DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

Man, the practical FX in this are OTT

Spoiler

There's a part during the transformation of Rae Dawn Chong back into the gargoyle where she's talking in closeup, then drops her head and the entire top to back of the head splits open and a new head starts to come out that I SWEAR there is no cut and how they managed to pull it off is totally baffling. There is a total frisson of unreality in that moment that's as close to "how'd they do that?" as I can remember seeing in, like, forever. 

EDIT: Hmmm... I must've forgot that Darkside ran from '83-'88 on TV. So, it feels like Crypt upstaged Darkside and Romero said "okay then, we did this shit first with Creepshow, we're gonna match you" and came out with the movie (which was originally Creepshow 3). It woulda been cool if Showtime or Cinemax picked up Darkside so we had duelling shows, only with one being all-EC and the rest all-original, both full-adult. Ah, what could've been...

EDIT II: And I COMPLETELY FORGOT about the awesome show Monsters! It was post-Darkside and my parents used to rent for me the three-episode VHS copies they had out, I think there were three of them. I may have watched the show on TV in real time too? Don't remember. Man, I loved that shit. All of them seem to be on Youtube so I picked out this, the final episode, for a watch. The King story is great so this probably is too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw_PUaYgkLs&ab_channel=GuillermoMárquezDiezDeBonilla.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

It is also pretty awesome that Lot 249 is based on one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's rare ventures into gothic horror genre and that Lover's Vow is an adaptation of Yuki-onna / The Woman in the Snow from Lafcadio Hearn's / Koizumi Yakumo's magnum opus, Kwaidan.

Too bad we'll never see the planned sequel that languished in dev hell.   Robert Bloch's Almost Human and Stephen King's Pinfall and Rainy Season were in line to be adapted for a proposed follow-up.  George Romero co-wrote Pinfall with King.

Last Voyage of the Demeter is currently at 36% on RT.  I am a bit bummed.  I'll wait for the Audience Score to come out and hope that current Freshness Rating is the result of grumpy critics review bombing it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

HA! Peter Sobczynski gave it 3 1/2 on the Ebert site. I'm going, fuck RT.

Reading about "Rainy Season" made me want to go re-read Nightmares and Dreamscapes when I was reading up on these things yesterday. "Home Delivery" is way too balls-out to not have already shown up in adaptation on Creepshow. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

A lot of the Sherlock youtube channels also have Conan Doyle thriller/horror stories and some of them are pretty wild. 

The Captain of the Polestar is one of the best ghost stories I've ever read and Lot 249 and The Ring of Thoth were obvious inspirations for Universal's The Mummy.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Reading about "Rainy Season" made me want to go re-read Nightmares and Dreamscapes when I was reading up on these things yesterday. "Home Delivery" is way too balls-out to not have already shown up in adaptation on Creepshow. 

Ryuhei Kitamura desperately wants to adapt Home Delivery but no one is brave enough to front him the money.  I am thinking that DVDVR Films needs to get a kickstarter going.

Guillermo Del Toro produced an animated version of Home Delivery, but I don't think it has ever been seen outside of the 2005 RiverRun International Film Festival

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I forget what it’s called, but i heard recently some ACD story about a plastic surgeon (or Victorian equivalent) working on a woman’s face without anesthesia and it was pretty gruesome. 

edit: the case of lady sannox

Edited by odessasteps

I read a Fango interview with one of the cast members of Demeter who was a dyed-in-the-wool Horror Kid like myself and they have him doing a Drac vs. Drac list. He seemed super stoked and reminded me that not only is this a Dracula movie, but a UNIVERSAL STUDIOS DRACULA MOVIE. So if you aren't gonna see that in the theater I don't really think you're much of a fan. This isn't some Mummy blockbuster revision, this is the real deal. 

Just got back from The Last Voyage of the Demeter, and it was pretty damn good! I wouldn't exactly put it in the rarified air of some of the Hammers, Bram Stoker's, or either Nosferatu but it is more than capable, very well-acted, gory as all get out... really my only complaint is the film is very, very dim, to the point that if you watch it on a TV or computer later you might actually want to crank up the bright on your screen resolution. Don't know if it'd help, but hey. 

Spoiler

I was just kinda having fun with it as a standard, solid vampire flick until they had Drac drain the kid, managed to get an emotional moment going with the stowaway saying a blessing for him, and then he rises from the dead and promptly explodes into flames in the captain's arms. THAT is how you raise your film up a notch in my eyes. 

Of course you might want to take points off for

Spoiler

the ending being an obvious sequel-setter, but whether it gets made or not I'm happy. They have full permission to twist and turn the novel in whatever direction they want as long as they keep a bit of that mean spirit of this one to it. 

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfGT4kzTevI&ab_channel=AdrianAlec

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6tz280

Hey hey! Here are Billy Friedkin's offerings for the '80s Twilight Zone and the '90s Tales from the Crypt. The Twilight one is supposed to be super duper good; I can't recall ever even seeing the Tales episode which is a bit of a surprise. It's got Tia Carrera so...

• Like 1

Ouija Shark may be the dumbest thing I have ever sat through while sipping coffee and doing laundry on a Sunday morning.

Yes, there is a sequel.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

About once a month on Fear, the horror movie channel on Vizio WatchFree+, they have an all day marathon of the silly ass horror joints that you usually see on Syfy at two in the morning.  I think I have seen every movie in the Sharktopus franchise, including the two Godzilla face turn Sharktopus movies, and lost hundreds of brain cells in the process..

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

Just wanted to pop in and say I've been learning pixel art, and in the process I'm using RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD as a reference point.

I started by making most of the major characters, including Tarman, as MegaMan Sprites. From there I experimented with some different styles.

You can read all about it here: https://www.getoutofdepth.com/blog/pixel-art-diaries-1

My most recent piece is a background image I did of the cemetary. It's done in the style of a gameboy sidescroller

rotld_gameboyV2.jpg

• Like 5