DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Jones is a millionaire.  How fucking hard is it to get a driver OR get your fucking license, registration and insurance sorted?  How hard is it to make sure you have a valid driver's license when you drive?

Going to the DMV sucks but you only have to do it once every few years.  It's not hard to do.  Is he not paying for his car insurance?  They send me a new insurance card for my vehicle every six months.  

To me these are just basic things to do in life that are not hard to do, not sure how Jones continues to summarily ignore them.

According to his people, he has a valid license and insurance. Just didn't have it on him at the time, which is why it's not a probation violation. It's a minor infraction.

Meltzer and Alvarez, on the Daniel Bryan breaking news audio, made it sound like he got caught with two girls that ain't his girl again. Gonna say that's a bit of an overreaction.

Alvarez cleared that up a bit on WOL.  Minor or not, in his situation, he should probably just have the fucking documents in his car.

• Like 1

Jones is a millionaire.  How fucking hard is it to get a driver OR get your fucking license, registration and insurance sorted?  How hard is it to make sure you have a valid driver's license when you drive?

Going to the DMV sucks but you only have to do it once every few years.  It's not hard to do.  Is he not paying for his car insurance?  They send me a new insurance card for my vehicle every six months.  

To me these are just basic things to do in life that are not hard to do, not sure how Jones continues to summarily ignore them.

According to his people, he has a valid license and insurance. Just didn't have it on him at the time, which is why it's not a probation violation. It's a minor infraction.

Meltzer and Alvarez, on the Daniel Bryan breaking news audio, made it sound like he got caught with two girls that ain't his girl again. Gonna say that's a bit of an overreaction.

Alvarez cleared that up a bit on WOL.  Minor or not, in his situation, he should probably just have the fucking documents in his car.

Cleared what up? They didn't have information when they made that update. Meltzer was acting like he might be arrested. They went a little overboard. It happens.

Cleared what up? They didn't have information when they made that update. Meltzer was acting like he might be arrested. They went a little overboard. It happens.

He cleared up the idea that Jones didn't have a valid license or reg card., just didn't have them on him. Basically, exactly what you posted. You must both have the same sources. And I wrote WOL not WOR Breaking Update.

Jones is a millionaire. How fucking hard is it to get a driver OR get your fucking license, registration and insurance sorted? How hard is it to make sure you have a valid driver's license when you drive?

Going to the DMV sucks but you only have to do it once every few years. It's not hard to do. Is he not paying for his car insurance? They send me a new insurance card for my vehicle every six months.

Alvarez cleared that up a bit on WOL. Minor or not, in his situation, he should probably just have the fucking documents in his car.

Cleared what up? They didn't have information when they made that update. Meltzer was acting like he might be arrested. They went a little overboard. It happens.

He cleared up the idea that Jones didn't have a valid license or reg card., just didn't have them on him. Basically, exactly what you posted. You must both have the same sources. And I wrote WOL not WOR Breaking Update.

Yeah, I know because I don't really listen to the Live shows usually. But again, that's not really clearing anything up. That info is already out now. It's not like we're looking towards Bryan Alvarez to give us critical MMA news. That's walking it back like they probably were going to do anyway on the Raw recap show. Then, Meltzer will go on another tangent about Jon Jones like he was planning to do anyways.

Anyway, that's why I love stuff like this. Meltzer going off on Jon Jones for rational and irrational reasons is my favorite thing that he does MMA related besides the "I'm not saying this guy is on roids, but this guy is clearly on roids" thing every card. It never fails.

• Like 1

Jon Jones will be getting three days community service and probably a fine. The world has truly ended.

Rafael Natal vs. Robert Whittaker has been made for UFC 197. BJ Penn's return has also been moved to that card.

It's not rocket science to just have a copy of this stuff in your car in the event you do forget OR lose your wallet. 

There is a bad, hacky 80s female comedian joke about men forgetting their car keys in their somewhere. Once I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Looking forward to Jon Jones fighting again. We can all LOL after Dana straps the belt on him again. So why is it a problem for people to call him out for acting like a dumbass?

Because nothing excites me more than nitpicking people that nitpick. It's a vicious cycle.

I also love when non-stories are the top story on slow days for MMA news.

