DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Ok, fraud is a little strong,  I was irritable this morning,  i still think it’s a classless money grab.

Ok, that I can see. 

43 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I like the answers Rippa gave but I’d also include Seattle and Detroit. Both have two first round picks and QBs they could move on from should they get the #1 pick.

I think Seattle is gonna do what the Giants are going to do and overpay their current QB. At worst, Seattle will franchise Geno for a year and kick the QB decision a year down the road.

Jared Goff is actually a "bargain" for the Lions (relative to what the QB market dictates). He will be paid $26 million for each of the next two seasons. As comparison - the belief is the Giants are going to give Daniel Jones roughly $38 million a year. By the time next season starts - that would put him roughly as the 15th highest paid QB (Lamar, Herbert and Burrow's new deals will shoot the market upwards)

Obviously not as cheap as a QB on a rookie contract but cheap enough to continue to build around him for the next two seasons then have to give up multiple picks for a hope that a guy doesn't bust

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I think Texans are fine with either Young or Stroud whoever drops to 2. Even better if they have their choice. 

I think they’ll have to be fine with that, because if anyone trades up to #1 clearly it’s to take a QB. To me I’d prefer Young (even with the size criticisms). 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:17 PM, Doc Townsend said:

God, I still haven’t trained my brain to think of a game when I hear the word “cornhole”

First time I heard of it was driving on backcountry Ohio roads and seeing farms with signs on the road saying "Cornhole available here" and being EXTREMELY CONFUSED. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, Tabe said:

"No coach should be allowed to structure a contract in a way to maximize his buyout."  Pray tell, why the heck not?

I'd say you end up with Jimbo Fisher but A&M did that to themselves.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JLowe said:

First time I heard of it was driving on backcountry Ohio roads and seeing farms with signs on the road saying "Cornhole available here" and being EXTREMELY CONFUSED. 

Backcountry roads, they probably did mean both. Pick your poison

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think Seattle is gonna do what the Giants are going to do and overpay their current QB. At worst, Seattle will franchise Geno for a year and kick the QB decision a year down the road.

Jared Goff is actually a "bargain" for the Lions (relative to what the QB market dictates). He will be paid $26 million for each of the next two seasons. As comparison - the belief is the Giants are going to give Daniel Jones roughly $38 million a year. By the time next season starts - that would put him roughly as the 15th highest paid QB (Lamar, Herbert and Burrow's new deals will shoot the market upwards)

Obviously not as cheap as a QB on a rookie contract but cheap enough to continue to build around him for the next two seasons then have to give up multiple picks for a hope that a guy doesn't bust

I’m beginning to think Giants ownership just enjoys torturing the fan base. Paying Jones that much when his career high in TD passes is 24, and that was his rookie season should be criminal. He put up those 24 in 12 starts (which does impress me) then he’s regressed to 11 TDs in 14 starts, 10 TDs in 11 starts, and 15 TDs in 16 starts. Yes his INT numbers have went down, but the lack of touchdowns is troubling too. 

I agree on Goff being a bargain too. He looked like he did during his better LA years for parts of this season, and the Lions made strides with him. 

I don't disagree that they'll be over paying Jones. But let's at least mention that Richie James, Isiah Hodges, & Darius Slayton is probably a bottom 5 receiver core. The Giants offensive success this year was based on scheme and Jones & Barkley dragging the rest of the team along for the ride by sheer force of will. Jones might be as good as those year one numbers show if he had the year one receiving group again. Or maybe not.

But downing his play based solely on numbers doesn't tell the full story.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Kleiman is reporting the league is going to take a look at banning "hip drop" tackles, because there's nothing else wrong with the game whatsoever

You hated my posted about this like a week ago didn't you?

Bonus points to me for not having to use Dov Kleiman as a source

• Sad 1

Dallas just decided to promote Brian Schottenheimer to OC because they like it when you ride Daddy's coat tails

The Broncos let DC Ejiro Evero out of his contract so he can pursue other jobs. Reportedly, he is going to end up either in Carolina or Minnesota

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Broncos let DC Ejiro Evero out of his contract so he can pursue other jobs. Reportedly, he is going to end up either in Carolina or Minnesota

Didn't even get to Minnesota as the Panthers hired him

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reports are that the finalists for the Cardinals HC job are Brian Flores, Mike Kafka and Lou Anarumo

I look forward to the opportunity to refer to the Cardinals' perpetual struggles as being literally "Kafkaesque"

• Like 4
  • Haha 3