DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

F1fWu_raEAAn74a?format=jpg&name=small

F1_q4vwaYAk3jpj?format=jpg&name=small

I like how Saw X (2023) will be set between Saw (2004) and Saw II (2005). The two best Saw movies. I thought Lionsgate would save this for next year for the 20th anniversary of Saw considering the attempts to relaunch the franchise with Jigsaw (2017) and Spiral (2021) sucked.

• Like 1

Natural's Saw rankings:

9. Spiral (2021).

8. Jigsaw (2017).

7. Saw 3D (2010).

6. Saw V (2008).

5. Saw IV (2007).

4. Saw III (2006).

3. Saw VI (2009).

2. Saw II (2005).

1. Saw (2004).

I'm a fan of the series mainly for John Kramer/The Jigsaw Killer portrayed by Tobin Bell, Amanda played by Shawnee Smith, Hello Zepp by Charlie Clouser and the twist endings to varying degrees of successes. I do get tired of the secret apprentices trope. Spiral is last on my list by far. It's not a Saw film without Jigsaw. Saw 3D was disappointing as it was billed as the final chapter and hardly had John in it it, the biggest asset of the franchise and Cary Elwes long awaited return as Dr. Gordon.

Talk To Me was pretty good.  It wasn't as in your face that I wanted it to be, but the slow and tragic progression of the story more than made up for it. 

I usually like for my supernatural thrillers to have a bit more skepticism from the characters, but the whole Quija thing with the hand was kinda awesome.  Being YouTubers, the Philippou brothers are uniquely qualified to tell this story of Millennials being far too casual with things they probably shouldn't.  When doing it for the lolz goes horribly awry.

Like Hereditary, this movie also touches on themes of loss and the dangers associated with unprocessed grief and the topic never really gets old no matter how many times you put it on screen. 

You almost know from the opening frames how the story will go, but knowing that the other shoe will drop eventually does not make the journey any less heartbreaking.  The cast is exceptional, especially Sophie Wilde.  She has a knack for getting you to invest emotionally in her character and that makes the dread all the more foreboding.

Edited by J.T.

John Waters on the new Exorcist: 

“There’s no movie marketing anymore,” Waters laments. “And I miss it because I don’t know which films to avoid now. I went to see Oppenheimer, which I really liked, but in the movie, we saw a half-hour of trailers, and they all looked like they were the exact same movie. And they all told you the whole movie … It was like, ‘Warning: Don’t see this!’ That’s what it felt like. When I was young, trailers made you feel like, ‘Oh, I gotta see this!’ These just made me feel like, ‘Oh, thank God I saw that so I know not to go!’ Even with horror! I saw a trailer for some new Exorcist rip-off. And it was really a rip-off. I remember Abby, the Black rip-off of The Exorcist that I loved. [Universal] sued [the filmmakers] and won, and then, they had to stop the movie … [This new one] is Abby meets The Exorcist because there was a Black girl and a white girl who get possessed together. And so it just seems stunningly unoriginal. And I like sequels, sometimes, especially the worst ones, so maybe it’s good. I don’t know.”

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: JOHN WATERS SHARES HIS FILTHY DRIVE-IN MEMORIES AND MORE - Rue Morgue (rue-morgue.com)

• Haha 1

The limited release for Cobweb ends today.  The only two showings happen at lunch time (when I am at work) and at 9PM, and I am too old to be out that late on a weekday.  Hopefully, Cobweb will immediately transition to digital so that I can watch it over the weekend.

All Fun and Games

Asa Butterfield is possessed and is killing his friends via childhood games because we need to rip off Squid Games before everyone forgets about it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

All Fun and Games

Asa Butterfield is possessed and is killing his friends via childhood games because we need to rip off Squid Games before everyone forgets about it

I might check this out.  I kinda hate Asa Butterfield and his Batman voice, but this is produced by the Russo Brothers' AGBO Productions, the same folks that co-produced Everything Everywhere All At Once, so it might be decent.

Not only does it kinda rip off Squid Games, but also seems to rip off Evil Dead Rise and it is set in Salem, Massachusetts.   If you are going to rip something off, at least steal from good stuff.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Not only does it kinda rip off Squid Games, but also seems to rip off Evil Dead Rise and it is set in Salem, Massachusetts.   If you are going to rip something off, at least steal from good stuff.

Salem, Massachusetts by way of Winnipeg, Manitoba

• Haha 2

Demeter is starting tomorrow over here and I'm probably going ASAP. Still haven't gotten the old man out to Oppenheimer and really, I'd rather shut my brain off for a good old Dracula Kills Everybody movie than that. 

Speaking of vampires I just watched the end of Lifeforce on TV and my pessimistic mind thought "haha, what if the dude was watching the ship leave at the end and right then the nuke they threatened hit London and wiped everything out". This is why I am not a screenwriter. 

• Like 1

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie is on MGM+ right now and it's easy to forget how good it is. Donner, Hill, and company may have staked the territory first when Tales from the Crypt showed up on HBO in '89 but Darkside in film version was right there with it. The syndication couldn't compare in the least, coming off like Night Gallery 2.0, but the movie might as well have been a trio of EC tales redone for the '90s. It even follows the pattern of getting solid character actors for the roles. Check this lineup:

Spoiler

Steve Buscemi (young as hell)

Julianne Moore (which is jarring, even if she did do Hannibal later)

Christian Slater (where did he go?)

Debbie Harry (singer of Blondie)

William Hickey (the grandpa with the wig in Christmas Vacation if he sounds unfamiliar)

David Johansen (AKA Buster Poindexter, AKA lead singer of the New York Dolls)

Mark Margolis (RIP)

James Remar (from everything, most recently Gotham and voiceovers for Lexus commercials)

Rae Dawn Chong (where did she go? Also: Woof)

Robert Klein (yes, the comedian)

Phew. That's like a whole season of Tales HBO if you spread em out. 

But anyway: good stories, good gore, snarky laughs, and the last tale is actually rather touching. This one deserves more props than it gets.

• Like 1