DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Was 7upp/New Eras bad or just a disappointing finish?

Both? It wasn't as good as the previous 7Upp matches. Yuu was not featured anywhere as much as she should be. And no landslide!

5 hours ago, nofuture said:

After her match at today's Prominence Anniversary show, Suzu Suzuki announced that she is leaving Prominence.  Wonder if this means she's headed to Stardom full time now.

Man, this breaking up my favorite big/little sister or mother/adopted daughter duo in pro wrestling makes me very sad. I will miss all their little adventures, which included but wasn't limited to:

1. A rib on their Youtube channel curator/producer by having Risa Sera wait in his closet when he got home, and Risa delivering the most legit serial killer stare when he opens the closet door. I just found out not too long ago she was a trained voice actress before pro wrestling, but are we sure she didn't go to Juilliard? That stare was very convincing.

2. An authenticity check on Risa Sera's new action figure, which included Suzu checking to see if the figure had undergarments on. I believe. Hopefully, that was happening. By the way, all this happened with Risa wearing her deathmatch wrestling gear on (same as the action figure).

3. Not one but TWO different visits to a karate dojo in which Suzu Suzuki appears to be too tiny to do karate. However, this doesn't stop her from trying a series of back kick attempts that all result in hilarious fails. Turns out, somehow, Risa is worse than her. I dunno how that's possible, but she was.

4. The most recent video of Suzu Suzuki going to the market, finding some crocodile meat, and then cooking said crocodile meat just so she can convince Risa to eat it.

7 hours ago, nofuture said:

After her match at today's Prominence Anniversary show, Suzu Suzuki announced that she is leaving Prominence.  Wonder if this means she's headed to Stardom full time now.

She says she still wants to do deathmatches, so that would be an interesting/unique concession for Stardom to give if that's the case. The deathmatch well is starting to run a little dry for Suzu in terms of fresh matchups unless she goes to America (possible!), or goes against Rina Yamashita again at some point.

24 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

She says she still wants to do deathmatches, so that would be an interesting/unique concession for Stardom to give if that's the case. The deathmatch well is starting to run a little dry for Suzu in terms of fresh matchups unless she goes to America (possible!), or goes against Rina Yamashita again at some point.

I don't see death matches in Stardom unless it's the wacky, cartoonish American hardcore matches they have done recently. There would be no need for her (Suzu Suzuki) to leave Prominence. Plus, with Prominence dropping the Artist of Stardom championship, it seems like Stardom made their choice, decided to take the budding star of the group, and that was the last appearance of the group in Stardom. 

If Suzu does go to Stardom full time, it's absurdly ironic that they showed up in Stardom around this time last year under the guise they broke off from Ice Ribbon and were seeking some type of retribution on the person who was to be Ice Ribbon's future star (Giulia) who left the promotion under the cover of darkness for Stardom....only for Suzu Suzuki to do the same to their group/promotion (under more formal circumstances but still).

In the words of the great scholar Gino Marella, "A pat on the back is only a few inches from a kick in the butt."

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If Suzu does go to Stardom full time, it's absurdly ironic that they showed up in Stardom around this time last year under the guise they broke off from Ice Ribbon and were seeking some type of retribution on the person who was to be Ice Ribbon's future star (Giulia) who left the promotion under the cover of darkness for Stardom....only for Suzu Suzuki to do the same to their group/promotion (under more formal circumstances but still).

This isn't quite accurate. Suzu wanted to beat Giulia's ass for leaving Ice Ribbon without warning. They were friends so she felt Giulia abandoned her, and Suzu wanted to return the hurt she felt. Prominence came along more to support Suzu than anything against Giulia per say. Technically Suzu and Giulia reconciled with their GP match. Prominence has mostly stuck around up till now just to showcase themselves. 

18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't see death matches in Stardom unless it's the wacky, cartoonish American hardcore matches they have done recently. There would be no need for her (Suzu Suzuki) to leave Prominence. Plus, with Prominence dropping the Artist of Stardom championship, it seems like Stardom made their choice, decided to take the budding star of the group, and that was the last appearance of the group in Stardom. 

In the words of the great scholar Gino Marella, "A pat on the back is only a few inches from a kick in the butt."

