DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2023

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

This.  The whole time I was watching 65, I was expecting his character to kill his own daughter in order to better his chances of survival against the dinosaurs.

How was 65?

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

It was not entirely horrible, but I have notoriously low standards.

As do I. I still argue with my friends that Snakes On A Plane is one of the finest cinematic achievements in history.

• Like 1

Lotta leakers are coming out and saying Adam Driver is Reed Richards, and Margot Robbie is Sue Storm.

Also someone else said that Saul Williams (!!!!) has been cast in Blade as Jamal Afari.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Lotta leakers are coming out and saying Adam Driver is Reed Richards, and Margot Robbie is Sue Storm.

That sounds more like fan casting than a real leak to me, but what do I know.

Maybe, but some of these leakers have really good track records.

on that note - Blade rumors: Delroy Lindo is Deacon Frost and Mia Goth is Lilith (no word on if it’s Dracula’s daughter, or the Mother of All Demons). Mia has signed a multi-year contract too, according to these rumors.

• Like 1

Apparently there's a fan idea floating around for Marvel to cast Chukwudi Iwuji as Kang to replace Jonathan Majors with the idea that the High Evolutionary in GOTG 3 was a Kang variant (since the Loki show and Spiderman: No Way Home have both already shown variants of the same person don't necessarily look the same). I like this idea a lot.

Speaking of variants, I want Marvel to use the multi-verse as an excuse to make a movie where the Hemsworth brothers fight the Skarsgard brothers

Edited by BrianS81177

On 5/8/2023 at 2:16 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Apparently there's a fan idea floating around for Marvel to cast Chukwudi Iwuji as Kang to replace Jonathan Majors with the idea that the High Evolutionary in GOTG 3 was a Kang variant (since the Loki show and Spiderman: No Way Home have both already shown variants of the same person don't necessarily look the same). I like this idea a lot.

Speaking of variants, I want Marvel to use the multi-verse as an excuse to make a movie where the Hemsworth brothers fight the Skarsgard brothers

I'm down for that idea, but I have a feeling that he's going to follow James Gunn back to the DCU even though he's already played a character there in Peacemaker. 

It doesn’t ultimately matter because you’re supposed to turn your brain off for these movies, but it’d be weird to recast Kang while you’ve got that Ant-Man post credit scene with thousands of variants that all look like Majors. And then a show coming out this year that has Majors as Victor Timely.

Not saying they shouldn’t recast or anything, but it’s just be weird for one variant out of the thousands we’ve seen to look different.

I mean, if Blade isn’t going to happen, then….

Doesn't seem like they know what to do with Blade in a post-MCU post-Avengers world, and especially under Disney and Marvel Studios where they aren't in the business of making R-rated or TV-MA rated products. And they seem slow to change on that front.

Sort of like Disney wanting to make The Alamo because after Saving Private Ryan every studio wanted to get on the historical war movie train, but they refused to make a gritty, graphic R-rated war movie. 

Blade doesn't seem to be in the same boat as Deadpool. And just keep in mind, Deadpool was stuck in developmental hell for years, and they needed Tom Rothman out of Fox and the test footage leaked before they could get it made. Rothman refused to give Deadpool the green light. 

answering this question here (originally posted in the GotG3 spoilers thread) so it doesn't get lost.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

How would you rank the MCU trilogies now Guardians of the Galaxy can be added to the list? I'm only doing the ones I've seen all three of:

4. Thor (2011). Thor: The Dark World (2013). Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

3. Iron Man (2008). Iron Man 2 (2010). Iron Man 3 (2013).

2. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017). Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019). Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021).

1. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014). Captain America: Civil War (2016).

Captain America is by far the best for me, think it's second only to The Dark Knight Trilogy. Spider-Man like Cap's has no weak entry. Hardest choice was between Iron Man and Thor. Iron Man has the best film while the sequels are two of the worst MCU movies, ditto for Thor: The Dark World. Thor is very underrated.

from worst to best:

Iron Man  [first one is awesome but the scale slides with each successive film]

Ant-Man (and the Wasp)  [first is again the best, but i appreciated the changing narrative each time vs. a similar story being told]

Thor  [1 is solid-good, 2 wasn't bad but also not great, 3 is amazing. i'm discounting 4 from this (1-3 > 2-4), but i enjoyed it as well.]

Spider-Man  [solidly good adventures all around. Plus "my" Spidey, Tobey Maguire coming back, seals the deal]

GotG  [1 took a franchise i had zero familiarity with and made me love all of the characters. 2 expanded that in a natural and meaningful way. 3 made me realize how deep my love for these characters went. it is hard to not put this at #1 best, but i feel like the movie is still too fresh in my mind to properly say that.]

Captain America  [feel like Civil War is the least of the three, but even that is good. 1 and Winter Soldier are excellent]

just for fun, here's how i have the two-appearancers (again, worst to best):

Hulk  [do i even need to expand on this?]

Dr. Strange  [both very good but in vastly different ways. maybe just a little too disjointed from each other for me to rate higher]

Black Panther  [1 is a tremendously great film. i had plenty of issues with the second, but overall it made me VERY interested in Namor moving forward]

and the one-shots:

Eternals  [zzzz.....]

