DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Well, if Diaz thinks he has no chance of winning, or even of looking impressive in losing, that's a valid reason to turn the fight down.

The upside far outweighs the downside of losing. Crazy to turn that fight down. You win that fight and it's a career changer. You lose and you really haven't lost anything. Which is why if I was McGregor I'd absolutely have no interest in it. He takes a gigantic hit if he loses but gains little if he wins. It's not a huge deal if he loses to the champ.

In addition, if you don't want the fight with McGregor (or anyone under UFC employ who you could feasibly fight), just simply don't call him out especially in that fashion when you know fans are going to go batshit. If you go out all guns blazing, especially when crazy shit happens every month, you're in no position to turn the fight down unless ( a ) you have an injury or ( b ) you're not going to pass a random drug test or pre fight test. Then, it's understandable. However, he's in the gym working.  He can hit a walk off grand slam in two weeks time and completely turn around the narrative on his career. How many people are in the position to do that right now?

So I mean...why the fuck not?

If we need to talk about fighters being scared especially in relation to UFC 196:

According to Greg Savage on today's Cheap Seats, the UFC didn't want to put Shevchenko up against Nunes this early in her career. However, no one wanted to step up and fight Amanda Nunes. Valentina was the only one willing to take the bout.

So if it's anyone that's shook, it's folks trying to not fight Amanda Nunes.

Side note: I also like that Breen totally deflected Savage's Bryan Caraway joke when they brought Nina Ansaroff. This dude is so PC it's hilarious.

Not sure why everyone is scared of Amanda Nunes in her division.  She's lost four times.  Cat Zingano beat her.

They shouldn't run the McGregor fight at UFC 196.  If McGregor loses, they can't realistically book him to fight the champion next.  Diaz should get the shot then if they run that fight and he beats McGregor.

Also how long can they realistically put the featherweight division on hold for a weight that McGregor probably even can't make anymore?

Not sure why everyone is scared of Amanda Nunes in her division.  She's lost four times.  Cat Zingano beat her.

They shouldn't run the McGregor fight at UFC 196.  If McGregor loses, they can't realistically book him to fight the champion next.  Diaz should get the shot then if they run that fight and he beats McGregor.

Also how long can they realistically put the featherweight division on hold for a weight that McGregor probably even can't make anymore?

On the Nunes tip, she was beating the shit out of Zingano before she gassed. Then, she returned and whooped McMann, who a lot of people thought would soundly beat her. Keep in mind, everyone in that division ain't Holm, Tate, and Rousey. Outside of that trio, it's basically a free-for-all. There wasn't too many fights booked for women's  bantamweight let alone amazing performances from those fights over the past several months. Right now, Amanda Nunes is that chick, I guess.

On the UFC 196 tip, McGregor-Diaz has been made official at welterweight.

In terms of what the UFC does next, all that falls on what happens on 3/5. If Conor is healthy enough to fight on UFC 200, I doubt they give a shit about the result. Keep in mind, we're coming off a week where two people who were the combined age of 101 fought in a mainstream MMA bout. You can...pretty much do anything now as long as people want to see it.

On the Nunes tip, she was beating the shit out of Zingano before she gassed. Then, she returned and whooped McMann, who a lot of people thought would soundly beat her. Keep in mind, everyone in that division ain't Holm, Tate, and Rousey. Outside of that trio, it's basically a free-for-all. There wasn't too many fights booked for women's  bantamweight let alone amazing performances from those fights over the past several months. Right now, Amanda Nunes is that chick, I guess.

In terms of what the UFC does next, all that falls on what happens on 3/5. If Conor is healthy enough to fight on UFC 200, I doubt they give a shit about the result. Keep in mind, we're coming off a week where two people who were the combined age of 101 fought in a mainstream MMA bout. You can...pretty much do anything now as long as people want to see it.

Sarah D'Alelio beat Nunes too by decision in Invicta in 2013.

Also just because Bellator MMA pulled that garbage doesn't mean UFC should.  But are you really going to deny Nate Diaz some type of title fight coming off a win here?  

Sarah D'Alelio beat Nunes too by decision in Invicta in 2013.

We're in 2016 and she's with ATT now instead of whoever she was with back then (I think that was when she was still with MMA Masters). That has basically little to no value now.

Also just because Bellator MMA pulled that garbage doesn't mean UFC should.  But are you really going to deny Nate Diaz some type of title fight coming off a win here?  

Bellator is using fighters who don't belong in a MMA cage and could serious result in a casualty or serious life altering injury no one wants to see. UFC basically has a whole chess board of elite fighters to play with. It's an entirely different argument.

If they didn't play by their own rules, you would not get a Chad Mendes vs. Conor McGregor, a Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor, or a female fight headlining a major PPV when the male headliners fall off.

On the UFC 196 tip, McGregor-Diaz has been made official at welterweight.

That is insane. So the UFC FW champion is fighting a ranked WW dude at WW. McGregor's got some grade A balls and holy crap did he just ever back up any cockiness/trash-talk he's ever done. At 170, Nate would have absolutely no reason to turn this fight down cause, as has been pointed out multiple times, he's got nothing to lose. This is craziness...just...craziness. Thank you Conor!

McGregor's fan base are particularly loyal so factor in they'd have booked flights/hotels, etc, it'd have been disappointing for them had he pulled out and waited to fight Dos Anjos at a different time.

I really like the Diaz fight and we'll be straight into the shit-talking here, but WW?!!?! In his recent photos he looks mighty SWOLL but hell, that's a heck of a jump up.

Well, if Diaz thinks he has no chance of winning, or even of looking impressive in losing, that's a valid reason to turn the fight down.

So apparently, I was the only one who watched the December Fox show. This is good to know because then it won't make these responses seem extremely preposterous.

How many times do two boxers (who are 95% never going to fight each other) call one another out and accuse the other of ducking them? 

So apparently, I was the only one who watched the December Fox show. This is good to know because then it won't make these responses seem extremely preposterous.

How many times do two boxers (who are 95% never going to fight each other) call one another out and accuse the other of ducking them?

How many boxers are Nate Diaz?

The thing is...95% of boxers aren't in house, where a vast majority of fights that get made happen. The UFC is way more insulated from that. Fights might fall a part a rate similar to boxing from a negotiating standpoint, but they don't get made as fast. A year ago, who even thought McGregor vs. any champion above 145 was possible? Now, McGregor vs. friggin Robbie Lawler is a possibility. You might not get superfight after superfight, but the tide doesn't shift as dramatically in boxing in terms of matchmaking. In boxing, you still have people holding belts hostage in their home country, whether it's because no one has any intentions to bring them in (think Uchiyama at 130) or it's what their promoter wants.

The Diaz brothers talk a lot of shit and back a bit of it up. It's what they do.

For argument's sake, try this one: Thinking you can beat/ do well in losing against a guy when you're (as close as you can get to) 100% healthy and ready, is completely different to thinking you can beat him on ten day's notice. Especially for a guy who relies on his cardio like Diaz does.

I mean, it's academic now anyway, he took the fight in the end. Can we just move on to predicting how the fight might go?