers the player, but the will he-won’t he drama has worn thin, as has the whole thing with the psychedelics and the darkness cleanses and whatever else.  As someone else said, most qbs would get torn to shreds if they talked about shrooms and pilgrimages to the desert while their play was declining.  I don’t even think it’s a race thing.  What would we say of Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins announced they were going to go sit in the desert to do some shrooms and commune with crystals?  Rodger strikes me as a shallow guy, so his counterculture deep thinker routine makes me laugh.

Edited by Doc Townsend
Auto-correct and I are not on good terms
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

And Kafka was the Daniel Jones whisper-er. 

He threw 9 fewer TDs in 4 more games than he did as a rookie three years ago. Is he really a whisperer or is it just that Saquon actually played? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

He threw 9 fewer TDs in 4 more games than he did as a rookie three years ago. Is he really a whisperer or is it just that Saquon actually played? 

That's being... a little selective in picking the stat to compare. This completion percentage was way up, INTs were way down, QB rating up, QBR up, yards up, and game winning drives up. I don't think there is any argument he improved last year, probably from a variety of factors.

35 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That's being... a little selective in picking the stat to compare. This completion percentage was way up, INTs were way down, QB rating up, QBR up, yards up, and game winning drives up. I don't think there is any argument he improved last year, probably from a variety of factors.

He's a starting quarterback who threw *15* touchdowns in this era. It's not selective to say, "dang, that's not very many". Yeah, he cut down on interceptions and his completion% went up. All that is wonderful. But a "quarterback whisperer" should get better than <1 touchdown and 200 yards per game from his fourth-year quarterback. 

Edited by Tabe

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He's a starting quarterback who threw *15* touchdowns in this era. It's not selective to say, "dang, that's not very many". Yeah, he cut down on interceptions and his completion% went up. All that is wonderful. But a "quarterback whisperer" should get better than <1 touchdown and 200 yards per game from his fourth-year quarterback. 

It's a little of both here. His TDs were down, but look who his receivers were. How many TDs can you realistically throw when your WR1 is Richie James? Every stat improved except TDs. I stand to believe his TDs would have been up if he had better receivers.

Saquon playing well, the O-line being improved, the coaching... they're all factors that helped. But Kafka got him into the zone multiple times with the play calling. Got him rolling were he wasn't throwing TDs but he was stringing 8 / 9 completions in a row together. He was making the right calls on read options. He was scoring rushing TDs. I'd consider that a Jones whisper-er. But that's up for interpretation.

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Its not a lot of TDs, no. I'm no Daniel Jones defender, although he seems like a nice guy, but he had no WRs to throw to and with Barkley playing well, it made sense they'd be running more. That's not a reflection on Jones, but on the play-calling and the circumstances around him. That stat would matter more if his Red Zone percentage was terrible or something, showing they were calling passes and he was just failing at it. But his red zone stats were 65% completion percentage, 12 TDs, and 1 INT.

Poor Jones. No respect. Where is Rippa to defend his franchise QB.

5 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's a little of both here. His TDs were down, but look who his receivers were. How many TDs can you realistically throw when your WR1 is Richie James? Every stat improved except TDs. I stand to believe his TDs would have been up if he had better receivers.

Saquon playing well, the O-line being improved, the coaching... they're all factors that helped. But Kafka got him into the zone multiple times with the play calling. Got him rolling were he wasn't throwing TDs but he was stringing 8 / 9 completions in a row together. He was making the right calls on read options. He was scoring rushing TDs. I'd consider that a Jones whisper-er. But that's up for interpretation.

100% fair - I was basically ignoring his rushing, which was really good. 

I guess I just expect more from a guy throwing to Kenny Golladay 😉

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Poor Jones. No respect. Where is Rippa to defend his franchise QB.

I don't want anything attached to my name that can be used against me when they sign him for a trillion dollars and he goes back to 30 turnovers a season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

It appears Tampa Bay is hiring Seattle QB coach Dave Canales as OC

Meanwhile - there are reports that Rex Ryan is the "top choice" to be the new DC in Denver. In the meantime, they have also requested to interview Vance Joseph

Also - Eric Bieniemy is interviewing with Washington today for their open OC job. Many believe it is a done deal that he will join Ron Rivera's staff. If he is stupid enough to leave KC for DC - I will believe every single reported reason why he hasn't gotten a HC gig

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears Tampa Bay is hiring Seattle QB coach Dave Canales as OC

Meanwhile - there are reports that Rex Ryan is the "top choice" to be the new DC in Denver. In the meantime, they have also requested to interview Vance Joseph

Also - Eric Bieniemy is interviewing with Washington today for their open OC job. Many believe it is a done deal that he will join Ron Rivera's staff. If he is stupid enough to leave KC for DC - I will believe every single reported reason why he hasn't gotten a HC gig

He may feel he needs to get out from under Andy Reid's shadow, if he makes any improvements to the WC's offense it would hopefully get him a head coaching job.

14 hours ago, Mister TV said:

He may feel he needs to get out from under Andy Reid's shadow, if he makes any improvements to the WC's offense it would hopefully get him a head coaching job.

The whole "he needs to go somewhere else and call plays" thing is infuriating. Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy didn't call plays under Reid either, and they both got head coaching jobs pretty damn quick, while not having as good of offenses as Bieniemy has.

• Like 2

Going to a place where it is almost certain the head coach and staff will be blown out at the end of the year (because they suck and/or a new owner) is not ideal. And to gamble that you will be the one person who survives and gets promoted to HC is sketchy

Commanders sure do love talking to the media if the play by play of Bieniemy interviewing is any indicator

Ron Rivera has had 4 offensive coordinators in Carolina and DC. One has become a head coach (Rob Chudzinski, for a year in Cleveland), the others were Mike Shula, Norv Turner, and Scott Turner.

That’s slightly less promising than the recent Commanders history with offensive coordinators where Sean McVay became a head coach and a few more OCs are head coaches now with a job or two in-between being the Commanders OC and being an NFL Head Coach.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The whole "he needs to go somewhere else and call plays" thing is infuriating. Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy didn't call plays under Reid either, and they both got head coaching jobs pretty damn quick, while not having as good of offenses as Bieniemy has.

If you had to guess, what would you say the reason is that Bienemy hasn't gotten a head coaching gig? 

• Like 1

Per his agent - Bienemy is taking the Washington gig

Apparently (besides a large sum of cash) his title will be Assistant HC/Offensive Coordinator (so it will seem like a promotion) and he apparently will be able to pick his staff.

What I am curious about is if he is fine with Sam Howell as his QB

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

If you had to guess, what would you say the reason is that Bienemy hasn't gotten a head coaching gig? 

I mean, there's the obvious elephant in the room answer that he's black.

• Thanks 1