Captain Marvel  [just didn't catch me the way i expected. loved the 90s setting, but Carol's later use as 'deus ex machina' really soured me further. more interested in "the Marvels" for Kamala than Carol.]

Black Widow  [loved the movie, but a few years too late and felt unimportant since the main MCU story had moved past this one]

Shang-Chi  [the one that makes me most interested in what comes next]

• Like 1

I feel like Mahershala Ali is going to be in his 60s by the time Blade comes out IF it does come out.

Also, for whatever reason, I watched Blade 1 and 2 over the weekend because I'm sick as shit and just need to watch whatever. Those movies kick so much ass. I just don't see the need to reboot blade and like Jeffrey said, I don't see how Blade fits in this MCU unless it's as part of like a Midnight Suns one shot movie and just be done and over with Blade and Black Knight's involvement in the MCU. 

It really feels like a continuation of the problem the D+ series introduced where so many characters were getting tv shows and stuff and for the most part, less is more. Blade is fucking cool, but would Blade still be cool now if he's not played by a less crazy Wesley Snipes that had a lot of swagger? Ali has a lot of swagger too, but I think it's different than what Wesley Snipes brought to the screen.

• Like 3

In news I didn’t expect to ever type in a Marvel thread - Seth Rollins was spotted on the set of the new Captain America movie. Rumor is he’s playing a member of the Serpent Society.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

In news I didn’t expect to ever type in a Marvel thread - Seth Rollins was spotted on the set of the new Captain America movie. Rumor is he’s playing a member of the Serpent Society.

Here he is. 

On 5/15/2023 at 3:11 AM, TheVileOne said:

Doesn't seem like they know what to do with Blade in a post-MCU post-Avengers world, and especially under Disney and Marvel Studios where they aren't in the business of making R-rated or TV-MA rated products. And they seem slow to change on that front. 

Disney greenlit the F-Bomb dropped in GotG3 and the last Dr. Strange movie was as dark as it gets in Marvel.  I don't think Blade has to be R-rated to be good, but hopefully it will be made before Ali is 90 years old.

And like Craig said, a Midnight Son's arc is the easy answer and if they are that concerned about box office, then don't make a movie. 

Create a Blade mini-series, put it on D+ where it can be as dark as you want it to be, throw in parental controls if you are paranoid, and then mix-in the characters from Werewolf by Night along with third eye Dr. Strange, Black Knight, and maybe even Ghost Rider until it turns into a Midnight Sons on Disney+..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Disney greenlit the F-Bomb dropped in GotG3 and the last Dr. Strange movie was as dark as it gets in Marvel.  I don't think Blade has to be R-rated to be good, but hopefully it will be made before Ali is 90 years old.

And like Craig said, a Midnight Son's arc is the easy answer and if they are that concerned about box office, then don't make a movie. 

Create a Blade mini-series, put it on D+ where it can be as dark as you want it to be, throw in parental controls if you are paranoid, and then mix-in the characters from Werewolf by Night along with third eye Dr. Strange, Black Knight, and maybe even Ghost Rider until it turns into a Midnight Sons on Disney+..

PG-13 movies all get one f bomb. Blade movies need multiple f bombs and curse words, lots of blood and gore. 

not sure if Blade gets cancelled or not but they are the ones who pushed this as a movie not a series.

39 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Blade movies need multiple f bombs and curse words, lots of blood and gore.

Why?  Because they used to have them?  I agree that's what I'd like to see, but is gore really a requirement for it to be acceptable?

Blood and oodles of violence, yes, but gore?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  If Blade was as dark in tone as Dr. Strange:  Multiverse of Madness, it would be totally fine at a PG-13 rating.  The challenge is getting Ali to continue to look badass as this saga drags on. 

Wesley was in his mid 30's when the first Blade movie hit.  Aii will be pushing into his 50's.

I think that anyone who thinks a PG-13 rating will be too soft for a Blade movie needs to watch the scene in GotG2 again where Yondu casually murders everyone on the Ravager ship with his Yaka arrow.  I think PG-13 Disney / Marvel Blade could still have an acceptable level of bloody mayhem.  Will they commit to it?  I suppose we will / won't find out.

39 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

PG-13 movies all get one f bomb.

How many F-Bombs have been dropped in Disney / Marvel movies before this one, man?  Zero, I think.

I don't think that even Sam Jackson got one in any Marvel production he's been in.  His F-Bomb in Iron Man was left on the cutting room floor.

I think that the Disney old guard died a little in side when the America's Ass gag made it to Avengers:  Endgame..

The F-Bomb dropped in GotG3 is groundbreaking.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Why?  Because they used to have them?  I agree that's what I'd like to see, but is gore really a requirement for it to be acceptable?

Blood and oodles of violence, yes, but gore?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  If Blade was as dark in tone as Dr. Strange:  Multiverse of Madness, it would be totally fine at a PG-13 rating.  The challenge is getting Ali to continue to look badass as this saga drags on. 

