DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Carlos Condit met with the UFC. For him, it's title shot or retire.

Nate Diaz wants to fight Eddie Alvarez.

Weidman is going to start doing work with Mark Henry (Frankie Edgar and Barboza's striking coach, not THAT Mark Henry), but he is going to stay at LAW MMA.

Diaz vs. Alvarez would be great.

Alvarez is just going to take Diaz down, and Diaz will whine about it. They should've booked that Diaz/Pettis fight.

Has Alvarez even had a great fight or performance in the UFC yet?

They want to Pettis to get a win. If he was only on a one fight losing streak, the Diaz fight would be make sense if they were no other options. You can go in 20 different directions right now, whether you do Diaz/Pettis or not.

If Nate beats Eddie, then you can do that fight if Pettis beats Barboza. Then whoever wins that challenges for the belt. Right now, you got the Ferguson/Khabib winner with dibs on whoever the LW champion is two weeks from now. That or an interim LW title fight.

Plus, you got options in case someone has to pull out. You can plug in Diaz or Alvarez (or a couple other people) and still have a five star lightweight matchup.

My problem with Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Pettis is that both men are basically counter-strikers.  They like to take a little bit of time and wait for their opponent to come in with something and then settle into a rhythm.  They both have similar flaws.  I think it will be a case of both guys cancelling each other out and being hesitant to engage and take risks.  

Barboza only seems to perform well when his opponent lets him fight at striking distance and doesn't push forward with their attack.  On that note, the game plan to beat Barboza is pretty simple and has happened numerous times.  But it's not a style or game plan Pettis typically uses.

My problem with Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Pettis is that both men are basically counter-strikers.  They like to take a little bit of time and wait for their opponent to come in with something and then settle into a rhythm.  They both have similar flaws.  I think it will be a case of both guys cancelling each other out and being hesitant to engage and take risks.  

Barboza only seems to perform well when his opponent lets him fight at striking distance and doesn't push forward with their attack.  On that note, the game plan to beat Barboza is pretty simple and has happened numerous times.  But it's not a style or game plan Pettis typically uses.

Looking at the circumstances, Pettis can ill afford to do the snake charming routine. That's what cost him the last fight. Technically, I think Pettis is a better striker and can capitalize on the fact that Barboza tends to not account for strikes as he gets within arm's distance. If you're Mark Henry or anybody that works with Barboza in terms of striking, you have to get nervous everytime he gets close to his opponent. It's rare that he chooses to fight as patiently as he did against Paul Felder. He chose not to get into a fire fight with Felder and backed off. Not that Felder's power is overrated, but Pettis when he chooses to actually fight is pretty damn accurate. If he lands the right strike, Barboza is done for. If he goes to the body, then the wheels are going to come off fast.

• Like 1

Alvarez is just going to take Diaz down, and Diaz will whine about it.  They should've booked that Diaz/Pettis fight.

Agree on both accounts. Nate's going to get taken down and going to get pinned down the entire fight and he's going to flip Eddie off after the first round and mock he threw a punch after the bell. Same thing for the next round. After the bell he'll hug it out with Eddie and in the post fight press conference he'll complain and continue calling fighters higher ranked than him out afterwards.

Story of his career when he's fought guys who don't play to his strengths.

Weidman is going to start doing work with Mark Henry (Frankie Edgar and Barboza's striking coach, not THAT Mark Henry), but he is going to stay at LAW MMA.

This makes sense as Mark Henry works with Ricardo Almeida so it's keeping it in the Renzo Gracie Fight Team family as Ricardo came up at Renzo's with Matt Serra. 

This makes sense as Mark Henry works with Ricardo Almeida so it's keeping it in the Renzo Gracie Fight Team family as Ricardo came up at Renzo's with Matt Serra. 

Apparently, Weidman worked with Henry before the Rockhold fight a little bit. Now, he plans on working with him more.

BJ Penn's return has been postponed due to an investigation into sexual abuse allegations made by the girlfriend of Pedro Carrasco, who use to work for his website.

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-BJ-Penn-021816?id=

It appears that the UFC Fight Night from London nxt week is only airing on Fight Pass in the UK. Which might be a good way to force people to actually buy tickets... or a good way to annoy the fans who want to see the show without having to go down South, or pay for Fight Pass.

Having said that, they do have a habit of sorting these deals out late on, so it could still be on Channel 5 or one of the ITVs. Or BT Sport, like all the other shows.

It appears that the UFC Fight Night from London nxt week is only airing on Fight Pass in the UK. Which might be a good way to force people to actually buy tickets... or a good way to annoy the fans who want to see the show without having to go down South, or pay for Fight Pass.

Having said that, they do have a habit of sorting these deals out late on, so it could still be on Channel 5 or one of the ITVs. Or BT Sport, like all the other shows.

Dude, that show sold out in less than half an hour back in December. So yeah, that ticket thing ain't an option.

Even though I live stateside, I can say that based on what I've been hearing about how they want expand that platform, what are Fight Pass exclusive shows here in the US might be soon Fight Pass exclusive shows for everyone.

What made UK fans think they were getting different treatment? I think the Ufc from day 1 said it would be an exclusive fight pass event. Unless I missed something

Different countries have different TV deals. Australia still gets pretty much everything on TV. Even when it's a Fight Pass event.

Most of the Fight Pass cards were shown on TV over here (Jedzrejzcyk vs Penne was the first one that wasn't) . Most of the UK shows were shown on free TV over here (a few were on BT Sport like regular UFC tvs and PPVs are).

The Rotterdam main event will be Overeem vs. Arlovski. Both will train at Jackson/Wink for the fight, but at different times and with coaches. Jackson will corner Arlovski.

Apparently, Cain was the original choice for Overeem's opponent. However, the date for the card might have been pushing it. So with those options not available, does Cain vs. the Hunt/Mir winner or Roy Nelson make sense for UFC 199?

Fuck. So close to the event too. Will UFC be looking for a replacement? If not, at least the show already had a great co-main event in Holly Holm vs. Miesha Tate for the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship which can be made THE main event.

Fuck. So close to the event too. Will UFC be looking for a replacement? If not, at least the show already had a great co-main event in Holly Holm vs. Miesha Tate for the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship which can be made THE main event.

Obviously Cerrone is the big name right now. Frankie is a no-go. He could give Nate Diaz a beating and I'd be OK with that.