DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Pics and GIFs

I am always happy to see that Bruno/Hansen match get posted. It somehow both redeems WWF/E doing "leave the cage" rules but also exposes why just about every one of them comes off hollow in the years since.

Bruno cage matches weren't about a race to be first out of the cage. Bruno cage matches were about Bruno finally getting the heel locked into a situation that they can't get out of, getting his revenge by beating the piss out of them and leaving them bloody, and then casually walking out of the cage once his thirst for revenge is satiated. ELEVENTY BILLION STARS.

• Like 11

On 11/21/2022 at 7:17 AM, clintthecrippler said:

I am always happy to see that Bruno/Hansen match get posted. It somehow both redeems WWF/E doing "leave the cage" rules but also exposes why just about every one of them comes off hollow in the years since.

Bruno cage matches weren't about a race to be first out of the cage. Bruno cage matches were about Bruno finally getting the heel locked into a situation that they can't get out of, getting his revenge by beating the piss out of them and leaving them bloody, and then casually walking out of the cage once his thirst for revenge is satiated. ELEVENTY BILLION STARS.

I love the look of disgust Bruno gives Hansen as he strolls out of the cage. Full-on Isiah Whitlock Jr. vibes. 

MeaslySleepyInganue-max-1mb.gif

• Like 3

On 11/21/2022 at 9:17 AM, clintthecrippler said:

I've never seen that before and it was exactly like it's been told. He wipes his ass out and walks off. Brilliant. (Also, that is a lot of hair on Hansen)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've never seen that before and it was exactly like it's been told. He wipes his ass out and walks off. Brilliant. (Also, that is a lot of hair on Hansen)

I prefer the escape the cage rules to having a ref in the cage doing way too many ref things like calling rope breaks, doing the 5 count on chokes, giving warnings for punches and so on, but the heel taking a beating then accidentally falling out of the cage is one of the worst finishes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I prefer the escape the cage rules to having a ref in the cage doing way too many ref things like calling rope breaks, doing the 5 count on chokes, giving warnings for punches and so on, but the heel taking a beating then accidentally falling out of the cage is one of the worst finishes.

Like pretty much everything else in wrestling, it worked when it was done the first time - Jimmy Snuka does a running headbutt to Don Muraco, who calls for the door to be opened as he's falling backwards to get out of actually putting the IC belt on Snuka - and gets run into the ground by doing it way, way too much afterwards.

Cowardly heels trying to escape over the top or through the door in a rush make sense. Really, the house rule should be that babyfaces and monster heels should never do that and should only win by walking calmly out of the door, but cowardly heels should absolutely try to use the escape rules to their advantage. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

cowardly heels should absolutely try to use the escape rules to their advantage

The best example of that is this. Pat told Backlund before the match "if you don't catch me I'm gonna win this one" so everything is an absolute mad scramble. Probably the best Escape the Cage match ever. 

WWWF 1979 - Bob Backlund Vs. Pat Patterson - video Dailymotion

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I just watched Flair/Race from starrcade 83 and Kiniski really ruins the match by constantly interjecting himself and doing things like pulling Harley by the hair to break a hold. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Magnum/Tully "I quit" match is my platonic ideal of a cage match. To me, the point should be that these two people need to get this settled without anyone else getting involved. I'm tired of every damn cage match these days having a point where either one or both of the competitors leaving the cage or someone else coming in. I'd love to just see one cage match that's just the two competitors beating the ever-loving crap out of each other in a cage.

• Like 3

Wouldn’t it be great if Leather Strap matches ended with one wrestler bloody, exhausted and destroyed as their opponent easily dragged them around the ring slapping turnbuckles? But no, every time it has to “Ha ha I followed you and you didn’t notice!”

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Log said:

The Magnum/Tully "I quit" match is my platonic ideal of a cage match. To me, the point should be that these two people need to get this settled without anyone else getting involved. I'm tired of every damn cage match these days having a point where either one or both of the competitors leaving the cage or someone else coming in. I'd love to just see one cage match that's just the two competitors beating the ever-loving crap out of each other in a cage.

Babydoll throws a chair into the ring, which allows Magnum to carve up Tully.  I'm a jerk.

• Like 1