DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

This thread is LONG but I think is worth reading:

I do think with all the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games the NFL needs to do a better job of making it fair for all teams in regards to rest days. I don't necessarily think there is a grand conspiracy but it should be a bigger concern and focus which clearly it wasn't. I hope someone with some pull sees this and makes a push to fix it for 2024.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I do think with all the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games the NFL needs to do a better job of making it fair for all teams in regards to rest days. I don't necessarily think there is a grand conspiracy but it should be a bigger concern and focus which clearly it wasn't. I hope someone with some pull sees this and makes a push to fix it for 2024.

Related to this - Mike Florio, who hasn't met a conspiracy theory that he doesn't like, pointed this out last week

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/many-teams-that-opposed-thursday-flexing-got-two-short-week-games/

This season, seven teams will play on twice Thursday after playing on the prior Sunday: Steelers, Bears, Saints, Commanders, 49ers, Lions, and Packers. Of those seven teams, PFT has learned that at least six of them opposed late-season Thursday flexing.

Per various league sources, the Steelers, Bears, Saints, Commanders, Lions, and Packers opposed flexing on Thursday nights.

Only eight teams were against it. The Jets, who opposed the proposal, got a short-week Black Friday game. (The Jets are nevertheless very happy with that assignment._

We’ve been unable to determine whether the 49ers voted against late-season Thursday flexing. The fact that the Giants also opposed the change would seem to suggest that the 49ers didn’t, since that would be nine total opponents, not eight. (The Panthers and Broncos reportedly abstained.)

The league denies that this was a case of retribution for opposing Thursday flexing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

A new bylaw has passed so teams may now carry a 3rd QB without burning a roster spot.  

To clarify - the QB still has to be on the 53 man roster

But basically teams get to have one extra quasi active player on game day (I say quasi because they can only play if the other 2 QBs go down)

Its all rather silly as a 'never played with the starters and kinda sucks' third option QB isn't going to rock anyone's world, but at least in the .02% chance both QBs go down it makes people feel better. I doubt most teams will even use it except in situations like the playoffs.

The vote passed 24-8 meaning it got exactly the number it needed

Giants, Jets, Packers, Bears, Raiders, Detroit, Bengals and Steelers were the teams to vote against

It means, for all intents and purposes, the NFL will be making judgements starting Week 9 (to fit the 28 days for Week 13)

Also - teams can't play two away Thursday games

The currently scheduled Thursday Night Games

• Week 13: Seattle at Dallas (That ain't moving)
  • Week 14: New England at Pittsburgh
  • Week 15: LA Rams at Vegas
  • Week 16: New Orleans at LA Rams
  • Week 17: NY Jets at Cleveland

EDIT - also, the NFL will Flex two Thursday games max for the season and they claim that to move a game it will require "an even higher bar than flexing a Sunday Night game"

I was thinking about heading up to Buffalo this year to watch a game, not that I would have aimed for Week 13+ due to the risk of snow but I don't know how anyone planning to see a game for a good team (or a bad team playing a good team) can possibly plan in advance with all the flex possibilities.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The 2025 NFL Draft will take place at Lambeau Field

Oh please, please,  by Crom, Rhylor, and the winds of the field and sky, let it be a fucking blizzard that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So according to Schefter, Tom Brady is now a part owner of the Vegas.  How much of a percentage who knows but can figure it is much.  But if this goes through then FOX has saved them a ton of money  No way in hell a part owner even less than 1% is doing broadcasting for the entire league 

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So according to Schefter, Tom Brady is now a part owner of the Vegas.  How much of a percentage who knows but can figure it is much.  But if this goes through then FOX has saved them a ton of money  No way in hell a part owner even less than 1% is doing broadcasting for the entire league 

Except that Fox has apparently already said they were ok with Brady being a part owner.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/12/report-fox-has-blessed-tom-bradys-potential-status-as-raiders-minority-owner/

5 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Except that Fox has apparently already said they were ok with Brady being a part owner.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/12/report-fox-has-blessed-tom-bradys-potential-status-as-raiders-minority-owner/

Would the league be okay with it?

Maybe just don't let him call Raiders (or maybe AFC West) games?

look if you're waiting for FOX to have ethical issues with on-air talent having potential conflicts of interest that could compromise journalistic integrity...

43 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Would the league be okay with it?

color analysts appearing to have an editorial slant for/against any given team has never bothered the league before, I don't expect it to start now.

It's not like he's going to go Bobby Heenan and insist the Denver Broncos are trying to dive through the window to escape every time the Raiders commit a penalty against them (although now I kinda wanna hear that)

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

A new bylaw has passed so teams may now carry a 3rd QB without burning a roster spot.  

In the spirit of the NHL, the 3rd QB should be seated in full pads somewhere in the stadium like an emergency goalie.

Game might slow down as teams look for their 3rd QB like trying to find John Tenta in the crowd during the Ultimate Warrior/Earthquake push-ups angle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

In the spirit of the NHL, the 3rd QB should be seated in full pads somewhere in the stadium like an emergency goalie.

Game might slow down as teams look for their 3rd QB like trying to find John Tenta in the crowd during the Ultimate Warrior/Earthquake push-ups angle.

God what a great angle. I mean, other than it building to Ultimate Warrior versus Dino Bravo matches.

• Like 1

The Chargers and Austin Ekeler have reached an agreement

Ekeler will have approximately $2 million in incentives added to his contract for this season and then will become a FA at season's end

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

God what a great angle. I mean, other than it building to Ultimate Warrior versus Dino Bravo matches.

How have I never seen that before? That was great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

🎶When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way...

From your first cigarette, to your last dyin' day!🎶 

🎶When you're a Jet, and the spit hits the fan...

You got brothers around! You're a family man!🎶

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

How about having the QB locked in a shark cage with Robocop (or other security focused IP) guarding the cage.

Hell, the NFL could partner with Disney or WB and have any number of licensed characters guarding the QB.

• Haha 1