DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

On 7/27/2023 at 5:17 PM, The Natural said:

F1fWu_raEAAn74a?format=jpg&name=small

F1_q4vwaYAk3jpj?format=jpg&name=small

I like how Saw X (2023) will be set between Saw (2004) and Saw II (2005). The two best Saw movies. I thought Lionsgate would save this for next year for the 20th anniversary of Saw considering the attempts to relaunch the franchise with Jigsaw (2017) and Spiral (2021) sucked.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:26 PM, The Natural said:

Natural's Saw rankings:

9. Spiral (2021).

8. Jigsaw (2017).

7. Saw 3D (2010).

6. Saw V (2008).

5. Saw IV (2007).

4. Saw III (2006).

3. Saw VI (2009).

2. Saw II (2005).

1. Saw (2004).

I'm a fan of the series mainly for John Kramer/The Jigsaw Killer portrayed by Tobin Bell, Amanda played by Shawnee Smith, Hello Zepp by Charlie Clouser and the twist endings to varying degrees of successes. I do get tired of the secret apprentices trope. Spiral is last on my list by far. It's not a Saw film without Jigsaw. Saw 3D was disappointing as it was billed as the final chapter and hardly had John in it it, the biggest asset of the franchise and Cary Elwes long awaited return as Dr. Gordon.

Saw X (2023) is 85% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. As a big fan of the series, I never saw that coming.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

Saw X (2023) is 85% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. As a big fan of the series, I never saw that coming.

Saw Saw X (2023), see what I did there, last night. I enjoyed the film with one or two misgivings. The highlight of the film was the sole focus on John Kramer/Jigsaw. Amazing to think Tobin Bell is 81. Setting the film between Saw (2004) and Saw (2005) was a great move. This was Saw 1.5. I will say the mandatory twist and the third act lost its way with me.

10. Spiral (2021).

9. Jigsaw (2017).

8. Saw 3D (2010).

7. Saw V (2008).

6. Saw IV (2007).

5. Saw III (2006).

4. Saw X (2023).

3. Saw VI (2009).

2. Saw II (2005).

1. Saw (2004).

• Like 2

On 9/29/2023 at 9:59 AM, RIPPA said:

I am sure this is gonna end up in multiple threads but teaser for Toxic Avenger

Red Band trailer - language for like the first 45 seconds and then gore for the rest

Caught the Beyond Fest screening for this tonight in Los Angeles. While it definitely took some adjusting to both my eyes and my brain that I was seeing this character filtered through a professional decently-budgeted studio production with some fairly major names, there was still plenty of wild moments that left me speechless and still on the way out of the theater really processing what I just saw. That's a thumbs up, btw. Quite a few nods to those of us sick freaks that grew up on classic Troma Team as well.

• Like 1

I also went to see Saw X with my daughter and one of her friends while visiting her for Friend & Family Weekend at JMU. 

I enjoyed it more than I expected to, as did my daughter.  For once, we had a coherent story and Jigsaw's extra screen time allows him to wax poetic on his motives and remind us why the first installment was so great.  Tobin Bell is a national treasure.

The action in Saw X takes place in the interim between the first movie and Saw III as we eventually learn that

Spoiler

both Amanda Young and Mark Hoffman are playing nice and are solid members of Team Jigsaw.  You can tell there are cracks in the foundation and eventually the two will compete for John's legacy of murder, but not quite yet.

All I wanted was a Saw sequel that put the story first and the death traps second and I think we finally got it.  We almost had it with Spiral, but Spiral decided to merely offer more of the same instead of telling an innovative story like this movie does.  Jigsaw is human.  Who knew?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 10:56 AM, Curt McGirt said:

There's a movie with killer hair in it, right? Sounds like something I KNOW I've seen in an anime, at least.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:27 AM, (BP) said:

There’s the Hell Toupee episode of Amazing Stories. 

One of the segments of John Carpenter's Body Bags is entitled (duh) "Hair" and features Stacy Keach.  It it totally fucking great. The entire anthology is awesome, actually.

There is also a fairly decent Afro-centric horror comedy joint entitled Bad Hair where the main character is a black woman who has a haunted weave.  It sounds silly but it is actually pretty good.

There are probably hundreds of J-Horror and K-Horror movies like 0.0 Mhz featuring female angry revenge ghosts with creepy animated hair, but the examples I gave are actually about killer hair.

Edited by J.T.

Ah, you mean The Bride with White Hair based on the character Lian Nichang from the wuxia novella, Baifa Monü Zhuan.  Not horror really, but one of my favorite movies anyway.

Ronny Yu directed  Bride and the role of Lian was played by Bridgette Lin.  We will not discuss how much of a celebrity crush that JH had on both Bridgette Lin and Maggie Cheung. 

