DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Would they do a match of that magnitude on a NJPW Strong show?  I guess they would considering she's their biggest U.S. based star but I don't know A) how much they want to push the women's division in NJPW and B) what their objectives are for it. 

Maybe they won’t, but there’s a ton of tickets left to sell and they’ve already announced Ospreay vs Tanahashi and that might not even happen. And I felt Mercedes vs kairi was a giant match and that was in a venue half the size, as you know. I already bought a ticket, 3rd row lower level at half court. 

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Observer is saying she signed an extension and next match is likely in the US, which is Long Beach. If it’s Mercedes vs giulia I will be seriously considering going. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Would they do a match of that magnitude on a NJPW Strong show?  I guess they would considering she's their biggest U.S. based star but I don't know A) how much they want to push the women's division in NJPW and B) what their objectives are for it. 

There is basically zero chance of that match happening on US soil. The tease both have been making is a double titles match. If it happens it would likely be at a second Historic X-over show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Looks like the arena is packed.  Unfortunately, Stardom needs to do a better job of PPV access for foreigners.  There's no reason why this shouldn't be streamed live on Stardom World and Fite. 

Their focus is on domestic fans right now. Stardom World also probably just isn't equipped to handle live shows, and no one really knows how long whatever deal they have with said streaming company who set them up lasts. 

I saw people mentioning a week or two ago that most of the seats they set up had sold out in every opened section. This might end up the largest crowd they have gotten at a pure Stardom show. 

Lot of changes tonight.

Stardom World predated the deal with Bushi Road, right? Either way, Stardom and NJPW are beholden to other masters than Bushi Road sometimes. Sakura Genesis didn't stream live in Japan on NJPW World because TV Asahi aired it on their cable station to celebrate 50 years of NJPW on Asahi.

I only watched the top matches, there's just no way I can commit the 5+ hours.  I'm no Stardom expert, I do realize Tam Nakano and Giulia have a blood feud and Tam's been on the chase but I was surprised they did the change here.  First of all, it was an excellent hard hitting match as expected. Tam and Giulia both looked awesome,  their star power is off the charts.  It was a shortish run for Giulia though who I view as their current biggest star so I'm wondering where she goes from here.  

Mercedes vs. Mayu was good but at 13 minutes,  a little on the brief side.  I think they have a classic in them but they weren't given the chance here.  Mercedes took some BRUTAL strikes and suplexes.  Her own suplexes to Mayu have never looked better, she's doing the Bret Hart style launch yourself backwards on the follow through and the ring was CRACKING. Finish was nasty but again it felt abrupt. 

What can I say about Mercedes entrance attire.  Black Tiger tribute was fucking incredible.  It's amazing how over she was already after only a couple appearances. The crowd is chanting "C-E-O!!!".  They shared an awesome moment after the match as well.  Was Mayu winning here the right decision?  Yeah, probably. Mercedes has reportedly signed an extension but Mayu is their Tanahashi and the longterm IWGP champion should probably be someone who is never leaving. 

So Tam winning aurprised me, I just figured Tam would win the 5 Star this year. But the red belt changed hands on the year end the last 2 years so mixing it up is good.

I really didn't care for Mina going over Saya. I just think retaining and then losing to MIRAI was the better route (unless Mina is getting a short reign).

James

Edited by J.H.

So how was the overall Queendom show? The results were mostly what I was expecting sans the last two matches. Really expected the Giulia revenge tour to continue. I think its the first time every title switched. 

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

I really didn't care for Mina going over Saya. I just think retaining and then losing to MIRAI was the better route (unless Mina is getting a short reign).

It was rather obvious Mina was winning with the establishment of her own faction and officially leaving Cosmic Angels. Do you just dislike her? Mirai is solid, but she is not ready for a white belt run. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

If this was a show in the states and Mina didn't win the title, the fans would have taken over the entire show and shit on everything afterwards.

That was the one no brainer going in.

On 3/19/2023 at 1:11 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

This isn't a 'spoiler free' thread, we can discuss wrestling results. Plus I believe it streamed live anyway for those that wanted to watch it unspoiled.

Ice Ribbon results, via Puro Love:

Ice Ribbon "ICE RIBBON MARCH 2023", 19.03.2023
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
409 Fans

1. Hikari Shimizu and Kaho Matsushita defeat Nao Ishikawa and Rina Amikura 
2. Amu Yumesaki Debut Match: Tsukina Umino defeats Amu Yumesaki 
3. 8 Woman Battle Royal: Eiger wins
4. Sumikaba Yanagawa and Misa Kagura defeat Asahi and Chie Ozora 
5. International Ribbon Tag Team Title: Makoto and Hamuko Hoshi defeat Hikaru Shida and Ibuki Hoshi (c)
6. ICEx∞ Title: Satsuki Totoro defeats Saori Anou (c)

Feels like another reset, at least a soft one. Got the belts off the outsiders (Anou and Shida) and tighten up their spending. I'm not a big fan of Satsuki but she's a vet at this point and is probably loyal, so she's a safe bet to put the title on. I don't know if anyone that still posts here is a regular Ice Ribbon viewer but I'd be curious how their fans feel about the changes, or if it just felt inevitable. 

Please pardon jumping back a month but you were curious and I'm here again so... what the hey, hey?

It's hard to sum up an entire fanbase with just one weirdo's thoughts so I'll give you my own as well as a summary of what I've seen by looking around.

Short version: I'm okay with it.

Long version: Hoo boy.

So some people aren't taking it well. Mostly the creepy Western uncles who are currently throwing hissyfits about Asahi not being given the world, or one Japanese guy who obsessively harassed Ibuki Hoshi into locking her Twitter. But those are people that aren't really worth paying attention to, tbh.

