DVDVR Message Board

Straight-up Squash Matches

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Does it count as a squash if the guy doing the squash gets dq'ed? The beating Kendrick takes in this one is pretty extreme, even by early 2000s standards.

Lordhavemercy, this was brutal but they got their money's worth out of that brutality. Thee Brian Kendrick, at least your brain cells were sacrificed to further Brock's character development, an angle or two and the following SummerSlam. Stick this in the Blood Freak thread.

- RAF

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't know Kendrick wrestled as Spanky in WWE. I also don't recall seeing Steph without the fake tits. And why was she gonna be in a match with Albert?! 

Pre-PG WWE was a hell of a place. That match in particular was part of the particularly creepy/disgusting Vince/Steph feud that culminated with an I Quit match between the two at No Mercy 2003.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:58 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Just got to post this for the Dustyisms. He also gets an unexpected crack in against a corny Larryism. 

Whoa it’s Pez Whatley! Not a bad Stinger Splash there either by Tenta. So Earthquake, Whatley and Luger all on WCW Pro. Fun times that probably never happened again.

• 1 month later...

Has The Mulkeys win vs The Gladiators ever been done again by anybody else? Lol what there have been many upsets The Kid vs Razor, Iaukea vs Regal, etc. That’s not what that match was though which I will get to. There were also other kinds of upsets like Goldberg vs Hugh Morrus and Tommy Rich vs Harley Race.

The Gladiators were promoted on TV for a few weeks before to arrive from a phantom territory that they were champions of IIRC. They might have even had belts lol! They were going to be in the Crockett Cup before they lost to the Mulkeys. I don’t think straight jobbers have ever beat a previously, seriously, promoted opponent any other time. That also excludes many Raven’s Nest and Flock members losing. If I’m wrong about the Gladiators being promoted on TV part, there’s still the matter of them being masked gimmicks vs jobbers. However bad they ended up bombing Arachnaman, The Juicer, etc didn’t lose their first match on TV vs a jobber. Also many of those guys had made up backstories about being wrestlers like The Gladiators did, as opposed to The Blackmailer, Cruel Commection etc. 

I know about David Sammartino vs Ron Shaw but I really only know it happened. I don’t know that whole story. Also I thought I would dump this here since a “Mulkeys” search didn’t give me much else.

Edited by BloodyChamp
Goldberg vs Hugh Morrus doi...not Regal

Not quite the same as the Mulkeys, but Goldberg's first TV match against Hugh Morrus seemingly presented him as just cannon fodder. Goldberg had no entrance, was in the ring already coming from the commercial break and introduced after Hugh Morris got his entrance, with the commentary at the beginning talking about Hugh Morrus looking impressive recently. 

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Not quite the same as the Mulkeys, but Goldberg's first TV match against Hugh Morrus seemingly presented him as just cannon fodder. Goldberg had no entrance, was in the ring already coming from the commercial break and introduced after Hugh Morris got his entrance, with the commentary at the beginning talking about Hugh Morrus looking impressive recently. 

That had to have happened before. I can’t remember it off the top of my head, but it had to have no? Even if it wasn’t somebody who was going to go undefeated? Did Prince Iaukea have an entrance vs Regal? Anyway it’s still not the same as the Mulkeys. 

3 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

That had to have happened before. I can’t remember it off the top of my head, but it had to have no? Even if it wasn’t somebody who was going to go undefeated? Did Prince Iaukea have an entrance vs Regal? Anyway it’s still not the same as the Mulkeys. 

HOROWITZ WINS! HOROWITZ WINS! HOROWITZ WINS!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

HOROWITZ WINS! HOROWITZ WINS! HOROWITZ WINS!

I’m not the WWF historian but wasn’t that coming from a mile away? I think it might have even been a storyline that played out on a syndicated show or something. 

As I recall it was totally out of left field. I mean the announcers did talk about Horowitz losing all the time but that was hardly unheard of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I think Billy Robinson got introduced that way in Australia and the AWA. Amusingly, both matches were against Strong Kobayashi, who was getting a big push in each fed... and the second time it happened, Kobayashi supposedly had a worried look on his face before the match.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, Octopus said:

Bring me da Buddy

Dang...an OoOoO from the crowd at the final punch and a singalong with the 3 count. I never knew Kerry was the over in the WWF. 

For the Hot Takes thread - Buddy’s fat pecs look better than Kerry’s muscular, starting to tear away one do lol ugh...

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/30/2021 at 10:21 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Has The Mulkeys win vs The Gladiators ever been done again by anybody else? Lol what there have been many upsets The Kid vs Razor, Iaukea vs Regal, etc. That’s not what that match was though which I will get to. There were also other kinds of upsets like Goldberg vs Regal and Tommy Rich vs Harley Race.

The Gladiators were promoted on TV for a few weeks before to arrive from a phantom territory that they were champions of IIRC. They might have even had belts lol! They were going to be in the Crockett Cup before they lost to the Mulkeys. I don’t think straight jobbers have ever beat a previously, seriously, promoted opponent any other time. That also excludes many Raven’s Nest and Flock members losing. If I’m wrong about the Gladiators being promoted on TV part, there’s still the matter of them being masked gimmicks vs jobbers. However bad they ended up bombing Arachnaman, The Juicer, etc didn’t lose their first match on TV vs a jobber. Also many of those guys had made up backstories about being wrestlers like The Gladiators did, as opposed to The Blackmailer, Cruel Commection etc. 

I know about David Sammartino vs Ron Shaw but I really only know it happened. I don’t know that whole story. Also I thought I would dump this here since a “Mulkeys” search didn’t give me much else.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:42 PM, clintthecrippler said:

IIRC AEW ran a misdirection play along these lines with Abadon's TV debut

Anna Jay getting the promo package and the pre-match talking up by the broadcast team does set up the expectation that she's going to be the one to shine in this upcoming match but Abadon ends up squashing her (though admittedly that initial expectation does start getting turned on its head as soon as Abadon gets Second Introduction.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 1:21 AM, BloodyChamp said:

Has The Mulkeys win vs The Gladiators ever been done again by anybody else? Lol what there have been many upsets The Kid vs Razor, Iaukea vs Regal, etc. That’s not what that match was though which I will get to. There were also other kinds of upsets like Goldberg vs Hugh Morrus and Tommy Rich vs Harley Race.

I think The Gladiator thing was strictly to put over The Mulkey's in order to get them into the CC. They just threw George South and Gary Royal under the masks. The Gladiators weren't intended to be a full-time team. It wasn't like they had them lose and then had further plans for them. It was pretty hilarious to see this team from "LA" cutting promos with accents straight out of Bucksnort, TN.

• Like 1