DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Jurgen has an excellent chance to be the first American coach since 1986 to fail to qualify for the world cup. But he's going to show us how to be a real soccer power!!! 

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Youd think anyone could coach a squad of German B-teamers to win concacaf. 

Or at least not get embarrassed by fucking Guatemala. #JurgenOut

The announcers talking like 2018 is a given have me wanting to throw something through my television. This is the new low point for modern American soccer. But at least we beat St Vincents so we do have a victory over a CONCACAF team in a non friendly!

Worst case scenario for Canada tonight, with Honduras leading on the road, and Mexico having more goals than Canada has shots on target.

When I become the overlord of Canada Soccer, and home game in March against a Latin American side will be played somewhere COLD. Why give away the one home field advantage we have?

• Like 1

GER-ENG 2-3

England came back from a two goal deficit. I have learnt not to take friendlies too seriously, but the combination of a less than convincing q-campaign and the possibility of three losses in a row - we're playing Italy on Tuesday - is a little worrying. Team looks sluggish and can't keep shutouts. England has had a ton of potential in WC 2014. It'll be interesting to see how they will perform.

Guest Edwin
22 hours ago, sabremike said:

Or at least not get embarrassed by fucking Guatemala. #JurgenOut

But he coached them to beat the Dutch and the Germans in back to back games.

1 hour ago, grizzlyedwin said:

But he coached them to beat the Dutch and the Germans in back to back games.

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic because those games to the Dutch and Germans were basically a scrimmage and completely meaningless. JK has lost 4 meaningful games to CONCACAF competition in the past 9 months (and 3 of them were on home soil). He is worse than Steve Sampson at this point and that's the gold standard of incompetence.

I always had the impression, Klinsmann serves best as a short term solution. He seems to have well thought out solutions and concepts, but appears way less tactically sound than a manager should be. I was amazed to see him stay after the Gold Cup non-medaling. Especially since I considered him an "event coach", whose strength is motivating squads for tournaments.

GER - ITA 4-1

This is a result I only ever expected to see on Playstation or sth with me having set the difficulty to semi-pro, maybe normal depending on the game and my intensity of playing. Much like the England game, it's hard to tell what this means. For now it's nice win, much needed for self-esteem. Italy didn't look too well, but they haven't in the past and we failed to beat them for an eternity, so I'll take it. How 4-footer Goetze could score a header against Italian CBs is beyond me.

The papers today were all full of Gotze to Anfield rumours. Except the Manchester Evening News, which picked up on Romelu Lukaku saying he wanted to play in the Champion's League next year and said United were definitely interested in him.

Just United, mind. Even though he was clearly saying that to get a move to one of the big German (or Spanish) teams, not because he really loves being benched, loaned and sold by Mourinho.

And if you wanted to play in the Champion's League, it makes a bit more sense to sign for a team that's actually going to qualify for it. Except Leicester and Spurs don't need another power forward, and Arsene Wenger would never intentionally sign a player who weighed more than 165 lbs. He only signs 5'6" (or shorter) attacking midfielders who can play on the wing or slot in behind the main striker. It never occurs to him that to do that, you actually need a main striker for them to slot in behind.

Someone tell him it's pronounced Ji-roo, not Gu-Rude. And his first name is Olivier, not Oliver.

Also, he's rubbish. He's a skinny Emile Heskey.

Rumours that Gary Neville is OUT at Valencia swirling today...

Newcastle's backup keeper, Rob Elliot, is out for the season (and Euro 2016) after suffering a knee injury during an international friendly. Newcastle is down to two keepers, with one total Premier League game between them. This means I am sooooo very close to being signed as a Newcastle keeper for the rest of the season. I already have a Newcastle keeper jersey, so they can save on that (even if it has the Northern Rock logo on it).