Re: putting the belt on Totoro, I think it was kind of a necessity. With Yuna Manase out for pretty much the rest of the year, there's no BIG DEKAI, which means you either have to find another person to team with Totoro or push her as a single. Also, with what we now know about what Saori's plans were (namely getting a gig with some Stardom bookings, it makes sense to transition the belt from Saori to Totoro). Obvious statement is obvious!

I also don't think we've seen the last of Shida but having a belt on her didn't make a lot of sense. She's not available with the regularity you want in a tag champ, and without running Korakuen or a larger arena that frequently, having the tag belts on Shida just hamstrung her and Ibuki.

There are fans (mostly Western ones) who seem to think that if Ice Ribbon isn't trying to compete with Stardom/Tokyo Joshi Pro, they're failing, but realistically, they're a promotion made up of wrestlers who either have part time jobs or are students. I think it's unrealistic to ask folks to drop out of high school or college so you can try and chase the top two organizations in joshi down a financial rabbit hole. If Ice Ribbon's focusing on their dojo shows and the occasional road show like 176BOX or SKIP City or the occasional trip to Shin-Kiba, with a quarterly Korakuen... then great! I'm fine with that. I'm getting good enough value for money with my YouTube subscription and the promotion will likely still be alive, because I've seen way too many promotions try to run larger buildings without the ability to draw in them and crush their finances and end up folding. At least with the dojo shows, they own their own building so they're not exactly putting rent in someone else's pocket.

I guess it all depends on what someone wants out of the promotion and their expectations. I know full well I'm watching a group consisting of part-timers and I'm fine with that because I enjoy it. I also think anyone expecting anything other than that might want to lower their expectations a little. When most promotions are having trouble drawing 1,000 to Korakuen, it's a little bit of financial suicide to expect a group consisting of part-timers to run it monthly.

Anyway, this has been your visit to last month. Back to your Stardom chatter from the show today! I hope y'all enjoyed it. 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

So how was the overall Queendom show?

It was great, except for Momo Kohgo getting injured by Mai Sakurai in the Rambo. She was taken to the hospital afterwards and Mariah May with almost no notice took over on commentary and did an excellent job. She and Charlton were great together. Sonny was useless.  Best match was Mina vs Tall Saya. Worst match was New Eras vs 7Upp with the weak count-out finish.

New look for Hanan:

羽南/HANAN on Twitter: "New羽南どうでしたか〜!? ギャル化?グレた?などなど皆さんの反応が楽しいです笑  これからの羽南お楽しみに! 麻優さんがチャンピオンになりました🎉 STARSにベルトが来ました✨ #スターダム #STARDOM #羽南  https://t.co/q0H0Vs1TEW" / Twitter

New look for Ami Sourei

P*eps #MaikaStyle🍧 on Twitter: "THEY LOOK FANTASTIC OMG #Stardom  https://t.co/c2f4rVpCH6" / Twitter

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ace said:

It was great, except for Momo Kohgo getting injured by Mai Sakurai in the Rambo. She was taken to the hospital afterwards and Mariah May with almost no notice took over on commentary and did an excellent job. She and Charlton were great together. Sonny was useless.  Best match was Mina vs Tall Saya. Worst match was New Eras vs 7Upp with the weak count-out finish.

New look for Hanan:

New look for Ami Sourei

Someone on Twitter last night dubbed Nanae as "Nanae Hogan" last night and that got all over me. Well, at least she jobbed to Waka.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Spoiler

New look for Hanan:

羽南/HANAN on Twitter: "New羽南どうでしたか〜!? ギャル化?グレた?などなど皆さんの反応が楽しいです笑  これからの羽南お楽しみに! 麻優さんがチャンピオンになりました🎉 STARSにベルトが来ました✨ #スターダム #STARDOM #羽南  https://t.co/q0H0Vs1TEW" / Twitter

New look for Ami Sourei

P*eps #MaikaStyle🍧 on Twitter: "THEY LOOK FANTASTIC OMG #Stardom  https://t.co/c2f4rVpCH6" / Twitter

Didn't know Hanan got a new look. Its so much better than what she had before. I caught glimpses of Ami. It just leaves me confused as it looks like she stole Hanan's old gear, raided Kamitani's gear, and then mixed them together in the wash. 

Not surprised Sonny wasn't so great on commentary. Its clearly not something he is suited at. He should just be feeding people info via headset while they do the actual commentary. 

Was 7upp/New Eras bad or just a disappointing finish? I have to ask since I actually dug 7Upp's previous two defenses. The MaiHime match didn't get much love, but was so much better than people let on. 

56 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Someone on Twitter last night dubbed Nanae as "Nanae Hogan" last night and that got all over me. Well, at least she jobbed to Waka.

She did take losses to Syuri and Maika as well. 

Thought the show was really good.  Other than the tag title match, all the matches were really great.  Maybe no MOTYC among them, but all consistently great never the less.  Booking wise, this seems like a huge reset with all the titles changing hands.  With Giulia losing so soon into her reign, I think Stardom might be done with the long title reigns for the time being.

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

She did take losses to Syuri and Maika as well. 

All jobs aren't created equal. 

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Thought the show was really good.  Other than the tag title match, all the matches were really great.  Maybe no MOTYC among them, but all consistently great never the less.  Booking wise, this seems like a huge reset with all the titles changing hands.  With Giulia losing so soon into her reign, I think Stardom might be done with the long title reigns for the time being.

I am guessing Tam winning is a nothing but a transitional reign and a thank you for basically being a linchpin. I do expect them to continue to do long title reigns though.

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Is Mercedes vs. Mayu II confirmed now for the Long Beach show or are these tweets going around just speculation?  Maybe they went 13 minutes because they knew they were saving stuff for a 25-minute showdown in Cali. 

Safely assuming speculation. The only official match is Tanahashi vs. Ospreay.