Agreed, I can only recall Stardom having one match falling under the lines of "deathmatch", when they did the exploding bat deathmatch in 2018. It's definitely not their style. I'm thinking more along the lines of if they make the concession, it's more like "okay Suzu, you can go work FREEDOMS once every three months to scratch your itch" since Stardom has been slowly letting others branch out more (see Saya Iida randomly popping up in Diana last week).

Not sure what direction Suzu goes, to be honest. It's clear Stardom sees something in her, but if deathmatches are something she absolutely wants to do, then who knows what she'll end up doing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

This isn't quite accurate. Suzu wanted to beat Giulia's ass for leaving Ice Ribbon without warning. They were friends so she felt Giulia abandoned her, and Suzu wanted to return the hurt she felt. Prominence came along more to support Suzu than anything against Giulia per say. Technically Suzu and Giulia reconciled with their GP match. Prominence has mostly stuck around up till now just to showcase themselves. 

So it's quite accurate. How is that different than what I said? I know the backstory.

11 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Agreed, I can only recall Stardom having one match falling under the lines of "deathmatch", when they did the exploding bat deathmatch in 2018. It's definitely not their style. I'm thinking more along the lines of if they make the concession, it's more like "okay Suzu, you can go work FREEDOMS once every three months to scratch your itch" since Stardom has been slowly letting others branch out more (see Saya Iida randomly popping up in Diana last week).

Not sure what direction Suzu goes, to be honest. It's clear Stardom sees something in her, but if deathmatches are something she absolutely wants to do, then who knows what she'll end up doing.

I think the issue though is if they don't want Suzu to be beat all the hell before she turns 25, then she cannot be traveling down that road at all. She's already put her body through a lot and she doesn't turn 21 until September.

I thought Risa still has some good years left in her, but it's almost like they (Stardom) were cool with Risa having this death match vanity project as long as they could take a look at the youngster. The youngster met or far exceeded their expectations. Moreover, the whole I'm going be the face of women's wrestling thing they built up while Suzu was in Stardom....maybe Prominence should have saw that coming. 

You're not going to be the face of women's wrestling on a makeshift mat in a studio or a 1/4 full Korakuen Hall. 

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

So it's quite accurate. How is that different than what I said? I know the backstory.

From what I remember from Ice Ribbon fans back then Giulia wasn't set to be the next big star for one. Suzu's anger wasn't about the promotion but Gilia leaving her so it was something more personal than what you describe. Suzu is also seemingly being more open about her departure. 

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

From what I remember from Ice Ribbon fans back then Giulia wasn't set to be the next big star for one. 

She was just gonna be just another person like she was in Stardom. Right. 

If Giulia didn't leave and like a quarter of their roster later on, would Ice Ribbon be in disarray?

Suzu's anger wasn't about the promotion but Gilia leaving her so it was something more personal than what you describe. 

Two things can be true. I understand how personal it was. You don't have to explain a backstory I already know.

Suzu is also seemingly being more open about her departure. 

...which I stated. That's still a massive goddamn blow to Prominence, which was a vanity project for Risa. An entertaining one, but a vanity project nonetheless. That is unless they can find another Suzu Suzuki.

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm hearing the Stardom show did monster business in terms of live gate and also PPVs.  

It should have cause I don't remember this level of interest for a Japanese wrestling event that wasn't a Wrestle Kingdom card. Maybe a Dominion card with Okada vs. Omega, but nothing like this. 

Hopefully, it's a rising tide lifts all boats type scenario cause the pandemic put a bunch of promotions in a bind.

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the issue though is if they don't want Suzu to be beat all the hell before she turns 25, then she cannot be traveling down that road at all. She's already put her body through a lot and she doesn't turn 21 until September.

I thought Risa still has some good years left in her, but it's almost like they (Stardom) were cool with Risa having this death match vanity project as long as they could take a look at the youngster. The youngster met or far exceeded their expectations. Moreover, the whole I'm going be the face of women's wrestling thing they built up while Suzu was in Stardom....maybe Prominence should have saw that coming. 

You're not going to be the face of women's wrestling on a makeshift mat in a studio or a 1/4 full Korakuen Hall. 

