DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 11/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, Mister TV said:

Blue Thunder the film still holds up, sadly no one seemed to pickup on its theme of militarizing local police is a bad idea. 

To the point where the mere suggestion of steering public safety funds towards more training for police officers or hiring specialty personnel like mental health professionals to support law enforcement, rather than throwing more money towards military grade weapons and armored vehicles, will earn you the stink eye in some places.

To this day, I am not sure if the opponents of "de-fund the police" actually understands what it really means.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

MEAN GIRLS (2024)

Starring Renee Rapp, Angourie Rice, Tina Fey, Tim Meadows, and Jaquel Spivey

--

Releases January(!) 12th, 2024

Note:  This is a remake based on the MUSICAL.  You see that for maybe 0.2 seconds of the trailer.

• Like 1

I made the mistake of sleeping on the last one and it turned out to be pretty good.  Should've gone to see it in a proper theater.  Won't make the same mistake again.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I don't think anyone can make a serious argument that the first one wasn't funny. 1984's stands as one of the best comedies of the 80's... possibly ever.  

My hot take is 2016's is a better comedy than GB2 and Afterlife.   Two was a cash grab with a good villain, and Afterlife was a nostalgia trip, but looked like someone retrofitted Ghostbusters into a Stranger Things ripoff.  

2016 at least tried something new, didn't hit on many of their jokes, but overall was fine.  

• Thanks 1

Id also imagine some of the humor from 1984 may not translate to a 2023 audience, including the college professor rigging the experiment to woo the coeds in his class.

Similar to how the Ray Parker video may be a little too creepy for some in 2023. 

• Like 1

I’ve seen the original more times than I can count, but it’s not the hilarious, constant jokes movie people always make it out to be. It’s a lot of dry humor and dry, normal reactions to the absurd and it’s all done perfectly with the perfect cast at the perfect time. It’s like how friends would talk to each other except we’re all in on the humor. Where 2016 failed for me was that it was the equivalent of Paul Feige thinking he could just let everyone do whatever they wanted and what we got was the equivalent of Dee Reynolds doing stand up comedy.

I also really love Afterlife and thought it was a really nice goodbye to Harold Ramis. It has nowhere close to the situational reactions the original had, but it was still funny and as a fan of Ghostbusters lore, I fucking loved seeing final closure to Ivo Shandler. It was about as close as possible to making that awesome Ghostbusters video game canon. Loved Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd in it, but I love them in everything, the daughter was great, and Finn Wolfhard was, well, himself but tolerable.

I’m all in on this and if the reigns get handed over to Coon, Rudd, Patton, Kumail, and the kids then I’m down for more as long as this one is good. Plus, it looks original! It reminds me of when the Real Ghostbusters would have some new, evil or spooky entity to defeat each week.

Now do a third movie where someone opens up that doomsday gate that turns all the subway trains into monsters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be the first one to say that I hated Ghostbusters Ii.  Probably the reason I did not go see Afterlife in the theaters, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Afterlife despite wanting to punch Finn Wolfhard in the face really really hard every time he appeared on screen.

I think I was spoiled by the quality of the stories in The Real Ghostbusters, especially episodes like The Boogieman Cometh and The Collect Call of Cthulu.  The guys writing for that cartoon knew what the fuck was up.  There was some humor in the stories, but they were also as creepy as you could get for a Saturday morning kid's show.

I expected GB2 to be on the same level only to find out (like others have said) that folks were mailing it in for a paycheck.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

MEAN GIRLS (2024)

Starring Renee Rapp, Angourie Rice, Tina Fey, Tim Meadows, and Jaquel Spivey

--

Releases January(!) 12th, 2024

Note:  This is a remake based on the MUSICAL.  You see that for maybe 0.2 seconds of the trailer.

Lmao @ Jon Hamm

also, this

• Haha 2

I think Ghostbusters 2 was the first time I was legit disappointed by a movie in a theater. That came in 89? So I was 9 and, yeah, man, as a kid who loved everything Ghostbusters and I left that movie wanting to believe it wasn’t disappointing.

• Like 1

Every fresh round of Ghostbusters discourse makes me very happy that I came to the franchise very late and have no strong relationship to it or sense of nostalgia. Might watch for more Carrie Coon though. 

Speaking of wanting better things for Carrie Coon, just checked her filmography and she’s got a Netflix-acquired movie called His Three Daughters coming and the three daughters seem to be… Carrie Coon, Elizabeth Olsen, and Natasha Lyonne?!! Holy all-star team. 

• Like 1

I don't disagree on Afterlife capitalizing on the Stranger Things vibe of precocious tweens getting involved in supernatural adventures (see also the It remake) but I still liked it a lot more than I expected to. This may veer into personal Hot Take territory, but I thought it provided the fan service nostalgia the new Star Wars trilogy tried to capture. I'm not sure what to think about the new movie just based on that brief trailer. It kind of reminds me of a plot of a Real Ghostbusters episode, but not something that would work as a full length movie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Speaking of wanting better things for Carrie Coon, just checked her filmography and she’s got a Netflix-acquired movie called His Three Daughters coming and the three daughters seem to be… Carrie Coon, Elizabeth Olsen, and Natasha Lyonne?!! Holy all-star team. 

I'd hate to be the dad in that scenario, since y---

You know what, never mind.