DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

The real winner of the Infinity War was Carrie Coon's agent, who somehow got her a Marvel payday for saying, like, 5 generic villainess lines that literally anyone could've delivered just as well.

Hats off to you, sir.

• Like 1

Oh weird, I don't remember seeing the thing about who would return at the end of the credi

27 minutes ago, Raziel said:
  Hide contents

I'm really hoping that the call to Carol is just introing how they're going to undo everything and not reversing everything up in one movie.  I thought Wanda was gonna be the deus ex machina,  but yeah.

I totally didn't see them going House of M on the MCU with a total Thanos victory.

"Thanos will return" after the credits was a great touch. 

Spoiler

They kinda have to undo in one movie. I can't see them dragging things out to Avengers 5, but I guess they could maybe do a smaller team up movie?

It's so weird. I thought for sure we'd see Thanos snapping his fingers and killing half the universe, but I never thought of how freaky that would be or how bummed out I'd get seeing that. This was "no more Mutants" times 1,000,000. Like you though, I thought Wanda would be the deus ex machina. Even up until she was dusted I thought we'd see Wanda freak the fuck out and reset reality. And we didn't.

Maybe that's what's really throwing me off. I didn't want a cop out in this movie and wanted it to have a sad ending and that's what I got. I almost wish they did a cop out now.

Whatever. I want to see Thanos vs Captain Marvel so bad. A real knock down, drag out fight. Then maybe the soul stone gets shattered, everyone dusted gets freed, and Quill starts wondering where Gamora is and she ain't coming back.

Eh, my guess is they've already tipped the ending, and it's a familiar one: 

Spoiler

Gamora takes over Adam Warlock's spot within the Soul Gem. She wigs Thanos out, Nebula nabs the Gauntlet at some stage, resets things to before - but in the movies, "before" means in disassembled in the middle of a torture chamber, rather than the comics version of a ball of charbroiled meat - which leaves it vulnerable again, and then the scrum ensues, a la the comics.

One detail that I'd forgotten about is that there's clearly some level of containment capable for the gems, and even as far back as Iron Man 2, there were hints of that (in Howard's notebook). I think, like most people, when Tony synthesized his new chest piece, we assumed the "new element" he made was vibranium. But it could be that's it the containment material instead, and Tony helps drum up a way to do that on a much larger scale.

I thought it was interesting/neat that

the snap basically wiped the board clean of all the name heroes except the original Avengers lineup (+Rhodey...and you presume Ant-Man is still out there, I guess).  That seems fitting.  If the next movie is going to be the last hurrah for some of those guys, it makes sense to let them have the spotlight.

• Like 2

Spoiler

I forgot that Captain Marvel is going to be an origin story set in the 90's, so no Carol vs. Thanos there.  I forgot the order, so with only the Ant-Man movie and Captain Marvel between now and Avengers 4 (which apparently was concurrently shot, sayeth wiki) and Ant-Man happens *before* Infinity War, so we don't know if Scott or Hope makes it through.  But seeing how the next two flicks up are Spider-man and Guardians 3, they pretty much need to undo this one.

I'm guessing Carol joins up with everyone left to get to where most of the deaths (at least the ones from the Gauntlet) are reversed, although I can't see them doing Guardians 3 without Gamorrah considering how her arc with Quill went.

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

I thought it was interesting/neat that

Hide contents

the snap basically wiped the board clean of all the name heroes except the original Avengers lineup (+Rhodey...and you presume Ant-Man is still out there, I guess).  That seems fitting.  If the next movie is going to be the last hurrah for some of those guys, it makes sense to let them have the spotlight.

So right now we have...

Spoiler

Iron Man, Thor, Cap, War Machine, Black Widow, Nebula, Rocket, Bruce (uh, are they going to separate Hulk from Bruce at some point?), Captain Marvel, Ant Man (likely), Wasp (likely), Hawkeye (likely, maybe as Ronin?), Kraglin (not as likely), Nakia (I didn't think she was dusted), and Okoye (I don't remember her being shown after everyone was dusted).

That's still a pretty good lineup. If Nakia is still alive, do you think she throws on the Black Panther armor? Or maybe M'Baku if he's still alive.

And it's weird to think that this might be the last hurrah for the original lineup. What sucks the most is that Thor has just now really come into his own and is maybe my favorite dude in these movies and he may be giving up the hammer/axe. 

Spoiler

I could see Gamora being permanently dead. Maybe before disappearing for good she says her goodbye to Quill? That seems like the super heartbreaking type of thing they'll go for. 

Spoiler

As a side note, everyone in Wakanda getting their asses kicked, only for the Bifrost to appear and Thor show up to single handedly turn the tide and start nuking people right off was pretty much comic perfect.

I'm pretty sure the whole Hulk/Banner thing is just Hulk being scared after taking that ass kicking and something will snap him back and he'll have some kind of redemption moment.

• Like 2

As to that last point...could be. I hoped there would be 

Spoiler

more Nat/Bruce interaction, but I suppose they were keeping up the notion that Nat's a pro and doesn't get her feelings tangled up with that. Not that I agree with it. But, I could very much see Thanos doing something particularly egregious to her in Avengers 4 that triggers a Worldbreaker Hulk moment.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Hmm, that makes me think that no one really snapped, pardon the pun. I thought for sure we'd get Wanda flying off the handle, but you could also say that about any of these heroes. No one lost their shit in a way to help. Quill freaked out and that fucked over the team trying to remove the gauntlet.

At least Quill and Gamora appeared to take the next step in their relationship. It was sort of getting annoying how sexless and free of romance these movies were getting. Gunn in his commentary didn't seem into the idea of anything more happening between Quill and Gamora. I guess that changed.

