DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Any Cronenberg would be the very last idea of remake either. They're so stand-alone and so out there. Dead Ringers is one of the craziest ones and so a complete shock to me. It'd be like making a limited series of Crash. 

Also, making the twins women adds a whole next level of creepiness to the story. 

Kim Kardashian will be the lead in the next season of American Horror Story (season 12). The season will be titled Delicate

Emma Roberts will also be returning after 4 years away

The source material is Danielle Valentine’s upcoming novel Delicate Condition.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Talk to Me

Fuck - I don't need them making the A24 logo creepy

Brought to you by the entire production crew that helmed The Babadook?  I'm in, even though this movie is pretty much just another séance gone wrong joint.  It'll be interesting to see what this movie adds to the catalogue.

Edited by J.T.

On 4/11/2023 at 8:46 AM, RIPPA said:

Kim Kardashian will be the lead in the next season of American Horror Story (season 12). The season will be titled Delicate

Considering the last couple seasons of AHS have been among it's worst, I do not have high hopes.

On 4/13/2023 at 2:27 PM, RIPPA said:

The Last Voyage of the Demeter

They took the scariest chapter in the entire Dracula novel and made a movie out of it?  I'M IN~!

It should also be pretty sad and tragic since we all now how it will end.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 11:46 AM, RIPPA said:

Delicate Condition was a good book.  I hope Kim K brings it and doesn't fuck things up.

Edited by J.T.

Negative reviews are all wrong.  The Pope's Exorcist is fucking bananas.  I got my ass out of bed early to check out a matinee and I was not disappointed.

It is a self aware movie that has fun with its content and does not take itself seriously.  Feels more like Constantine that it does The Exorcist.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

This is more appropriate here

Hollywood Dreams and Nightmares: The Robert Englund Story

Trigger warning - the first person you see is Eli Roth

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Insidious: The Red Door

These movies will never end and I blame all of you

I did not ask for another Insidious installment.  I am not sure who did.

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is more appropriate here

Hollywood Dreams and Nightmares: The Robert Englund Story

Trigger warning - the first person you see is Eli Roth

I hate most of Eli's movies, but he's a perfectly fine horror movie historian.  His AMC+ documentary series, Eli Roth's House of Horror, is actually quite enjoyable.

Edited by J.T.

Just got back from Evil Dead Rise and HOLY SHIT~!  MILLION BILLION STARS~!

The intimate nature of the story is perfect.  It amplifies the malevolence of the evil while also magnifying the courage of the survivors.  It was a tale that nearly broke my heart.  Totally awesome and great!

And fear not!  It would not be a proper send up if there weren't a shitload of callbacks.   I marked for every single one.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Just watched Candyman (2021). It's hard to compare it to the first one, because it's not trying to do what the one from the 90s was trying to do. It's actually quite nice to see that nowadays if they want to make a horror story about the systematic discrimination and terror that black people face in America, they make it with black lead actors and a majority black cast, whereas in the 90s, the main star HAD to be a white person.

Extending the Candyman lore by saying 

Spoiler

that there were always multiple Candymen over the years, and Daniel Robeteille was the first one, that's interesting. Could possibly mine that idea for more movies, if they wanted.

It's good. It is infected with the 2020s "Our approach to lighting this scene is, we're not going to light this scene at all" trend, but what isn't?

• Like 1

So, there are four new horror joints debuting this weekend in theaters and streaming services.

1. The Black Demon
  2. From Black
  3. Clock
  4. The Tank

Scream 7 should be out on digital by Friday.

Sisu is more of an action / exploitation movie, but it will be violent enough for some people to classify it as a horror movie.

The Artifice Girl is solidly in the sci-fi thriller category, however I am sure that some (like me) would treat it as horror much in the same vein as Ex Machina.