Agreed. This was actually one of my concerns about Suzu being so deathmatch focused when she left Ice Ribbon, because she has a good amount of potential that could have been flushed by chasing this deathmatch passion. If Stardom has enough incentive to convince her to stop, then good on them.

39 minutes ago, Eivion said:

From what I remember from Ice Ribbon fans back then Giulia wasn't set to be the next big star for one. Suzu's anger wasn't about the promotion but Gilia leaving her so it was something more personal than what you describe. Suzu is also seemingly being more open about her departure. 

This is why I mentioned not liking painting fanbases with broad brushes, because now Ice Ribbon's out here catching strays!

Not sure why anyone would have said that about Ice Ribbon's plans for Giulia unless it was sour grapes about the way she left. She got an Infinity title shot just under 18 months into her career and she was the International Ribbon champ with Tequila Saya a couple of months after that match with Maya Yukihi, and Ice Ribbon doesn't really put belts on people that soon into their career unless they see something in them. Either way, that's relatively moot compared to current day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Make of this what you will, but Giulia tweeted a globe emoji not too long ago. It makes me wonder between losing the red belt and going back to two years ago when dumbass Jushin Liger all but tried to talent poach Giulia for WWE in a New Japan interview if she wants to explore her options. She's gonna be a huge star no matter where she goes and even if there is a language barrier to navigate.

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Make of this what you will, but Giulia tweeted a globe emoji not too long ago. It makes me wonder between losing the red belt and going back to two years ago when dumbass Jushin Liger all but tried to talent poach Giulia for WWE in a New Japan interview if she wants to explore her options. She's gonna be a huge star no matter where she goes and even if there is a language barrier to navigate.

Tbf he was talking more about how the experience could be helpful to both her and Stardom if she added that international start aspect to her name. It also probably helped Giulia negotiate for more money when renewing her contract.

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Tbf he was talking more about how the experience could be helpful to both her and Stardom if she added that international start aspect to her name. It also probably helped Giulia negotiate for more money when renewing her contract.

I must have been reading something with different subs cause he would not let up on it. He also kept asking about it, which is very strange considering that's when you first started seeing Stardom talent crossing over and doing more things either with New Japan talent or on NJPW platforms. You shouldn't be asking Stardom talent about leaving Stardom.

Just say you're working for WWE without saying you're working for WWE.

Having not read any of the other reactions or responses yet, I'm a little confused by the booking. I figured Mercedes would drop the title to Mayu so she could then challenge Giulia for her title...except Giulia also lost. Mercedes vs Giulia is still a gigantic match with or without a title on the line, but I guess doing something for a championship would have been better. To me anyway.

Anyway, I'm counting the days until Giulia goes to the states where she'll be a megastar...theoretically anyway. With HHH in charge she would be huge in WWE. She would be just as big in AEW to point where I would say fuck it, book her vs Hayter instantly and put the title on Giulia. 

Giulia, like Rhea, feels like a once in a generation talent to me. Each of them have an aura that I would say not even Mercedes, Charlotte, or even Becky have.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Having not read any of the other reactions or responses yet, I'm a little confused by the booking. I figured Mercedes would drop the title to Mayu so she could then challenge Giulia for her title...except Giulia also lost. Mercedes vs Giulia is still a gigantic match with or without a title on the line, but I guess doing something for a championship would have been better. To me anyway.

Anyway, I'm counting the days until Giulia goes to the states where she'll be a megastar...theoretically anyway. With HHH in charge she would be huge in WWE. She would be just as big in AEW to point where I would say fuck it, book her vs Hayter instantly and put the title on Giulia. 

Giulia, like Rhea, feels like a once in a generation talent to me. Each of them have an aura that I would say not even Mercedes, Charlotte, or even Becky have.

Hopefully, Rhea doesn't have to leave eventually cause she suffered one too many traumatic brain injuries. But yeah, I agree with that premise. Thing is though, Giulia could increase her value and sort of have a wait and see approach by going to AEW rather than a company that just got sold and hasn't undergone fully the changes that are about to come about.

There are still a ton of people that haven't seen her or her work. Why not do a introduction to the American audience by going somewhere that's in need to one or two more big time players?