DVDVR Message Board

October Horrordays

Curt McGirt

There is also apparently a new 6 disc Exorcist blu-ray collection coming out Tuesday. 

I'm guessing it's

Disc 1 - The Exorcist

Disc 2 - The Exorcist Extended Cut (formerly known as The Version You've Never Seen)

Disc 3 - The Exorcist II: The Heretic

Disc 4 - The Exorcist III: Legion

Disc 5 - The Exorcist: Beginning

Disc 6 - Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist.

So that's one all-time classic, one unnecessary extended version of that classic (I usually love extended cuts, but that one really fucks with the rhythm of the movie in a bad way), one of the worst movies ever made, an overlooked solid film, a bloody studio hack film, and fairly decent introspective film ruined by laughably bad effects...

Yay?

Alucarda [1977] - Really dug this.  This is the trashy, distant Mexican cousin to The Devils but with more witchery.  "A young girl's arrival at a convent after the death of her parents marks the beginning of a series of events that unleash an evil presence on the girl and her mysterious new friend, an enigmatic figure known as Alucarda."  You have big hair, a shitload of screaming, demon possession, a good amount of nudity, Satanic rituals, an disappearing and reappearing man in bad goblin makeup, screaming, a ton of atmosphere, fog, and even more screaming.

This year's thread is already going into fullforce!  I watched ALUCARDA this weekend after reading about here and man, that movie is FUUUH-reakie!  The most psychotic part of the movie is the sanctuary in every possible way- but mostly the several dozen crucifixions.  The most Catholic movie ever made. 

We have a mini horror/sci-fi festival up here in October, and they've announced the first 10 movies.  I have a good idea of what to expect from three of them: ABCs of Death 2, The Babadook and Dead Snow 2.  Has anyone heard anything good or bad about any of the following other seven?

Hellmouth

Predestination

Wolves

Open Windows

Zombeavers

Suburban Gothic

Time Lapse

Jingus, if you can figure out the hustle, just let me know.

"I'll take any man's money if he givin' it away!" - Clay Davis

Fowler and I have already floated the idea of a kickstarter campaign designed to fund DVDR Films.

Y'all need to get on board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matango

A question: is Swamp Thing the worst goddamn thing Wes Craven ever put out or what? I tried to watch some of it but just had to turn it off. 

My Soul To Take is by far the worst thing Wes Craven has been associated with and A Vampire In Brooklyn is a close second.

I can forgive Cursed because, well, we need as many werewolf movies as we can get.

Fowler and I have already floated the idea of a kickstarter campaign designed to fund DVDR Films.

I have well over 200 hours of TERRA CHIMP films storyboarded and ready to go.

Remember. Each film is 18 hours long and run on a continuous loop and people buy weekly passes.

I can't wait until the ShowShow podcast do their 7th Annual Halloween Spooktacular in which they review one horror film a day every day in October. 

Outside the Cinema also have their Halloween Throwdown the last Saturday of October in which the host Bill By Force on their live video feed shows a bunch of horror films and does fun stuff in between while listeners have a live chat.  It's usually 12 noon to midnight.

The most obvious one is a website, with some combination of written reviews, podcasts, and maybe Nostalgia Critic-style video reviews and retrospectives.  Didn't some guys here contribute to some kind of crowd-written site, kinda like Segunda Caida but about horror flicks?  I can't remember the name of it, someone once asked me if I wanted to write reviews for it but I just never had that much time to contribute to writing even more stuff for free.  If we could get some kind of an audience and then score some advertisers, that would probably be the easiest way to go.  

I've long thought that several of us should pool our modest resources and come us with some sort of horror social media thing-a-ma-doo.  It can't be too hard, and it would really only require a few hours a month at most, because we could do a round-robin format where we submit an article/review bi-monthly.

Yeah, something like that.  

I would LOVE to do that, but I dunno exactly how we'd do it or split up the work.  We all live in completely different parts of the country, for one thing; unless we were all contributing shorts to an anthology film, it would be awfully damn difficult to schedule filming anything with the same cast of actors.  All of us have different talents; I'm pretty good at coming up with vague big-picture ideas for stories and also at directing actors, but I'm lousy at doing the actual nitpicky work of writing a full script and I'm not a terribly good cameraman.  Similarly, I'm great at the theory of editing and pacing the rhythm of the cuts, but I've got almost zero hands-on experience with using any kind of modern editing software.  And I don't have any equipment, nor do I know many people who could work as actors or crew.  How would we delegate everything in order to get shit done?  

The most obvious one is a website, with some combination of written reviews, podcasts, and maybe Nostalgia Critic-style video reviews and retrospectives.  Didn't some guys here contribute to some kind of crowd-written site, kinda like Segunda Caida but about horror flicks?  I can't remember the name of it, someone once asked me if I wanted to write reviews for it but I just never had that much time to contribute to writing even more stuff for free.  If we could get some kind of an audience and then score some advertisers, that would probably be the easiest way to go.  

I would think at this point either a video review or a podcast would be the best way to make some coin off of all that knowledge.  Youtube money is probably the most lucrative, as you'd get cash from the partner system and possibly get sponsorship from Netflix or other companies.  With podcasts you'd have to hope you drew the attention of a media group or had the cajones to hustle sponsors yourself.  Either way there'd be a period where you had to give away your product for free and you'd have to be willing to shill yourself nonstop.

Sorry I realize I wasn't really part of the conversation, but monetizing my love of games/movies/so on has been on my mind a lot lately.

Okay, so Halloween: The Complete Collection Deluxe Edition blu-ray boxset is on my shelf, and, guys, it's stepped right into the discussion with things like The Alien Quadrilogy blu-ray box for "best thing in my way too large collection."

Shout Factory went all fucking out on the Echo Bridge/Dimension films that have never gotten a blu-ray above "crappy" before, and have some nice new things here and there on the Anchor Bay releases.  The only spot that's even kind of a letdown is the two Zombie films, which just got straight ports of their original blu-ray releases (which means, oddly, no theatrical cuts, as those both only ever got dvd releases afaik.)  But since the first one is absolutely loaded with bonus stuff (seriously, the Michael Lives documentary is one of the best making-of features ever, even if you hate the movie) and the second one has a fair amount of bonus material, it's hard to complain.

And...  Finally I have seen The Producer's Cut in good vq and aq, and it actually really is a massively better film than what got released.

And, guys...  It's now down to 107.98 at Amazon.  2.01 LESS than I just paid (assholes!)  So...  You know, if you have some expendable folding cash, fucking buy it.

• Like 1