• Like 1

If you had told me weeks ago that Saw X would be the best reviewed movie on the weekend that a highly anticipated Exorcist sequel would hit the big screen and that the reviews for Believer would be terrible, I'd have said you were crazy.

Most of the horror movie review mavens I trust also say that Believer is disappointing so it looks like I'm going to see either A Haunting in Venice or Killers of the Flower Moon this weekend.  Probably the Hercule Poirot joint so that I don't walk out of the theater filled with fury and punch a random dude for no reason.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 12:45 PM, J.T. said:

I also went to see Saw X with my daughter and one of her friends while visiting her for Friend & Family Weekend at JMU. 

I enjoyed it more than I expected to, as did my daughter.  For once, we had a coherent story and Jigsaw's extra screen time allows him to wax poetic on his motives and remind us why the first installment was so great.  Tobin Bell is a national treasure.

The action in Saw X takes place in the interim between the first movie and Saw III as we eventually learn that

Reveal hidden contents

both Amanda Young and Mark Hoffman are playing nice and are solid members of Team Jigsaw.  You can tell there are cracks in the foundation and eventually the two will compete for John's legacy of murder, but not quite yet.

All I wanted was a Saw sequel that put the story first and the death traps second and I think we finally got it.  We almost had it with Spiral, but Spiral decided to merely offer more of the same instead of telling an innovative story like this movie does.  Jigsaw is human.  Who knew?

Good review, mate. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

The Exorcist: Believer getting shit reviews doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Dominion and Exorcist: Heretic were simply awful but Exorcist III (based on WPB's novel, Legion) is not entirely without it's charm. 

I was able to attend the Mad Monster Party horror con in Charlotte, NC waaaaaaaaay back in 2011 where I was able to catch a viewing of a fan edit of Exorcist III that is as faithful to the novel, Legion, as you can get.  Brad Dourif introduced the film and stayed for Q&A.

I suppose people saw money in that because Shout Factory released the Director's Cut for Exorcist III in 2016 bundled into a two DVD "Collector's Edition" along with the theatrical release.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

David Gordon Green’s transition from respected indie auteur to studio hack has been like something out of a lazily constructed fictional Hollywood cautionary tale. I’m sure he’s got a pretty sweet in-ground pool though, so who am I? 

I have plenty of time for both cuts of  Exorcist III. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Schrader’s Dominion cut all the way through, just The Beginning, which sucks quite a bit. I’ve experienced Pep Boys waiting rooms more entertaining than The Heretic. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

The Exorcist: Believer getting shit reviews doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Me neither. The series has always been cursed, and I don't believe in such things, but the law of probability said something was gonna happen. There just isn't an Exorcist movie without it. III was awesome but even that had an ending almost ruined by the studio. 

EDIT: DAMN IT. I'm not sure if I can go to Killers because my right leg can't bend yet. *sigh* Anybody been to the theater in a wheelchair? Maybe I could just go all the way to the front? My walker or a cane would work fine...

EDIT II: Ooof. The time I broke my arm and went to see Fulci's The Black Cat with stitches in, I started to... leak... and had to leave

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

Saw X getting a mid 80s fresh Rotten Tomatoes rating I never expected.

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

Dominion and Exorcist: Heretic were simply awful but Exorcist III (based on WPB's novel, Legion) is not entirely without it's charm. 

I was able to attend the Mad Monster Party horror con in Charlotte, NC waaaaaaaaay back in 2011 where I was able to catch a viewing of a fan edit of Exorcist III that is as faithful to the novel, Legion, as you can get.  Brad Dourif introduced the film and stayed for Q&A.

I suppose people saw money in that because Shout Factory released the Director's Cut for Exorcist III in 2016 bundled into a two DVD "Collector's Edition" along with the theatrical release.

I really like The Exorcist III. I gather the TV series is good too.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Me neither. The series has always been cursed, and I don't believe in such things, but the law of probability said something was gonna happen. There just isn't an Exorcist movie without it. III was awesome but even that had an ending almost ruined by the studio. 

EDIT: DAMN IT. I'm not sure if I can go to Killers because my right leg can't bend yet. *sigh* Anybody been to the theater in a wheelchair? Maybe I could just go all the way to the front? My walker or a cane would work fine...

EDIT II: Ooof. The time I broke my arm and went to see Fulci's The Black Cat with stitches in, I started to... leak... and had to leave

We're in agreement. Get well soon.

Night Swim

Written and Directed by Bryce McGuire (Every House is Haunted, Soon You Will Be Gone and Possibly Eaten)

Executive Producer:  James Wan

Distributed by Blumhouse

Starring:  Kerry Condon, Wyatt Russell, Nancy Lenehan,

In theaters on 5 January 2024

Based on the short film, Night Swim, also directed and written by Bryce McGuire (and Rod Blackhurst)

• Thanks 1