DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report 2/14/23)

RIPPA

The bar for “hey, this dude is playing winter ball?” was apparently set back in August and nobody noticed it:

https://www.mlb.com/es/news/yoenis-cespedes-se-une-a-las-aguilas-cibaenas-como-refuerzo

translated excerpt:

Céspedes joins the Águilas Cibaeñas as reinforcement

"La Power" has returned to Dominican baseball.

The Águilas Cibaeñas announced on Friday that they have added Cuban slugger Yoenis Céspedes as a reinforcement for the 2022-23 season.

According to the Eagles, Céspedes aspires to play in the majors again.  The outfielder hasn't seen major league action since the shortened 2020 season, when he abruptly left the Mets after playing in just eight games.

Céspedes played just 119 games for New York between the 2017-2018 seasons and missed the entire 2019 season due to various injuries, including surgery on both heels and fractures to his right ankle that he suffered in an accident on his ranch.

Cespedes turns 37 next week.

Long played in the Royals system from 1989 to 1996 (Eugene, Baseball City, Memphis, Omaha, Wichita), retiring at age 30 to manage/coach in the Royals system until 2003. He directly went from being the Omaha Royals hitting coach to the Columbus Clippers hitting coach position that put him in line for the Yankee job.

To be honest I didn't think the Mariners were getting past Houston anyway. They just aren't built to slug it out with a team like the Astros yet. The good news is, the vast bulk of that team will be back next season. The only free agents off the MLB roster are Adam Frazier, Carlos Santana, Mitch Haniger and Curt Casali for hitters with Matt Boyd and Chris Flexen being the only pitchers. Boyd and Flexen are both expendable and are just good enough that they can probably get decent contracts but the Mariners don't need either of them. Boyd may get brought back if he's willing to take a prove it deal since they could use a lefty in the bullpen but Flexen is definitely gone. The only way I could see Casali sticking around is if they DFA Tom Murphy but I don't see that happening unless Murphy refuses to take a bench role. If he does I doubt Casali comes back since Murphy is already under contract for 2023 and they also have Luis Torrens. Oh, and this switch hitting guy that everyone seems to like. Frazier and Santana will probably each be asking for 10 million and with the Mariners already estimated to be at 126 million with their existing contracts (plus the Arb eligible guys) I doubt they spend that much on a pair of guys who hit below .250. If Santana were willing to be a bench player I wouldn't mind him being back for 5-7 million but I don't see him accepting that at all. Haniger may come back but I'm sure he's gonna be asking for at least 15 million (he may even get a QO) and will probably want a long term deal which the Ms don't need to give him. Besides I'm guessing they will want Jesse Winker to be the every day DH since his outfield defense was awful. The good news for Ms fans is there's little chance they're gonna spend a lot of money on pitching since they're already pretty well set except for maybe a couple of bullpen slots (and even then maybe not as they have a couple of relievers on the IL who will be under contract next season) so if they spend anywhere it will be on hitters. They'll need an upgrade at 2B for sure as Frazier was an albatross there all season long. They could also use another outfielder as Haniger will likely be leaving, Winker needs to just DH and Kyle Lewis' knees may be worse than Terry Funk's. Of course knowing DiPoto he'll probably make a couple of trades instead of spending any extra money.

On 10/16/2022 at 12:17 AM, BrianS81177 said:

To be honest I didn't think the Mariners were getting past Houston anyway. They just aren't built to slug it out with a team like the Astros yet. The good news is, the vast bulk of that team will be back next season. 

The other good news is that the AL West looks to remain a 2 team division for the foreseeable future since the Angels aren’t competent, the Rangers have never been competent, and the A’s are intentionally sabotaging themselves so as to rationalize relocating so they will be turning their phone off anytime competence tries to call them asking to hang out again.

so, no feet being held to the fire there

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

The other good news is that the AL West looks to remain a 2 team division for the foreseeable future since the Angels aren’t competent, the Rangers have never been competent, and the A’s are intentionally sabotaging themselves so as to rationalize relocating so they will be turning their phone off anytime competence tries to call them asking to hang out again.

so, no feet being held to the fire there

Yeah I don't expect the Angels and As to be competitive really at all. Rangers may be a .500 team. It's Seattle and Houston for at least the next couple years.

DiPoto has said that they want to get one of the top SS available (Turner, Correa, Bogaerts, Swanson) and have them play 2B because they don't want to move JP Crawford. Now I like JP a lot. His defense is pretty solid (this was a down year for him a bit but he has gold glove potential) and he just seems like a terrific dude IRL. But if you have a chance to sign one of those 4 and blow it because you don't wanna move a guy who hit .243 and had an OPS of .675... well that seems kinda dumb to me.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 2:49 PM, RIPPA said:

Give me a minute to get my shocked face on

Dude wants all the Washington teams. Is it only the NFL that prohibits owning other sports teams?