DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

So WWE Films only uses guys you wouldn't notice were gone from TV now? Also, that synopsis leads me to believe this was originally supposed to be another Twelve Rounds with Orton, but he didn't feel like doing it. 

7 hours ago, Cristobal said:

At a lunch meeting at work yesterday, someone mentioned where they were during 9/11, and Drake said "I was in kindergarten."

We all concluded "Fuck Drake."

Bullshit he was playing a junior high student on Degrassi in '01...

• Like 2

I would totally cast Bo Dallas as his paramedic buddy, but of course they're gonna have him as generic biker number 4.

So does Maryse play his gf/wife in the movie or a random truck stop waitress of some sort cause wasn't Summer Rae's big part in Marine 4 like three minutes of screen time?

Everyone in that I can see doing a cheesy movie except Curtis Axel.   His acting skills is going to be interesting.  

Funny the idea of a Marine 5 since you can't even get Marine 1 or 2 to show on cable channels?  I doubt Marine 3 or 4 even maybe STARZ or EPIX

I've watched 12 Rounds on HBO before. I've also seen that Triple H movie Inside Out on the Showtime channel that plays b action flicks. Inside Out was not a bad film but it also had a stellar cast around Triple H with Michael Rappaport, Parker Posey and Bruce Dern.

Edit: I've seen one of the Miz Marines on IFC before which made me sad cuz I remember when IFC didn't have commercials and played obscure truly independent films. I say Fresh for the first time at 13, stumbling upon it on IFC.

Any speculation on this #Hatch business from the WWE twitter account?  They're already advertising Cena's return this Memorial Day along with the Wyatts, so hopefully it's not just related to them (or additional WWE Film nonsense). Spoiler tag used just to condense the three tweets I know of so far:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

They're unlocking the vault where the World Title has been kept in preparation for the brand split?

That and/or an Elimination Chamber return to decide the new champion are the best theories I've heard so far.

Thematically, I'm holding out for another Marty Wright appearance.

• Like 1

Terrible.  Why is he humble underdog seeking respect again.  Rollins ain't Lesnar.

The Big Dog should've been, "Do I respect Seth Rollins?  The guy who betrayed the brotherhood of The Shield, hit me in the back with a steel chair, put Ambrose's head through a cinder block, took a shortcut to the top by hooking up with The Authority, stole my WrestleMania moment from me when he inserted himself into my WWE World Heavyweight Championship match, kept the championship for almost 300 days by having The Authority protect him, and when they finally got sick of him and he had to stand on his own, his leg gave out cause it couldn't support his ego.  Nah, I don't respect Seth Rollins.  But he clearly respects me cause all he can do is jump me from behind.  And I don't respect you either, Cole, asking such a stupid question.  Where's baby girl at?"

• Like 3

Does anyone have any info on wrestling's popularity in Chile?

I was watching some matches off the recent MysterioMania tour on Youtube and it looked like they drew well and the crowds were super hot, especially for Pentagon Jr. It looks like there are a number of indy promotions running there as well.

38 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Does anyone have any info on wrestling's popularity in Chile?

I was watching some matches off the recent MysterioMania tour on Youtube and it looked like they drew well and the crowds were super hot, especially for Pentagon Jr. It looks like there are a number of indy promotions running there as well.

There seems to have been a solid history of it there from the 30's/40's onwards - as with most of South America - waxing and waning in popularity. Like everywhere else, when Titanes en el Ring started showing locally that became the fashionable style and when that died wrestling on the continent mostly bottomed out. People tried copying that format but it never recaptured the public's imagination. They get WWE on tv like many places and that became the main influence for indy companies from the 90's onwards. I'd guess what popularity there is now is people watching WWE on telly, and the indy companies themselves steadily growing their crowds and improving in quality. Access to the internet seems to have broadened horizons a bit and the scene is as much influenced by Mexico and Japan as the USA now.

So, eh, I couldn't really say how popular it is nationally, but it's definitely growing, and the fans are passionate about it. There's loads of google translate mangled info to be had online. I wish Momo still posted here.

In short - boom and bust, currently on a decade or so long slow upward swing.

• Like 1