Looking forward to Jon Jones fighting again. We can all LOL after Dana straps the belt on him again. So why is it a problem for people to call him out for acting like a dumbass?

Because nothing excites me more than nitpicking people that nitpick. It's a vicious cycle.

Fair enough. You could probably contribute to ending the cycle by not fighting every post about it. More interested in Natal vs. Whitaker anyway.

Fair enough. You could probably contribute to ending the cycle by not fighting every post about it. More interested in Natal vs. Whitaker anyway.

Apparently not because there wasn't any response on that after I posted it.

Anyway, someone tried to chart out his sobriety. That's like softball lob, batting practice for me.

I think Whittaker is going to polish him off. Sapo has been able to get UFC wins because the middle of the pack at 185 is very pedestrian. That and Uriah Hall can be his own worst enemy at times. Whittaker is really the first guy he has faced who can actually put together a solid gameplan and has athletic skill enough to make him look silly. If Sapo got flashed KO'd in under 90 seconds, it wouldn't really surprise me because that's something he has always been susceptible to.

Looks like Khabib has left AKA to train in Bahrain (funded by the fifth son of the King of Bahrain) with his father. Although, it sounds like Javier Mendez may corner him in the future or is leaving the door open to corner him. This sounds....yeah. Good luck to him though.

What happened to that fight team in Abu Dhabi in the late 90s? The Prince was recruiting all sorts of elite ground fighting guys to try and build a stable of unstoppable submission fighters (at a time when there was bugger all money in the sport), and then they stopped holding the ADCC in Abu Dhabi itself and it all went a bit quiet.

What happened to that fight team in Abu Dhabi in the late 90s? The Prince was recruiting all sorts of elite ground fighting guys to try and build a stable of unstoppable submission fighters (at a time when there was bugger all money in the sport), and then they stopped holding the ADCC in Abu Dhabi itself and it all went a bit quiet.

That also coincided with random MMA shows (most notably that show in Kuwait) in the Middle East.

Probably just a lack of interest or cyclical passion for it. It doesn't help that the last two or three tournaments have been anything but media friendly. With the way combat sports has changed and how much weight is put towards ADCC in terms of credibility, you're not going to see major media outlets pay to cover one tournament. Even if it includes former or current MMA stars. Major MMA website traffic is heavily skewed towards stars moreso now than ever. That and any type of major crossover whether it be with pro wrestling, boxing, stick and ball sports, or pop culture in general. With the poor job that ADCC and by extension Metamoris has done on the PR end, submission grappling is now on its own island along with kickboxing and amateur wrestling.

Although there is still interest in the UAE as far submission grappling (Evolve MMA and just random lovely gyms with no one good occupying them other than their Brazilian expat instructors), the major interest has kinda traveled to MMA. You're still getting these popup shows in Abu Dhabi with mid level heavyweights and light heavyweights fighting as heavyweights in tournaments for briefcases full of money and real gold belts. It's just that it's no longer 2001 so no one really gives a shit anymore. Back when the UFC was running every 3 or 4 months and PRIDE like every one and a half to two months, people were able devote time for non UFC/PRIDE shows (and grappling events which helped the advent of ADCC). This ain't the case now when the UFC is running an insane amount of shows and able to put legitimate top fighters on a card like every two to three weeks. You're shit out of luck in terms of coverage. All those shows are getting relegated to weekly UFC veteran reports and Beyond the Octagon articles. So yeah, it's going to be quiet on that front.

I wondered that too since he's said for awhile that he wants to fight at 200. Hopefully there's no complications from the surgery. I just want to see the guy fight and see what he has to offer. 

Luckily, the surgery only will set him back 4-6 weeks. Hmmmmmmmmmm, wonder if CM Punk did this to avoid UFC 199?

I'm not sure how PPV points figure into his contract (that will probably come out in the near future), but he is going to be perhaps no further than third from the top on a PPV (even though it's 99% certain he is fighting on the PPV portion). So my guess would be that the buyrate #s would only drastically affect the main and co-main participants. If he didn't want to fight at UFC 199, Dana would make it to where he could fight on 200. Most likely, they would have worked that out beforehand before Dana was adamant that he was fighting at UFC 199.