DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

Was half expecting "Wake me up inside" by Evanessence to start playing during that Ben Hur trailer. Yeesh.

When I posted that they were planning on doing this movie in the older thread, someone came to the defense of this. Why? I have no idea. Does this person still want to defend this? I mean Morgan Freeman looks like he's doing an ode to Drexl Spivey with a wet mop on his head.

There was demand for a sequel to this film!?

*I silently weep bitter tears while waiting for the Dredd 2 film that will never happen*

Maybe if Dredd has made $332 million worldwide we would be having a different conversation

Dredd is like Blade Runner, man.

People won't get how good it was until, like, 10 years from now.

And we have 25 different versions of it, including the 2nd assistant producers' special DVD version cut with the 4th alternative ending. 

Which cost more Demille's chariot race with practical sets or the cg wonderland of this new Ben-Hur race?

I'm guessing the latter, since DeMille never made a Ben-Hur movie. (Of which this new one is at least the SIXTH version, Lew Wallace's novel was first adapted as a film all the way back in 1907.)

And upon looking it up, I was surprised to find that Now You See Me actually managed to gross over three hundred and fifty million bucks in worldwide ticket sales, making the sequel's existence much more explicable. To put it in perspective, that's over twice as much as Olympus Has Fallen drew; so if London Has Fallen somehow makes financial sense, then I guess Now U C Me Too makes that much more sense.

On the bright side: Morgan Freeman is making money and still in work.

On a sadder note, however, no one is bothering to send him good scripts.

I sorta feel like finding and watching that clip of Red's parole hearing in The Shawshank Redemption just to remind myself of how good he can be when given the chance. 

To be fair, the pedigree of the people involved with the new Ben-Hur is better than average. It's directed by Timur Bekmambetov, the guy who made a concept as silly as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter into something that was shockingly watchable (and he also did those awesome Russian Night Watch movies). The script is cowritten by the guy who wrote 12 Years a Slave. Lead actor Jack Huston is a damn fine performer, he was the traumatized veteran with half his face missing in Boardwalk Empire; and the rest of the cast is, well, WAY more diverse and colorful than you usually get in most of these modern swords-and-sandals epics. (And really, isn't it just goddamned amazing that sword-and-sandal action epics are now A Thing again?)

On the technical side, it's a Who's Who of fine people: they've got the editor of Memento, the music composer of Snowpiercer, the cinematographer of Face/Off, the second unit director of Iron Man, the sound designer of Birdman, the production designer of American Beauty, the special effects supervisor of Mad Max: Fury Road, and the stunt coordinator of Captain America. That's a hell of a lot of talent, way too much for us to write the movie off as inevitably being doomed to failure.

...of course, all those people have also all made BAD movies, and the new Ben-Hur might still suck the balls of Christ himself. Ya rolls the dice and ya takes yer chances. But let's not judge the whole thing based simply on a shitty trailer, let's wait for the finished movie or at the very least an RT freshness score.

I remember sitting down to watch See No Evil 2 and thinking: OK, at the very least, this isn't going to be a disaster because you've got:

The Soska Sisters, who directed American Mary, a truly fantastic modern horror movie, in charge of things. 

Katharine Isabelle, one of the most under-rated actresses around.

Danielle Harris and Michael Eklund, who are also great.

And more money and good crew workers than most B horrors tend to have,

Then I saw it.  

I dunno if Jack Huston is a great leading man. He was awesome on Boardwalk Empire. However, a few years ago, this guy was doing Guinness Black commercials with an American accent. Why can't he just be a character actor and be great at that instead of people putting him in lead roles destined the fail because of his last name?

Also, Jingus, you're making it sound like the DP hasn't worked since Face/Off. Like he was on the couch for 20 years, saw a text from Paramount, and was like, "Shit, I guess it's that time."

That post reminds me of the bit Bruce Campbell used to do where he listed off a particular film's crew's lengthy list of bonafides, only to conclude with "And together, they made CONGO."

Considering that Congo was fucking AWESOME, what's your point? (C'mon, Bruce, don't act like it's not FAR better than the majority of films you've starred in.)

Then I saw it.

And while I'd call it a bad movie, I still think it was probably the best WWE Film that I've seen. (I mean the ones they make in-house, not the ones they just distribute and slap the label on.)

Also, Jingus, you're making it sound like the DP hasn't worked since Face/Off. Like he was on the couch for 20 years, saw a text from Paramount, and was like, "Shit, I guess it's that time."

Of course he's done a buncha other stuff, he did the Bourne trilogy. (I specifically avoided that one because of how much people complain about its shaky camerawork, despite the fact that I personally didn't mind it and that such a stylistic choice would almost certainly be made by the director rather than the DP.) I just named Face/Off because it was my favorite on a visual level of all the movies he's done. I technically coulda named Anchorman 2 or Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey cuz he shot those too.

Had I known it was Oliver Wood, I would have gone with the Bourne movies or Safe House. At first, I thought it was a Darius Khondji or someone else who hasn't done a mainstream action/thriller movie in awhile.

I was actually trying to forget his most recent work, considering one of 'em was Sabotage and I fucking hated that one. But then I think "well, he is the guy who designed that brilliant shot in The Other Guys where The Rock and Sam Jackson dive off the rooftop in slow-motion" and then I am at blissful peace again.

• Like 1

A prequel to a movie which was entirely set around the concept that the cop and the crook had never met each other before? So, it's basically gonna be two different movies about two unrelated stories that just happen to be arbitrarily cramped together into the same feature?