Stuff that got cut was apparently Thanos backstory on Titan. Unfortunate. Still disappointed by the lack of Mistress Death.

So let's talk about...

THE RED SKULL.  I've been waiting so long for them to get back around to him, I was beginning to think they never would. This just delighted me.  Great surprise that neatly tied up a loose end.

I wondered how they pulled that off without anyone getting tipped off about Hugo Weaving being on set....Then I saw the credits and realized they recast the part with a Weaving soundalike.

Then it suddenly made sense why the Red Skull had forgotten his German accent and just sounded like Elrond the whole time:  Because that's one of only 2 Hugo Weaving impressions anyone has ever bothered to learn.

• Like 7

The Walking Dead's Ross Marquand played Red Skull in the film.  It wasn't Hugo Weaving who trashed the character and movie a short time after the movie came out.

Red Skull making a cameo appearance got one of the biggest reactions at my press screening. No one expected to see that.

My Avengers: Infinity War review, longest thing I've typed on a tablet.

Really enjoyed Avengers: Infinity War. Praise be given to the Russo brothers going 3-0 and 4-0 for Markus/McFreely for it coming together. Thanos stood out the most to me as a character. A true big bad, a menace. Other characters: Spider-Man, Iron Man and Thor. The third act I liked the most. One of the most memorable in the MCU. 

19 films now from the MCU. Where does this place? I'd go as of right now #4-7. You have to judge the movie in its own right though my ranking may change depending on how Avengers 4 follows on this part, not a letdown. A second viewing may/may not change my opinion of the film/it's position in my MCU list. 

Spoilers:

Loki will be missed, he went out in fashion getting strangled by Thanos. 

Good seeing Iron Spider-Man with Superior Spider-Man arms from the back. 

Red Skull cameo!

Star-Lord lost his cool with Thanos' taunting over Gamora dying costing the team on Titan as they gained the upper hand. 

Thor getting his axe from the comics, Jarnbjorn but named Stormbreaker, nod to Beta Ray Bill's hammer. 

That end shot of Thanos looking at the sunset after finger snapping people from existence. Convenient he forgot the big four though he handed them their assesst

The stripped back black and white credits. 

The post-credits scene. Good: teasing the arrival of Captain Marvel with her logo/colours as Nick Fury sent out an alert for her. Bad: makes Nick Fury look stupid for not doing this before when times needed. 

The last text you see is Thanos will return. Nice touch that from the usual "Insert hero here" will return.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:
  Hide contents

Thor getting his axe from the comics, Jarnbjorn but named Stormbreaker, nod to Beta Ray Bill's hammer.

Spoiler

Eh that wasn't Jarnbjorn. Jarnbjorn is an axe and doesn't really tap into Thor's powers at all. That was a hammer/axe combo. It was Stormbreaker, just designed a bit differently.

18 minutes ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

Eh that wasn't Jarnbjorn. Jarnbjorn is an axe and doesn't really tap into Thor's powers at all. That was a hammer/axe combo. It was Stormbreaker, just designed a bit differently.

Ah.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

It was Ultimate Mjolnir, called Stormbreaker.

Loved this. Just such a different feel from any previous MCU movie while still having all their strengths on display.

Loved the ending, but I'll admit to cynicism. As Black Panther and Spider-man faded I became fully convinced of the impermanence because Disney ain't leaving that much cash on the table.

Still, kudos for ending the big climax like THAT.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Kudos to Marvel Studios, I didn't think they'd have the balls to have the big bad win and nuke half the universe in the process (although the wave taking out big money properties in Panther, Spidey, and all the Guardians pretty much means a reversal).

Although I'm sure this is getting answered in the Captain Marvel movie and next Avengers, but if Fury had a "in case of emergency, page A Super-Kree Cosmic powered Sledgehammer" pager (which the pager got a laugh out of the theater i was in, as we all forgot Captain Marvel is set in the 90's), why didn't he use it earlier (like with Ultron?)  

I'm guessing, even with Thor having Stormbreaker and Odin powers, Carol is higher tier that's going to bring them back even with Thanos?

I also suspect an appearance of Death.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Going to see it later. Don’t wanna Google. How many post-credits scenes? Is it mid credits or at the end? 

Thanks. 

1, at the end.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Not calling out anyone specifically here, but the thing that's been bothering me about the reviews for the movie is that everyone's saying stuff like "you know Marvel/Disney's not gonna kill off their biggest franchises." or "Why'd all of GotG disappear? We all know they've got a sequel scheduled" or "it took me out of the movie because i didn't believe Disney would kill of Spider-Man"

Like, part of that is spoilering yourself by following release dates and schedules. I hate when people complain about storylines not mattering when you're looking behind the scenes. People always reading the solicits for upcoming comic book issues, then bitching about the storyline being obvious. Of course it's obvious when you read previews for the next few issues!
This is kind of the same situation. Either watch the movie for the storyline they're telling, or risk 'taking you out of the movie' by reading about what's coming next. 

Also, "Infinity Gauntlet" is one of the best comic miniseries ever. That series will clearly explain what's going to happen to all of the disappeared characters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That argument doesn't fly when Disney/Marvel literally releases their schedule at D23 every year, and the next 2 years has been known and in entertainment news for 3 years now.  The only way you don't know what's coming next is if you're living under a rock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just about to post that.  You basically have to abandon the internet if you don't want to know what Marvel is doing next, because they make a big announcement of everything.  Which in turn is amplified about 100x when every click-hungry movie/comics/pop culture website on the web runs multiple headlines about it.