DVDVR Message Board

THE 2022 WORLD SERIES - PHILADELPHIA vs. HOUSTON

Dolfan in NYC

Don’t see this matchup doing big ratings unless Fox manages to channel ESPN’s hype machine and make the Phillies out to be next coming of Rocky Balboa.  Feels like an average matchup even if the Phillies do make it a competitive series.

I don’t really have strong feeling for either team, so I guess I’ll root for Astros.  My feeling is Phillies may be happy just to have gotten this far.  Astros in 5.

Edited by madl

Oh my fucking god what a few weeks here in Philly.

The Phillies are my favorite sports team. I love basketball probably more than baseball but I am a basketball atheist and enjoy the sport more and certain players. I root for the Sixers but I don't live or die based on their results. I have that level of relationship with the Phillies. The 2007-2011 years were the absolute best, even with only one ring and a truly devastating ending. The Phils have been a disappointment the past few years. And baseball becoming a McKinsey case study more than an actual sport in my ways sadly made me lapsing as a fan of what should be and has been America's Beautiful Game.

But the past few weeks have been absolutely electric here. It's probably for a few reasons. 

1) While the Eagles own everything here, I think in many ways the Phils are the most beloved team. Baseball attracts a more diverse set of fans, at least here in Philly but I think that's everywhere. During the big run, everyone loved the Phils. I lean more into a more hipster/indie type of crowd and even the microbrew bars my friends and I frequent always had Phillies games on. There's no way they'd have an Eagles game on, except maybe in the playoffs. An 11-year delay just got uncorked.

2) COVID made people forget what it's like to be in a crowd for extra wildness.

3) I also think in recent years Philly has collectively no longer decided to fight its reputation - Santa and Snowballs - and instead we have as a city and region embraced being America's chaos merchants. We are the Fun House Mirror of American Cities - you recognize it, but it's completely distorted from what reality looks like. And, also, I think we're at the top of the list of the most singularly fun city in the country. On top of our notorious sports celebrations (my European co-workers asked about the greased poles), we also had the spontaneous city wide block party when we ended Trump's hopes for the presidency and celebrated Four Seasons Total Landscaping. There are spontaneous block parties and things like that here pretty regularly. The San Diego news reports live from Philly were completely batshit. They had no idea what to make of the regular use of profanity and hopping around like lunatics. 

I went to Game 3 with a friend of mine from high school and college. We're both diehard baseball fans. I got down to the game at about 6 and the parking lot was just madness. I was the only adult not drinking. I may have been the only person above the age of 16 not drinking. The lines to the port-o-potties were dozens long. A lot of "Let's Go Phillies" chants. It was all super jovial and a carnival atmosphere - including a Ferris Wheel outside.

I was at my seat and it was just absolutely brilliant. People were screaming during every pitch. Being Philly, it because a game of one-ups-manship in the section as to who could say the most horrible thing to an umpire or Padre. During points of the game when big plays were made, I was beating my chest like The Ultimate Warrior and things like that. It was absolute manic joy.

What has really jumped out to everyone is that the crowd at each game in the playoffs have just one-upped themselves in terms of atmosphere. I did not think it was possible to see something wilder than the first game against Atlanta with Rhys's bat spike. Nope. Every game is just wilder and wilder. People on my Twitter feed constantly are showing off their watches with health alerts for loudness. 

I'm struggling to think of a baseball atmosphere crazier than this. The only thing that comes to mind is the year the Cubs won the World Series. These really are historic crowds with 45,000 singalongs to Dancing On My Own.

I was watching the game at home on Sunday. I was just in sports misery after Seranthony's wild pitches and screaming about the umps not delaying the game. I thought for sure that was going to be the turning point - Our closer's inability to hold a ball in a rainstorm would cost us the pennant. I absolutely exploded during the Bryce home run. I was leaping up and down like a child and literally cried. I actually got lightheaded and fell only my couch. Very much hyperventilating.

I drove through my neighborhood Sunday night. A few hundred people were on the main street celebrating. It was epic -- especially because just a few weeks ago we had a really awful shooting at our neighborhood high school. It was just an outpouring of community happiness. 

Also, we're locally calling Sunday's game "Bedlam at the Bank" after our radio guy Scott Franzke's epic call of Bryce's home run. 

Bring on Houston!

• Like 5

Houston is everything wrong about baseball. 

Baseball is the best. But so much of the fun has been sucked out of it the past few years post-Moneyball. Watching a baseball game today requires a trigonometry degree. I never want to hear about launch angles or exit velocity or the like ever again. That, more than anything else, might be why kids don't want to watch a baseball game. It reminds them of school.

Houston and a few other teams have turned baseball into a McKinsey case study where players are no longer humans but part of a data set. There are now "top down approaches" and "best practices" and all kinds of things like that. And, on top of that, Houston still also found a need to cheat despite already having the best lineup in baseball. And I'm sure Altuve absolutely was just hiding a tattoo from his wife. 

Fuck the Stros. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I never want to hear about launch angles or exit velocity or the like ever again. That, more than anything else, might be why kids don't want to watch a baseball game. It reminds them of school.

Kids "stopped watching" long before launch angles were ever a discussion. They stopped watching because the adults in their lives complained about how long games take, because games started late, because the pace of play is glacial, because games are too expensive to attend in person, and because other sports took their attention. Launch angles might on the list of reasons but it's down there below "Mom lost the remote so we're stuck watching Hallmark for so eternity". 

23 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Houston is everything wrong about baseball. 

Baseball is the best. But so much of the fun has been sucked out of it the past few years post-Moneyball. Watching a baseball game today requires a trigonometry degree. I never want to hear about launch angles or exit velocity or the like ever again. That, more than anything else, might be why kids don't want to watch a baseball game. It reminds them of school.

Houston and a few other teams have turned baseball into a McKinsey case study where players are no longer humans but part of a data set. There are now "top down approaches" and "best practices" and all kinds of things like that. And, on top of that, Houston still also found a need to cheat despite already having the best lineup in baseball. And I'm sure Altuve absolutely was just hiding a tattoo from his wife. 

Fuck the Stros. 

Altuve didn't cheat.  Buzzer conspiracy theory is bonkers.  Blame it on Carlos Beltran who brought the cheating from the Yankees.

And I don't know if you've noticed that you can't hear shit at Minute Maid Park, so I doubt it helped at all. 

And as far as the system -- Astros lost Springer, Correa, Cole, etc. and just keep winning.  System is working.

Edited by Lawful Metal
  • Like 1

Altuve definitely cheated. Whether he was wearing a buzzer or just listening for the garbage cans, he definitely cheated. 

And did the cheating help? It's not like you keep doing stuff all year that's illegal if it ISN'T helping so... yeah. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 4:05 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Shit like this is why I love baseball.

Phillies aren't anywhere near to "my team" and god this made me emotional.  

Y luego, esta esto.

Love "blahblahblahblah sneak a fastball by him blahblahblah."