DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

I went to the OC vs. RSL match yesterday at the Citrus Bowl and what an amazing experience that was. 60,147 fans in attendance, about 300 less than last seasons opener against NYCFC, but it was still considered a success.

OC played horribly. The coach tested out a 4-3-3 and moved a ton of players around. Kaká didn't play due to an injury suffered the day before in training. Nocerino was presented and he got a huge ovation.

For some reason OC played like a bad FIFA player who spams lobs and crosses into the box hoping for a header. They really showed they rely way to much on Kaká as a playmaker.

Anyway, I was heading out at the 89th minute since OC was down 2-0 to RSL... When I start walking down the steps and heading out I hear the crowd erupt and everyones going bonkers because Larin had scored at the 94th minute of extra time finally after blowing about 7-8 chances during the game. My girlfriend tells me we should stay and I say nah as that was just one goal. So we just stopped to watch the last play on the concession stand TV on the wall and all of sudden the crowd erupted again and seconds later on the TV delay they show Winter who came in as a second time substitution had scored another goal at the very last minute of extra time and that was insane. I mean goosebumps insane. I ran back to the guardrail just to celebrate. Amazing experience despite the poor performance.

I love this club no matter how bad they play sometimes. 

Then you should stay until the end.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

I usually do, however I also didn't want to get stuck in the insane Downtown traffic for hours and even then I was still stuck in a Downtown parking lot for over about an hour.

It's worth it for the 1 in a hundred comebacks like Orlando had today. That Whitecaps game years ago when they came back incredibly late after it looked like it was over is still my favourite live sporting memory. I don't even give a shit about the Caps but it was still such a beautiful moment that I'll hopefully never forget.

Guest Edwin

Didn't the Whitecaps also beat OC last season in Orlando with a last minute header?

Also I should've known better, last season the same thing happened. OC was down 1-0 in the season opener to NYCFC and then Kaká got a free kick that ricocheted off the wall and got into the goal in extra time too.

God damn, I just watched the highlights of that match and it looked like the first Orlando goal was offside. The RSL left back may have played him on but it didn't look like it from the two shots of it I saw. Have you watched it again?

Also, yeah. Last minute free kick -> flick on header all the way back at the start of last season.

Guest Edwin

Yeah, I've re-watched it, Larin was offside slightly. There was another previous disallowed goal from Larin in the first time too.

Watched the MLS games highlights and there was a ton of goals including some more last minutes goals and a nice bicycle kick goal from Higuaín against Portland Timbers.

Guest Edwin

Ever wonder what it would be like to watch Leo Messi owning defenders from close up? Here ya go:

Unbelievable. Definitely the best player in the world.

Euroleague today. Dortmund vs Tottenham is a great matchup. So are the two national matchups (Liverpool vs ManU, Bilbao vs Valencia), but I´m really not that big a fan of those kind of matchups in international competition.

PSG once again edging Chelsea out of CL.It´s kind of funny how often they have faced off over the last few years.

Sporting is a nice unexpected team in the Quarters. Wolfsburg and Real were probably expected to be there, given their opponents.

I think going for the league is the right move. Even if you don't win, as long as you finish top 3, you're dancing.

UEFA changed their rules, so now 5 teams can qualify for the CL in certain countries (England, Spain, Germany, England).

So they can finish 4th and they don't have to worry about it being taken away from them like in the year that Chelsea finished 6th, but won the CL.

So they are pretty safe now that Chelsea lost yesterday. Even if Utd/Liverpool win the UL.

The thing is our next league game is Aston Villa and a group of schoolchildren armed with bees could probably beat Villa, so this seems excessive.

What about the Brentford Bees?

True. Plus English teams can always steamroll teams at home. Although under normal circumstances, a strong counterattacking side like Dortmund should be able to get an away goal.

Liverpool up 1-0 at halftime. Leverkusen pretty much getting blown out of the water at Villareal.

McLaren out at Newcastle, and he's been replaced by Rafa Benitez. Not sure why Rafa wants to manage in the Championship, but I love the upgrade. Maybe he can motivate the numpties in the dressing room to try to win some games.

He has an out clause should they go down. Sunderland looks like the only side they could catch and how sweet would that be? He's no great motivator but a pretty brilliant tactician. They have some good pieces for him to work with but it's mighty late.