DVDVR Message Board

(SPOILERS) NXT TV Taping (7/27/21) (includes 205 Live)

victor

The next two weeks of NXT episodes were taped at the Capitol Wrestling Center in Orlando, Florida on Wednesday night. Due to a scheduling conflict with the Olympics, both episodes will air on Syfy.

Spoiler

205 Live (Friday, July 30) --

- Drake Maverick defeated Asher Hale

- Leon Ruff defeated Grayson Waller

NXT (Tuesday, July 27) --

- Pete Dunne & Oney Lorcan defeated Tommaso Ciampa & Timothy Thatcher

Ridge Holland returned after the match to help Dunne and Lorcan destroy Ciampa and Thatcher.

- There was an in-ring segment with Samoa Joe offering his resignation as an NXT authority figure to be able to have a match with Karrion Kross for the NXT Championship at NXT TakeOver 36. William Regal, who initially wanted to fire Kross, agreed to Joe's deal and signed the paperwork. TakeOver 36 is taking place on Sunday, August 22.

- NXT Breakout Tournament first-round match: Carmelo Hayes defeated Josh Briggs

- NXT Women's Champion Raquel Gonzalez and Dakota Kai came out to the ring. Gonzalez and Kai both talked up how dominant Gonzalez has been and said that, as long as Kai has Gonzalez's back, no one is taking the title.

When Gonzalez turned away to pose with the championship, Kai laid her out with a kick and then held the title up herself.

- Kacy Catanzaro & Kayden Carter defeated Franky Monet & Jessi Kamea (w/ Robert Stone)

- Imperium (Marcel Barthel & Fabian Aichner) defeated Hit Row (Top Dolla & Ashante "Thee" Adonis)

Hit Row lost when Legado del Fantasma caused a distraction.

- Adam Cole defeated Bronson Reed

Kyle O'Reilly attacked Cole with a steel chair after the match.

• RIPPA changed the title to (SPOILERS) NXT TV Taping (7/27/21) (includes 205 Live)

I am splitting victor's post into 2 threads.

Only reason I used a spoiler box is to prevent it showing up in post previews. You don't need to use them in this thread

I like Kai as a heel, but they haven't done much to build her up as a title contender.  She's mostly been used to make faces look good or be the obstacle people run through so they can get the match with Gonzalez.  I don't really buy her as a threat to Gonzalez unless Gonzalez is on her way to the main roster.

Joe resigning his enforcer gig is interesting.  Wonder if this means he'll return to the ring full-time.

Ciampa/Thatcher vs. Dunne/Lorcan was fun. happy to see Holland back. He gave good killer vibes before his injury.

The short Hit Row vid was nice.

Briggs/Hayes was ok, mostly a showcase for Hayes. Could have done without the piped in crowd noise.

Dakota's turn on Raquel was alright.

Stone causing Franky her first loss in NXT already is slightly surprising. She looked ready to murder the man worse than Aliyah did at the end. I'm with Dean on Kacy and Kayden needing to be tag champs already. When it happens they should hold the belts for a good six months at least.

Kind of like the idea of Mandy starting her own group in NXT.

Bivens as a mouthpiece for Strong was a smart move.

Hit Row vs. Imperium was solid. Dug the post stuff between Hit Row and Legado del Fantasma.

I enjoyed Grimes and Knight at the golf course.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Why are we cheering Dakota? How is she the babyface here?  Raquel didn't do anything to deserve to be attacked like that.

I imagine its because its the feud we have been waiting for since the two started teaming. It was always heading this direction, and while Raquel did nothing wrong she hasn't done anything to really make herself a face either. I mean the face reaction when Xia Li challenged Raquel was kind of crazy despite Xia having been a heel for months by that point. I'm not surprised people defaulted in the moment for Dakota. It will be interesting to see how the crowd reacts the next few weeks.

Edited by Eivion

I noticed that everyone was wearing masks inside the CWC during this episode. Is that a recent change? I don't remember noticing that during past NXT episodes over the past month or two but I could definitely be wrong.

10 hours ago, Peck said:

Why are we cheering Dakota? How is she the babyface here?  Raquel didn't do anything to deserve to be attacked like that.

We're cheering for Dakota?  I saw this as more of a face turn for Raquel.  Kai's envy of her teammate has finally gotten the better of her and it will probably be Raquel that works baby in their inevitable title match.

Yes.  Put the ladies tag belts on the KCs.  The Shirai / Stark partnership will probably end up in a respect feud between Zoey and Io anyway after they drop the titles.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

We're cheering for Dakota?  I saw this as more of a face turn for Raquel.  Kai's envy of her teammate has finally gotten the better of her and it will probably be Raquel that works baby in their inevitable title match.

