DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

I've only seen Evil Dead Rise. The rest is stuff I either never heard of or only had so-so interest in like Thanksgiving and Cobweb.

Been watching 30 Coins the past month. Up to episode 1 of season 2, and I've been digging the show a decent bit. Hopefully the quality keeps up.

I'm proud of myself.  I've seen everything on that list except for Birth / Rebirth and Perpetrator and I probably posted thoughts or capsule reviews on them somewhere in the thread.

As it gets closer to New Year's Eve,  I will post my Best Of 2023 list.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

It's the end of an era.

From the Stephen King official website:

The Dollar Baby Program was disbanded in December 2023. Contracts issued before December 2023 will be honored and will remain approved for one year from their instantiation, as per the terms of their contract. There will be no Dollar Baby extensions after December 1st, 2023.

Looks like the custodian of the program is retiring.

Too bad.  There were quite a few decent productions to come out of that deal.  I'd put the Dollar Baby production of The Boogeyman up against nearly any feature length SK movie.

Edited by J.T.

James Wan may be coming back home... TO HORROR~!!

"You know, I have a tendency to want to go back and forth. So, whenever I make a smaller film, I wanna go and make a big film. Whenever I'm doing a big one, I'm like, “Oh, I wanna go and do a smaller film,” and when I do my smaller films, it tends to be a horror film. So, you know, I feel like the itch for horror is potentially calling, but we'll see."

https://tubitv.com/movies/460209/bloodstone-subspecies-2

https://tubitv.com/movies/466887/subspecies-3-bloodlust

I'm gonna have to go back and watch the first Subspecies but this is a cool two-parter. Full Moon did (does) a lot of crap but their vampire movies were always quality. Anders Hove as Radu is one of the only actually scary looking and acting vampires in movies -- not just scary, but plain badass. Great dialogue, great voice, always drooling blood and coming off like a sadistic parasite. He would have made for a great player in a Necroscope movie. 

EDIT: Also, the folk choir soundtrack is so good! It's nice that they let Richard Band off the hook for the music on these and got something that sounds legit dark and ominous.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Christopher Abbott is replacing Ryan Gosling in the Blumhouse/Universal Wolf Man movie

It is now also officially scheduled to be released October 25, 2024

Derek Cianfrance was supposed to direct but now has left the movie due to Gosling departing

Leigh Whannell (The Invisible Man) is being brought back to direct (he was the original director but was replaced by Cianfrance)

• RIPPA locked this topic