DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

32 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wonder why folks for their biggest shows aren't able to stress test their website/app prior to the show. The very last thing you want to happen is a debacle with sign ups and then watching the actual show.

You can stress test your own equipment, but you can't stress test your payment processor/authenticator if it isn't your own. Especially if they're doing resource allocation in the background and going "oh, they're only getting 3,000 viewers right now? That's all they'll need support for" during your opener, not expecting 10,000 later on and everything crashes.

Not like, uh, I've seen that happen to a broadcast I've ran or anything and had to switch to a different authenticator as a result. *cough*

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

You can stress test your own equipment, but you can't stress test your payment processor/authenticator if it isn't your own. Especially if they're doing resource allocation in the background and going "oh, they're only getting 3,000 viewers right now? That's all they'll need support for" during your opener, not expecting 10,000 later on and everything crashes.

Not like, uh, I've seen that happen to a broadcast I've ran or anything and had to switch to a different authenticator as a result. *cough*

That's sort of the issue though. You're going to CONTINUE to run into that if you're using third party resources. As someone who worked for the magical Walton empire at one point, I can tell you they did stress tests a month out from Black Friday and the entire holiday season (this was when they were adding different days for sales, mind you). Even though they obviously have enough money to process their own payments, they're still using other payment processors cause they're not alienating people who either cannot pay using a debit/credit card OR just fearful someone might steal their information directly from the Walmart/Sam's Club website.

As a company trying to grow in popularity, you're going to basically make people try to pirate the show if not skip those shows entirely. Why the hell are you using a company that cannot handle that type of business? People are going to learn about cutting corners.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's sort of the issue though. You're going to CONTINUE to run into that if you're using third party resources. As some who worked for the magical Walton empire at one point, I can tell you they did stress tests a month out from Black Friday and the entire holiday season (this was when they were adding different days for sales, mind you). Even though they obviously have enough money to process their own payments, they're still using other payment processors cause they're not alienating people who either cannot pay using a debit/credit card OR just fearful someone might steal their information directly from the Walmart/Sam's Club website.

As a company trying to grow in popularity, you're going to basically make people try to pirate the show if not skip those shows entirely. Why the hell are you using a company that cannot handle that type of business? People are going to learn about cutting corners.

If I had to guess, they probably figure it's cheaper to use the third party resource than to build out/maintain their own authentication system.

Considering how many refunds they had to process, they figured wrong, but hey!

• Haha 1

Ice Ribbon's year end show, Ribbonmania, has just ended! Since you can watch the show on replay (and if you're interested, I strongly recommend, it was a great show!), I'll put the major happenings in spoilers:

Spoiler

Ibuki Hoshi retained the ICExInfinity title in an absolute war against Kaho Matsushita, with both wrestlers emptying their arsenals and kicking out of practically everything they had. If you're going to watch one match from this show, make it this one; it was better than their match from earlier this year in June that I raved about, and I can't wait for the next time they match up considering the great chemistry they have together.

Kyuuri and Mifu Ashida took the International Ribbon Tag Titles away from QUEEN VALKYRIE when Kyuuri's trickery got the better of the champions. Kyuuri taped Ancham to ringside seconds Mayuka Koike and Saran, then was able to sneakily pin YuuRI to win the belts for herself and her rookie partner. Mifu took an utter beating throughout the match and looked overjoyed to have won, becoming the first of the Challengers to win a title.

Yuuki Mashiro also appeared after the second match (where Arisa Shinose finally debuted the Shining Wizard that she was blessed with by Keiji Mutoh, using it to beat Yuuki Minami), announcing that she is ending her retirement and returning to Ice Ribbon on January 27's Korakuen show!

The rest of the matches were fair to good. Makoto vs. Hamuko Hoshi was my favorite of the undercard, and Nanae Furukawa is rapidly becoming one of my favorites.

Not sure how I missed this (I'll blame being sleepy), but the January 27 Ice Ribbon Korakuen show, in addition to 

Spoiler

Yuki Mashiro coming back

features a one day tournament, format to be announced. Rampant speculation about it being for the Triangle Ribbon title ensues. I hope it's not that because a one day tournament of triangle matches sounds like quite a chore.

On 12/30/2023 at 8:44 AM, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I'd be willing to bet that the problems were with the payment processor/authenticator crashing with people trying to access the show towards the bigger matches, since the stream problems started near the semifinal and main. That's pretty common for authentication to fail as viewership spikes towards an anticipated larger portion of their show.

It had to be that. The show was fine on the Samurai TV broadcast.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:09 PM, Kang said:

There is the fan thing going on with Hikari Noa. She met up with a female fan, and it's not looking good.  

Can you elaborate, chief?

Stardom New Year's Stars 2024/Triangle Derby/Rookie Tournament spoilers:

Spoiler

Miyu Yamasaki was taken off the show, giving Bari Bari Bombers a bye in the first round

Suzu Suzuki, Mei Seira, & Megan Bayne went to a time limit draw with Queen's Quest. Bari Bari Bombers receive a bye to the finals.
Suzu and Mei challenged AphroditE for the Goddess titles

God's Eye was forced to fight 2 matches in a row to reach the finals.

Saki Kashima may have been injured being used as a weapon by Nanae Takahashi & Yuu.

Yuzuki defeated HANAKO in the rookie finals. HANAKO showed some excellent aggression.

Bari Bari Bombers were talked into putting up the Artist belts in the finals. God's Eye defeated them to win the tournament and the titles.

Stardom 1.4 spoiler

Spoiler

Donna del Mondo has amicably disbanded. Thekla appears to be going home for a while.  At the end of the segment, Giulia did a roll call of everybody who had been a member, pausing momentarily before acknowledging Natsupoi.

• Sad 2