DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

47 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He absolutely was lying.  His claim was two 1st rounders.  The deal is a 2nd and 3rd.  Not.  Even.  Close.

That's not exactly lying. He was incorrect. The deal was still for 2 picks, one of them possibly being a 1st rounder. Now, whether he reported the first thing he heard or he exaggerated what the Colts were giving to drive a bigger story is a different story.

Just now, Craig H said:

That's not exactly lying. 

He was lying.  If what he reported had any any scintilla of truth, that trade would have gone through.  The fact the Eagles took a 2nd and 3rd shows that the 1st/1st offer never happened.

• Like 1

Just now, supremebve said:

Cam Newton was MVP at one point, so was Matt Ryan, but what does any of that have to do with today?  

He's going back to the coach who got good production out of him while simultaneously upgrading the talent around him?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He was lying.  If what he reported had any any scintilla of truth, that trade would have gone through.  The fact the Eagles took a 2nd and 3rd shows that the 1st/1st offer never happened.

Dude, you're wrong. Fucking watch the clip.

And Carson Wentz sucks. He'll look good because the AFC South is practically a dumpster fire and I have my doubts that the Titans will be much better than they were last year. It's hard for me to expect a third year straight where Henry puts the team on his back or survives unscathed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

What is it about quarterbacks that make GMs do dumb shit?  Is it just that the talent pool is so small, so their value is inflated?  It just seems like teams love throwing a ton of money at QBs who are either unproven or have proven to be mediocre or even not good.

Tennessee getting Ryan Tannehil for a 4th round pick and something else I don't remember honestly worked out better than about 99% of these deals. It's absolutely partially how small the actual elite talent pool is but even so with a lot of guys you already know what they are after a few years. Even Tannehil improving statistically for the Titans is an outlier.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Dude, you're wrong. Fucking watch the clip.

Then whoever said Jaws said the offer was a 1st/1st was mistaken.  Fair enough.  I was going off that information.  

My apologies for saying Jaws was lying.  I will not retract saying that he's lied in the past.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Honestly, this isn't that bad a deal for Indy. They get a guy with talent who has struggled, reunite him with a coach that clearly knows how to use him, and if it bombs, at least they didn't give up a 1st. He's back playing for the coach that got the most out of him, and he's once again surrounded with weapons unlike the last couple years. If he stays healthy, I wouldn't be shocked if Wentz is at least an above average starter next year.

I mean, I also won't be shocked if he utterly sucks, but this feels like a gamble worth taking to me.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly, this isn't that bad a deal for Indy. They get a guy with talent who has struggled, reunite him with a coach that clearly knows how to use him, and if it bombs, at least they didn't give up a 1st. He's back playing for the coach that got the most out of him, and he's once again surrounded with weapons unlike the last couple years. If he stays healthy, I wouldn't be shocked if Wentz is at least an above average starter next year.

I mean, I also won't be shocked if he utterly sucks, but this feels like a gamble worth taking to me.

I think the biggest issue with the Wentz trade is the Wentz contract.  The Colts are a team with a lot of talent and they got a high paid quarterback who may be the same as the marginally high paid quarterback they already have.  They could have used that money to get more talent to try to make up for Brissett's limitations or they could have used that money to try to upgrade at quarterback with someone who may not even be an upgrade.

• Like 1

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Looking at this, some of the teams that are over the cap aren't so surprising. KC, Green Bay, Pittsburgh. Some are uh... Detroit!?! Chicago!?! THE EAGLES ARE $41 MILLION OVER!?! 

Jesus you could probably put a team together that would compete with the Jets just off of the Saints cap overages.

21 hours ago, Tabe said:

Then whoever said Jaws said the offer was a 1st/1st was mistaken.  Fair enough.  I was going off that information.  

My apologies for saying Jaws was lying.  I will not retract saying that he's lied in the past.

Schefter is reporting that the Colts offer:  a) never changed and b) were unopposed in the bidding.  

Chicago was interested but didn't make an offer.  And New England was not interested.  

So... Jaws is probably lying about lying. ? 

Kinda bummed the Bears didn't go for Wentz because I figured any move they made would be really dumb and cripple them further. Meanwhile, no idea who the Packers will cut to make the cap work. The speculation about JJ Watt going to Green Bay has been so fuckin' dumb. What're we gonna do, hope he wants to play for literal peanuts? I'd rather keep the Smith Bros. together than bring in Watt. I'm glad at least Jaire Alexander is locked up.

Oh and apparently the NFL wants to double the cost of the rights package and everyone but Disney is cool with that.*

The Monday Night Football package runs out a year before all the other deals (MNF runs out after this season, the rest after 2022) do so it is possible MNF will move somewhere else besides ESPN (especially if Disney continues to balk at the increase). 

* - I am being a touch facetious here. The wording of the story is that everyone but Disney is more likely to accept a 100% (or near 100%) increase

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and apparently the NFL wants to double the cost of the rights package and everyone but Disney is cool with that.*

The Monday Night Football package runs out a year before all the other deals (MNF runs out after this season, the rest after 2022) do so it is possible MNF will move somewhere else besides ESPN (especially if Disney continues to balk at the increase). 

* - I am being a touch facetious here. The wording of the story is that everyone but Disney is more likely to accept a 100% (or near 100%) increase

Apparently one of the sticking points for Disney is that they want ABC to be in the rotation for the Super Bowl.

John Ourand reports that the NFL's asking price to Disney is $3.5 Billion. That is a 75% increase (ESPN is currently paying $2 Billion a year)

Disney's counter is $2.4 Billion (a 20% increase)

It is gonna be interesting because I feel like Disney is one of the few companies that can tell the NFL to go fuck themselves but who knows

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

John Ourand reports that the NFL's asking price to Disney is $3.5 Billion. That is a 75% increase (ESPN is currently paying $2 Billion a year)

Disney's counter is $2.4 Billion (a 20% increase)

It is gonna be interesting because I feel like Disney is one of the few companies that can tell the NFL to go fuck themselves but who knows

Unless the NFL is willing to put MNF on a streaming service there's no one else out there that's going to pay $3.5 billion or even $2.5 billion, I can't see WarnerMedia(TBS/TNT), NewsCorp(FS1), or Comcast(NBCSN/USA) shelling out that kind of money.

• Like 1

Blistering article about DeMaurice Smith and his representation of the NFLPA.  Some fun revelations from the article include:

- that the NFLPA paid Drew Brees nearly $10m during his tenure on its executive committee.  The union claims this was his income from their licensing deal but that's not what the paperwork says and it's not clear why the payments would get handled the way they did.

- the NFLPA paid $80m in legal fees over the last decade, much of it spent on fruitless lawsuits and for hiring lawyers that weren't needed

- lots of shenanigans that show Smith is maybe a little too comfy with the owners instead of the players

Anyway, long, in-depth article that is well worth a read:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30930834/inside-dual-legacies-nfl-players-union-boss-demaurice-smith

So Alex Smith turned on Washington today (whether it was a face or heel turn will be up to you)

In an interview with GQ, he says that Washington didn't want him last year and basically tried to get rid of him and he forced them to play him.

So clearly he is not planning on being back next year

Local reporting says that what appears what set off Smith was things like not starting the playoff game and Ron Rivera basically saying the team would have done just as well with Kyle Allen as QB