Wesley was in his mid 30's when the first Blade movie hit.  Aii will be pushing into his 50's.

I think that anyone who thinks a PG-13 rating will be too soft for a Blade movie needs to watch the scene in GotG2 again where Yondu casually murders everyone on the Ravager ship with his Yaka arrow.  I think PG-13 Disney / Marvel Blade could still have an acceptable level of bloody mayhem.  Will they commit to it?  I suppose we will / won't find out.

How many F-Bombs have been dropped in Disney / Marvel movies before this one, man?  Zero, I think.

I don't think that even Sam Jackson got one in any Marvel production he's been in.  His F-Bomb in Iron Man was left on the cutting room floor.

I think that the Disney old guard died a little in side when the America's Ass gag made it to Avengers:  Endgame..

The F-Bomb dropped in GotG3 is groundbreaking.

Yes. Blade needs to be darker in tone than Multiverse of Madness. What's wrong with Ali's age? Was everyone complaining that Downey was nearing 60 by the time Infinity War and Endgame came around? 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is not the same. Those deaths are bloodless and largely played up for laughs. It's not just the kills, it's the overall tone and setting. The simple solution here is branding some darker R-rated films as a Marvel Knights imprint. You can still have characters show up and play in larger films, but if Marvel is serious about rebooting Blade they have to do more than just one groundbreaking F-bomb. They have to show they are serious and mean business and they aren't going to rest on their laurels for the MCU. Now is the time for the MCU to experiment and take risks. Otherwise, there is literally no point in reviving Blade for the MCU. 

Otherwise, they are no better than fuckwad Tom Rothman who refused to even allow Ryan Reynolds to make Deadpool in the first place. He had to get removed from Fox for it to happen.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Yes. Blade needs to be darker in tone than Multiverse of Madness.

Why?  Because vampires?  The New Line joints were in a self contained world while MCU Blade will be part of a greater whole.  I think we all need to adjust our expectations of how this will play out on screen with Disney calling the shots.  It might work.  It might suck.  it might not even get made at this rate.

What's wrong with Ali's age? Was everyone complaining that Downey was nearing 60 by the time Infinity War and Endgame came around?

Uh, Downey was in a CGI suit of armor.  You require blood and gore for you to accept it and I will require a vampire slayer in his physical and martial arts prime in order to accept it.  Ali has been in dozens of movies and television shows that I love, but he has been an action lead that has done his own fighting and stunts in none of them.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is not the same. Those deaths are bloodless and largely played up for laughs. It's not just the kills, it's the overall tone and setting. The simple solution here is branding some darker R-rated films as a Marvel Knights imprint

The fact remains that Disney / Marvel is perfectly fine with putting out a movie in studios that is chock full of violence.  And not just violence of the cartoon variety.  It's the variety where dudes get gigantic holes put through them or worse. 

In the corridor fight in GotG3, Drax nails a man to the ceiling with his throwing knives and Gamora cuts one of the HE's cyborgs in half and guts go everywhere, for fucks sake.

They have the will to make a movie where horrible death is there at a premium.  As you say, all they need to do is adjust the tone, throw in some vampires, and you have MCU Blade. 

You can still have characters show up and play in larger films, but if Marvel is serious about rebooting Blade they have to do more than just one groundbreaking F-bomb. They have to show they are serious and mean business and they aren't going to rest on their laurels for the MCU. Now is the time for the MCU to experiment and take risks. Otherwise, there is literally no point in reviving Blade for the MCU. 

Okay so not only do you need violence, you also need Blade to say the word "Fuck" in every sentence.   This is going to be a Disney joint, not a New Line Cinema joint, so I think we'll just have to go in with low expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised.  

Otherwise we're just setting ourselves up for disappointment if we don't come to terms with the fact that this incarnation will most likely be very different from the old New Lines franchise.

It might turn out to be a refreshing change if we got a Blade the Vampire Slayer joint where he did not say the word "fuck" in every other sentence.

Now is the time for the MCU to experiment and take risks. Otherwise, there is literally no point in reviving Blade for the MCU.

I don't disagree.  All of the Dracula related IP probably should have never been incorporated into the greater Marvel content, but it was as well as the Fu Manchu stuff right before Marvel lost the rights which caused the Marvel licensed character, Shang-Chi, to be orphaned and reintegrated.

By nature, Blade is a niche character.  How he will fare in an atmosphere outside of something that incorporates more of Marvel's "horror" superheros like Man-Thing or Ghost Rider escapes me.  Something related to Midnight Sons is the only real landing place for Blade, IMO

But here we are with Marvel trying to make the most out of all of their licenses.  Some of it will be good and some of it will be garbage.

Otherwise, they are no better than fuckwad Tom Rothman who refused to even allow Ryan Reynolds to make Deadpool in the first place. He had to get removed from Fox for it to happen

It's funny.  The Deadpool of the comics was violent to be sure, but it wasn't all that inherently vulgar originally.   We now expect Deadpool stuff to be vulgar because of what Ryan Reynolds has done with Deadpool, just like how you expect MCU Blade to be gory and full of F-Bombs because that's how New Line portrayed everything. 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1