DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

Bird Box:  Barcelona

Directed by the Pastor brothers.

Starring Mario Casas, Alejandra Howard, Georgina Campbell, Naila Schuberth, Diego Calva.

Debuts on July 14th on Netflix.

Netflix appears to want to cash in on Bird Box by making an anthology series out of it.  The events in future movies will be unrelated to the original film, but will still center around humanity dealing with the onslaught of sanity bending entities invading earth. 

I am okay with this because the follow up novel to Bird Box, Malorie, kinda sucked.

Edited by J.T.

Cobweb

Directed by Samuel Bodin

Starring Lizzy Caplan, Woody Norman, Cleopatra Coleman, Antony Starr

In theaters on July 21st.

I am looking forward to Starr channeling Homelander and portraying the worst dad in any horror movie ever.  Pining for Cleopatra Coleman will be a plus.

Edited by J.T.

Well, to the surprise of no one, Insidious:   The Red Door is getting very disappointing reviews.  It's currently at 40% at RT.  I will wait until the Audience Scores roll in before I decide if I am going to endure it.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:19 AM, RIPPA said:

Natty Knocks

I LIKE Halloween 4. But saying "From the director of Halloween 4" as a catch-point is almost like saying "From the director of Halloween 6". 

Alien... well, the last two were awful to me but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Alien... well, the last two were awful to me but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Fede Alvarez is at the helm, so I have positive but weighted expectations.

The Shining was just on TV. Coincidentally, The Last Detail, The Two Jakes, and The Departed have all been on TV recently and Jack Nicholson is not dead, far as I know. Anyway, I first watched the film on a television in a hotel room in Florida while my parents were out partying (there was a VHS and they actually rented it for me, I must've been like 12) and it freaked me the fuck out. Blinds closed, lights off, all alone. I just watched it again and the finish still hits like someone shot off a gun in the room. Not long after I rented the book from the library and it didn't even closely match up. King needs to clean his loop. Maybe the material was too personal for him to have any perspective. 

• Like 1

The Exorcist: Believer (2023) posters...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1fQU1hacAMDo4j?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1fQVvsaQAIbusg?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1fQWrPaQAYNpVA?format=jpg&name=large

Wasn't sure to post it in this topic or Horror so did both. Where for future reference please, admins? Thanks.

Cobweb has a 60-ish % freshness rating on RT, but I will probably go see Oppenheimer in the theater this weekend aka the horror movie with the bigger budget and wait to rent Cobweb when it comes to digital.

Those Exorcist posters are fucking awesome.  I am addled enough to put one on my wall in the Den of Geek.

Edited by J.T.

And me and my dad are gonna probably go see Oppenheimer. Mom suggested this (while we were arguing over of all things Barbie!); it won't take much twisting his leg. 

P.S. I was pro-Barbie and she was anti-? Oooooookaaaaayyy... At least she thought Gosling would make a good Ken.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

The Exorcist:  Believer

Directed by David Gordon Green

Screenplay by Peter Sattler & David Gordon Green

Starring: Ellen Burstyn, Leslie Odom Jr., Ann Dowd, Lidya Jewett , Olivia Marcum, Raphael Sbarge, Jennifer Nettles, Okwui Okpokwasili

In theaters on October 13th.

• Like 1