DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

On 10/20/2023 at 8:34 AM, J.T. said:

Here is the first teaser.

I am probably hating one of Rippa's prior posts, but I didn't feel like paging that far back just to find the trailer.  I feel like every click turns into monies for the Warren family estate and i would like to limit my financial enabling as much as I can.

TBH it can't be any worse than the last one(which was more boring than anything).

Until our trip to Spirit Halloween yesterday for the kids’ costumes I hadn’t realized there was a Killer Klowns from Outer Space merchandising bonanza going on this year. Very weird to see those silly scamps now being represented as much as Freddy, Jason, Michael, and Chucky. There was also quite a bit of Mars Attacks merch.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.fangoria.com/original/ridley-scott-thoughts-new-alien-movie-fede-alvarez/

Apparently Ridley Scott watched the new Alien, and...

Reveal hidden contents

he liked it, he really, really liked it! Which Fede Alvarez says is totally insane. 

I had faith that Alvarez would respect the franchise.

11 hours ago, (BP) said:

Until our trip to Spirit Halloween yesterday for the kids’ costumes I hadn’t realized there was a Killer Klowns from Outer Space merchandising bonanza going on this year. Very weird to see those silly scamps now being represented as much as Freddy, Jason, Michael, and Chucky. There was also quite a bit of Mars Attacks merch.

They got merchandising deals out the ass, it's crazy. I walked in and immediately saw a little kid walking around with an Art the Clown mask on and was genuinely taken aback haha. Must've been how parents felt when Freddy came out. 

• Like 1

As it's Halloween next week, fancy doing your top horror films of all time? Here's my 20-1.

20. The Wicker Man (1973).

19. 28 Days Later (2002).

18. They Live (1988).

17. The Evil Dead II (1987).

16. The Blair Witch Project (1999).

15. Saw (2004).

14. What We Do in The Shadows (2014).

13. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).

12. The Fly (1986).

11. Jaws (1975).

10. The Silence of the Lambs (1991).

9. Scream (1996).

8. Let the Right One In (2008).

7. Shaun of the Dead (2004).

6. Dawn of the Dead (1978).

5. Psycho (1960).

4. Night of the Living Dead (1968).

3. The Exorcist (1973).

2. Halloween (1978).

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974).

On 10/22/2023 at 6:36 AM, J.T. said:

Red Band trailer for Suitable Flesh

Directed by Joe Lynch and starting Heather Graham, Judah Lewis, Bruce Davison, and Barbara Crampton.

Based on HP Lovecraft's The Thing on the Doorstep.

It is strange how Kenneth Branagh took one of Agatha Christie's weakest effort and made a decent movie out of it and now Joe Lynch has taken HP Lovecraft's shittiest story and apparently made what might turn out to be a brilliant dark comedy.

I caught a preview screening of this a few weeks ago. Definitely quite a few darkly comedic moments (and a really inventive "attempt to kill the monster" that I don't think I have seen done before) but I will advise that is it overall a much slower burn than Joe Lynch's most recent efforts like Mayhem and Everly. Well worth watching nonetheless, a good mix of Stuart Gordon worship (which again, given the screenwriting pedigree shouldn't be that surprising) and bits inspired by steamy 90s erotic thrillers that did justice to both of those inspirations. 

• Like 1

So far I have caught Evil Dead Rise, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (92), Renfield, Pope's Exorcist, & 7/8 of The Fall of the House of Usher. Not seen near as much as I hoped though I suppose I still have 6 nights to go. Still planning to catch M3gan. Considering checking out Goosebumps as well though still unsure on that one. Was considering No One Will Save You and maybe Totally Killer as well. Also want to finally see The Thing (82) in full though maybe leave that for Halloween night since it will probably be the best to me. Despite liking Russell and David as much as I do I and seeing parts of it I have somehow never seen the whole movie.

I watched The Fog for the first time in forever, and it was like seeing it for the first time.

I could go on about it forever, but I’m preaching to the converted on here. The one observation I can’t let go of is that the relationship between Janet Leigh as the mayor and Nancy Loomis as her aide is 100% the prototype for Leslie Knope and April in Parks and Rec. 

• Haha 1

I've really gotten into watching Parks and Rec because they show endless marathons of it on IFC, and I LOVE The Fog, so that's super funny. 

Prince of Darkness is coming out on 4K and some FB ad for it (it was a post by Fango or Bloody Disgusting or something) said it was the third-best Carpenter horror film. That's bullshit. The Fog is either second or first and if it's just personal choice, I'd put it at #1. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I'd interchange The Fog and The Thing as my #1 and #2 best Carpenter horror films depending on what day it was.  Halloween is a solid #3 and Prince of Darkness is #4.

Edited by J.T.

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I'd interchange The Fog and The Thing as my #1 and #2 best Carpenter horror films depending on what day it was.  Halloween is a solid #3 and Prince of Darkness is #4.

Don't know much about the Fog. What is it about? Should I add to my watch list alongside The Thing?

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Don't know much about the Fog. What is it about? Should I add to my watch list alongside The Thing?

To tell you what it's about would almost spoil it.  And yes, I would most certainly watch it along with The Thing and Prince of Darkness.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s the closest answer to the question, “What if Val Lewton made a Scooby Doo movie?”

Also

Spoiler

I’m glad I’m not the only psycho online that considered that Jamie Lee Curtis’s hitchhiker character is Laurie Strode dealing with her trauma by thumbing across the country on a journey of self discovery and sexual liberation. I know it’s stupid, but there are so many different Laurie outcomes already, who could give a shit if there’s another one? 

• Like 2

The Fog really is special. I remember putting it off for a while as a youngster because the idea of a fog being anything more than creepy ambience made me roll my eyes. But this movie was so much more than that.

Without even getting into the plot, there are so many elements that I love about this movie. You got that small cozy coastal town vibe, which is really one of the best vibes you can have before you wreak havoc in a horror story. You got Adrienne Barbeau playing a cool radio DJ whose voice serves as this uniting force throughout the movie. Tom Atkins being Tom mother fucking Atkins. Jamie Lee Curtis gets to plays a much more interesting character than Laurie Strode, and she gets to work with her mom Janet Leigh.

And the fucking lighting and mood of this movie is just out of this world.

You look at The Thing, Halloween, and The Fog, and you really understand that John Carpenter knew how to fucking execute the plan. Everything clicks in those movies.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I never thought about that! Interesting idea. Is Tom Atkins the same character in The Fog and Halloween III, then?

That’s tricky. He definitely loves booze and women the same way, but Halloween is a movie in the world of Season of the Witch.

• Like 1

One of the other things I love about it is how realistic the dialogue is for a ghost story. Every line is someone pointing out something strange or eerie, but for most of the runtime no one actually can bring themselves to say anything about the supernatural out loud. When someone even broaches it the other person ignores it and talks past them. 

• Like 1

I watched Totally Killer yesterday.  Was a decent slasher/whodunit with time travel(?) mixed in.    It was like if Back to the Future was a horror movie.  

Fun for what it was, definitely felt like had some odd tonal shifts throughout but generally fine.  It's free right now on Prime Video too, so that's a plus.  

• Like 3