DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

And now off to the extended Billions universe..........with all the comebacks we've seen, I'm not convinced we've seen the last of Mike Prince. We might see him in Millions.

I did enjoy them finishing with Connerty doing the Hibachi gimmick again; nice, wholesome family ending. I'd say Chuck earned himself some dungeon time too lol.

To be fair, as much as I enjoyed Billions as a slightly guilty pleasure I am kind of happy GIamatti is free of it because he is a bit too good for it really. I look forward to seeing The Holdovers and I suspect his best work is to come, though they should also really find a way to bring back the Rhino to the MCU as well obviously.

Was wondering what they've got planned for that spot. Last Comic Standing with Byron Allen (who is 62 and looks 40, the lucky bastard) has been on at that time. It's kind of a waystation for comics that have been MIA and probably working standup tours for the past two decades. David Allen Grier was on last week and I haven't seen him in a dog's age. 

Shogun

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

Yeah, I'm a huge mark for Clavel, and the original 1980 Richard Chamberlain mini-series was appointment viewing in my house growing up when it ran annually (as my Dad loved it too).  So yeah, especially with Hiroyuki Sanada playing Toranaga.  

Edited by RIPPA
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Raziel said:

Shogun

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

Yeah, I'm a huge mark for Clavel, and the original 1980 Richard Chamberlain mini-series was appointment viewing in my house growing up when it ran annually (as my Dad loved it too).  So yeah, especially with Hiroyuki Sanada playing Toranaga.  

Was just coming to post this, saw the trailer in my Instagram feed of all places.

HOLY SHIT indeed. I've read the book a few times, this looks so good.

I am kinda disappointed that we're getting everything subtitled instead of not knowing what anyone's saying unless it's translated for Blackthorne or his understanding of Japanese grows (unless you already speak it).  But I get it.

• Like 1

I hate the idea of subtitles. 

For me, the beauty of the story lies in Blackthorne's evolution from gaijin to hatamoto and one of the best ways to show that maturity is to let the audience witness his progression as he struggles with the culture and the language. 

It is the effort he puts in educating himself that earns John the most respect from Toronaga and the Japanese.

Yes, it is a slow and painful process, but some things should be.  Otherwise we're back to insulting moments in time dilation movie history like Nathan Algren becoming a kenjutsu master over the course of a single winter.

That is my angry old man opinion.

Edited by J.T.

Masters of the Air

From the Band of Brothers and The Pacific folks (aka Spielberg, Hanks, et al)

Austin Butler, Callum Turner, Anthony Boyle, Nate Mann, Raff Law, Barry Keoghan, Josiah Cross, Branden Cook and Ncuti Gatwa.

CBS has announced that its scripted programming will return in February

HOWEVER - they, like ABC so far, won't start airing start new shows until the 2024-2025 season

Side note - today I learned that CBS is doing a version of Matlock that is staring Kathy Bates