DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2023

I think i will be okay as long as he doesn't wear those dumb green goggles or use wooden knives as weapons.  There is where I probably diverge from my grumpy old man comic nerd peers. 

Some elderly farts I know want old school 70's Tomb of Dracula era Blade.   I think that is a horrible idea.

Edited by J.T.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:02 PM, twiztor said:

answering this question here (originally posted in the GotG3 spoilers thread) so it doesn't get lost.

from worst to best:

Iron Man  [first one is awesome but the scale slides with each successive film]

Ant-Man (and the Wasp)  [first is again the best, but i appreciated the changing narrative each time vs. a similar story being told]

Thor  [1 is solid-good, 2 wasn't bad but also not great, 3 is amazing. i'm discounting 4 from this (1-3 > 2-4), but i enjoyed it as well.]

Spider-Man  [solidly good adventures all around. Plus "my" Spidey, Tobey Maguire coming back, seals the deal]

GotG  [1 took a franchise i had zero familiarity with and made me love all of the characters. 2 expanded that in a natural and meaningful way. 3 made me realize how deep my love for these characters went. it is hard to not put this at #1 best, but i feel like the movie is still too fresh in my mind to properly say that.]

Captain America  [feel like Civil War is the least of the three, but even that is good. 1 and Winter Soldier are excellent]

just for fun, here's how i have the two-appearancers (again, worst to best):

Hulk  [do i even need to expand on this?]

Dr. Strange  [both very good but in vastly different ways. maybe just a little too disjointed from each other for me to rate higher]

Black Panther  [1 is a tremendously great film. i had plenty of issues with the second, but overall it made me VERY interested in Namor moving forward]

and the one-shots:

Eternals  [zzzz.....]

Captain Marvel  [just didn't catch me the way i expected. loved the 90s setting, but Carol's later use as 'deus ex machina' really soured me further. more interested in "the Marvels" for Kamala than Carol.]

Black Widow  [loved the movie, but a few years too late and felt unimportant since the main MCU story had moved past this one]

Shang-Chi  [the one that makes me most interested in what comes next]

We have very similar opinions, mate. I rank the twos from worse to best:

• The Incredible Hulk.
  • Doctor Strange.

Still haven't seen Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Of the ones:

• Captain Marvel. I don't give a shit about the upcoming sequel.
  • Eternals.
  • Black Widow. Such a disappointment to me, really needed to come out years earlier. 2014-2018 period perhaps?
  • Shang-Chi. 
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Emma Stone was apparently Disney's choice for Sue Richards.  However, it appears the deal to hire her has fallen apart due to pay.  

Emma Stone is one of my favourites. Love to see her as a live action Spider-Gwen. Can see Sony still wanting to with the Spider spinoffs. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) was on TV the other day and I was thinking back to when she was cast, everybody thought she'd be Mary Jane Watson and not Gwen Stacy.

Edited by The Natural

Amy Pascal says Spider-Man 4 is "in development, but on hold" because of the writers strike.  

I'm just assuming the 4 means this is the MCU Spidey.   

Captain America 4 will now be subtitled Brave World Order

I hope Disney has good lawyers, because these guys won't back down from a fight!

7347b3b389560c85ecc8472b1283fb6f62284ef2

• Haha 2

Uhhhh, so… Tenoch Huerta has been accused of sexual assault by saxophonist Maria Elena Rios.

You might also know Maria from the stories a year or two ago about an ex-boyfriend of hers ordering an acid attack on her.

Edited by Casey
  • Sad 3

Spider-Man solo films I've seen at the cinema:

Spider-Man (2002).

Spider-Man 2 (2004).

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012).

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018).

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021).

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023).

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Spider-Man solo films I've seen at the cinema:

Spider-Man (2002).

Spider-Man 2 (2004).

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012).

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018).

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021).

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023).

i think i only watched the first 2 Tobey Spidey flicks on the theater. don't remember for sure about the third. but i didn't think it looked very good, so there's a good chance i would have skipped it. 

will watch "Across the Spider-Verse" shortly before part 2 comes out. i hate when they split a movie in half, because i don't remember many of the details heading in to the sequel. Same reason i haven't watched the Dune movie yet. Waiting for part 2.

• Like 1

Release date changes

• Captain America: Brave New World - August 26, 2024 (From May 2024)
  • Deadpool 3 - May 3, 2024 (the spot Brave New World was in)
  • Thunderbolts - December 20, 2024
  • Blade - February 14, 2025
  • Fantastic Four - May 2, 2025
  • Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - May 1, 2026 (from May 2, 2025)
  • Avengers: Secret Wars - May 7, 2027 (was May 1, 2026)

Pretty much all because the writer's strike

54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Delays are directly attributed to the writer's strike, but the extra time to mull over Majors's fate is a windfall.

It will be interesting to see which shoe drops first, Majors or Huerta. At first I figured MCU would be quick to recast Kang, but it's been so long that I'm starting to wonder if Feige is hoping it blows over or it stays quiet enough given the writers and pending actors strike. 

But yeah, everything getting pushed back has to do with the strike and the deciding the fate of some of these dudes is a benefit to them.

And I still think Blade never happens or if and when it does, it's not going to be Mahershala Ali in the role. The craziest part about Blade to me is I just went back and watched Blade 1 and 2 recently and despite the shitty effects in Blade 1 (at the end of the movie), those movies hold up so well. Snipes as Blade has so much fucking charisma and swagger that I don't know how you replicate that with someone else in the role. It's like he channeled the best parts of Simon Phoenix at times. My worry is that whatever Blade ends up being if it does wind up being something is that it won't be nearly as fun or cool as the first two movies mainly because they'll take a different approach to how Snipes played Blade and that's not going to be as cool.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It will be interesting to see which shoe drops first, Majors or Huerta.

Huerta does not have the problem of Chukwudi Iwuji being right there as a viable alternative, provided that Iwuji does not follow Gunn to the DCEU and never returns.

• Like 1

Due to the leak they just went ahead and released the trailer

It is very red band and there are a lot of dudes getting shot in the head and people getting sharp things in their throats

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like 2004 Catwoman. He literally gets his powers from being mauled by a f'n tiger and he gets tiger's blood in him. 

Why can't they just make Kraven the next Spider-Man villain? Why are they doing this nonsense? It's stupid.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Looks like 2004 Catwoman. He literally gets his powers from being mauled by a f'n tiger and he gets tiger's blood in him. 

Why can't they just make Kraven the next Spider-Man villain? Why are they doing this nonsense? It's stupid.

Sony gonna Sony. You either get good Sony Spider-Man in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse or bad Sony Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Morbius. Morbius was truly terrible with the exception of Matt Smith.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1