I think that was the plan, but the crowd really wants to go back to cheering Kai and did so when she bilindsided Raquel. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the heat ends up 50/50 or worse when they wrestle. Kai has that likable babyface aura about her (Even when she's a heel) while Raquel has a bit of a "WWE project" aura about her. They might have been better off doing this turn before they got back in front of live audiences...

11 hours ago, Peck said:

I noticed that everyone was wearing masks inside the CWC during this episode. Is that a recent change? I don't remember noticing that during past NXT episodes over the past month or two but I could definitely be wrong.

As far as I can remember, fans have been wearing masks for quite a while now.  Fairly sure it's not a recent change.

12 hours ago, Peck said:

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

As far as I can remember, fans have been wearing masks for quite a while now.  Fairly sure it's not a recent change.

NXT never got rid of the original mask mandate. They tape every week in the same building in... Florida. They quickly realized it would be a major risk to allow one of the biggest anti vax locations to take off the masks and potentially cause an outbreak for the NXT roster. So they have always required masks there since the time they allowed fans back. I don't think they have any plans to drop the masks while still filming at the CWC. And who knows when Full Sail will allow them back.

2 hours ago, MKERyan said:

Why are we cheering Dakota?

Because she’s awesome and Raquel is as exciting as a wet blanket who’s entire personality seems to be simply calling her opponents “Chiquita”.

Remember how hot the Crowd was when Dakota Turned on Nox. 

Dakota is long-time NXT fan favorite. The crowds have been cooperative with her heel run for the most part, but deep down everyone still wants to see her win the big one.

I'm more confused by KoR/Cole. I thought Kyle was supposed to be on a big redemption arc, but his post-match attack was very heel-ish and Cole has been getting a lot of babyface reactions lately. While I'm not his biggest fan, I can see that his style is clearly over with the crowd and he does have the all-important catchphrase. A double turn might be in order.

The Way continues to be the best act on the show full of great acts. I'm surprised the Love her/Leave her match didn't make the ppv, but the sooner we get to Johnny and Candace having to be polite at dinner to Dexter with a giddy Indi the better.

Hit Row/Imperium/Legado is totally the 2021 gang warz, and I'm here for it. I like MSK well enough, but they need to drop the belts to one of these three.

The Grimes/LA Knight saga shouldn't be as entertaining as it is. Knight is great as a stooging heel, Grimes isn't looking weak, and working in GYV was great writing and roster utilization.

Kacy and Kayden rule and would be much better babyface champs than Io/Zoey.

I'd like to see Diamond Mine step up to Hit Row centered around Roddy vs. Swerve after Hit Row/LDF is finished.

The opening match ruled! Ciampa selling the fingers after patting himself on the back ruled so much! I wondered during the match when Danny Birch is ready to go again, but only momentarily figured Ridge Holland would still be out for a while. His return was a total surprise! He looked very Brockish in a good way during the post match beat-down!

Now, I'm all for Joe getting back into the ring and they sure did the very best they could with the angle without Kross being there! The real story is this: Is the T-shirt Joe was wearing a real piece of merch? Isn't that dangerous IRL? You could not get me to wear a shirt that says "Provoke Me" in the front!

Josh Briggs losing in the Breakout Tournament was surprising!

I'll be there for Frankie&Jessie vs Kacy&Kayden! Mandy getting some back up is also interesting! Robert Stone is about to find himself in deep shit, once again!

We all knew Dakota was eventually going to turn on Raquel, but I didn't think it was going to be this soon, though! Mid-way through her promo she dropped enough hints to figure out that the time was now!

Another win for Kacy&Kayden, pinning Frankie, no less! This will make them the #1 contenders! Seeing Io and Zoey not YET getting along makes me think we are about to have new champions yet again, when they get their shot!

Hit Row v Imperium was fine. Both Barthel and Aichner look to be in great shape these days! Adonis' pecs are also out of control! So Hit Row are faces now? That's a bit sudden, but I guess they turned when they showed all that real talent at rapping?

Dexter wants to become a new member of The Way/Gargano family? That should go swimmingly. Oh, they are going to fight for the spot? Ok, then!

The Knight-Grimes-Dibiase-GYV shenanigans were something. I'm not 100% sure what, exactly, but effort was there, at least!

Cole vs Reed is another one of those HBK vs Vader matches where Vader is the face. Those are tricky to pull off! Well, I guess they did it, though If Reed is going to the main roster, I feel bad for him in advance. He's damn amazing and deserves everything. I doubt he'll get it! Wow, Cole sure is surprisingly strong getting the Panama Sunrising Reed like that! PCO's bad eye could see the KOR attack after the match, though! So the third match between the two will get rid of one of them, right? Presumably Cole.

It may not have been Jericho in a death match, but this was a fine episode!

Edited by Shartnado
Watched the whole thing