DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Let me preface by pointing out that last Friday's number included the 27.7 million from the Thursday preview screenings.

How much did BvS drop Friday to Friday? Oh, just EIGHTY-ONE FUCKING PERCENT. Not counting those previews, it's still a 71.5% drop. Rival studio projections have it around $50 million for the weekend, a massive 70% drop.

Things might be about to get really interesting concerning Justice League.

I was excited at first, because I don't care for that character.  But the way they handled it at the end made it clear that it's not permanent.

Spoiler

She seemed like she was getting better, then she told Ollie a secret off-camera, then Ollie is giving all these "concerned" faces rather than sadness -- showing him reacting to others' sorrow. 

I imagine it's some sort of "kill Laurel Lance so the Black Canary can live" silliness.  Hopefully it makes more sense than that.

Spoiler

Yeah, that totally came off like it's a fakeout, just to get Dhark off her trail.

Why the hell would you have reassembled the idol though and not given parts to Vixen and Barry to keep it seperated?

They kind of wrote themselves into a corner this season with how powerful Dhark is and that he's damn near impossible to take down.

Put me on the "not buying it" side because to borrow from the episode, "It was too easy." Plus what's up with...

An ADA being revealed to be a masked vigilante not causing a shit storm? Maybe it'll come next episode but you'd think the doctors would be reacting to that or have at least called the police.

Can't say I'm surprised that the most enjoyable episode lately for me is the one with the least Felicity.

Regarding blitzkrieg's comment:

Spoiler

Do the doctors know that Laurel was stabbed while Black Canarying?  Whoever brought her in could say she was stabbed by anybody.  And really, given that ADA Lance was involved with Darkh's case, it makes perfect sense that he'd have gotten her stabbed.  She was just at the jail in her ADA role earlier that day (or thereabouts), so it's easy to cover up that she was the Canary.  That said, if Darkh didn't already know Laurel is the Canary, he should be able to put it together now.

21 minutes ago, tigertooth said:

Regarding blitzkrieg's comment:

Hide contents

Do the doctors know that Laurel was stabbed while Black Canarying?  Whoever brought her in could say she was stabbed by anybody.  And really, given that ADA Lance was involved with Darkh's case, it makes perfect sense that he'd have gotten her stabbed.  She was just at the jail in her ADA role earlier that day (or thereabouts), so it's easy to cover up that she was the Canary.  That said, if Darkh didn't already know Laurel is the Canary, he should be able to put it together now.

Oliver as the Arrow brought her to the hospital in full costume, sometime between the nurse(assuming) called for the crash cart and her exiting surgery they changed her out of costume. Now they could do the "the hospital was so thankful for the work she's been doing that they kept it under wraps" which they might get to in the next episode. Still you would think by now Oliver would have gotten himself a doctor/nurse that he could trust. It took Daredevil a whole lot less time to do so.

Edited by blitzkrieg

I swear that I'm not trolling anyone here. But, why is everyone so upset that they killed her off?

To me, she was the least interesting, and least believable member of the team. Oliver was trained while on the Island. Diggle was a soldier. Thea had training from Malcolm. Sara trained with the league. Laurel took kickboxing classes at the YMCA, and was able to better trained assassins in hand to hand combat. Plus, that bit where she would faux yell while doing her sonic waves thing was just annoying. I wished they'd kept Sara and shipped Laurel off to the Legends of Tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Honestly? I felt like she had the most distinct arc in the series beyond Thea and that there was more story left to tell. Especially at a point where everyone else is unemployed and no longer rich yet apparently still financially sustained she has a job and a life and a family. There was a lot of room to move in narratively in a ton of different directions. 

Compare with Ollie who is spinning wheels, Dig who *was* spinning wheels until the Andy thing which honestly still doesn't add much, Felicity and Thea have both had interesting arcs that feel like they've effectively reached an approximate endpoint...she was the one character who had ties to everyone byt still had a ton of room to grow and develop and change. 

Admittedly I'm biased because comics Black Canary is one of my favourite characters ever but I just felt like she was the freshest, least stale character on the team for me. She'd also only been in costume for a little over a season.

Also I'm just really tired of character deaths as shortcuts to drama. Interviews have acknowledged that there was no plan for who died when they filmed the funeral scene. They genuinely only knew someone was going to die because drama. Which tells me that it's less about storytelling and more about ratings popping. But the rate at which Arrow and other CW shows kill characters is leading to a real sense of diminishing returns. There's been at least one 'shocking' death per season of EVERY ARROWVERSE SHOW SO FAR. Yet because of the episodic nature, these deaths don't have lasting repercussions because to do so would cast a cloud over the show. Which begs the question of why they keep killing characters if it doesn't really matter anyway. 

It's a wasteful use of resources with diminishing returns on the shock. It's lazy writing and I'm getting super tired of it.

Laurel was trained by Wild Cat, Nyssa al Gul, and then Oliver over the course of the past 2 seasons.  Frankly, she had better trainers than Thea (even if Wild Cat was toned way down) over the same stretch of time.

• Like 1

I kinda think the death is either a hoax to fool Darkh, or else they'll ship her over to Legends of Tomorrow and pull a version of her out of the timestream prior to her death (Why they didn't go that route with Sarah or Ray this season, I dunno.You'd think a time traveler would go forward or backward in time to get past or future versions of the crew he wants but with additional skills or less emotional baggage.  But no because....  Maybe Rip is just a really lazy time lor.... er.. . master).

13 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I swear that I'm not trolling anyone here. But, why is everyone so upset that they killed her off?

I think it's more of a symptom of the overall dissatisfaction with this season as a whole. With the amount of dislike of the "Olicity" centric nature of this season, killing off a central character just wasn't going go over well. Plus this was probably the least worse Laurel has ever been. Probably the only character hurt more than Laurel by the creators not knowing where they were going long term is post-season 2 flashback Oliver.

Also, most of the time you kill off a character, it's to put over the bad guy.  However, with the writing, Dhark with the totem has already been shown as invincible and beyond anything Ollie can do that they're going to need a deus ex machina to get past him.  Plot induced stupidity led to them putting the totem back together, and since they knew enough to keep at least a part safe, why the fuck doesn't Vixen and/or Barry have a couple pieces for safety.  Laurel didn't need to be fridged to put over Dhark, he's already at the CW-verse equivilent of Darkseid at this point.  Powered back up, with Merlyn's loyalists added, nothing short of them casting a Zatanna or Raven on the DL is going to be convincing enough to win at the end.  

And that's kinda the problem this season.

Legends of Tomorrow had a nice little bit about Felicity that'll be sure to make her even more hated. Basically caused global warfare and helped Vandal Savage take over the world, unknowingly anyway. And they pulled a sibling of Ray's from thin air seemingly, since I'm pretty sure there's never been a mention of him having a brother before (on Arrow/LoT). I think this show is going to have the same problem as Arrow is having with Dhark - how do you defeat someone who seems incapable of being defeated? Oh, and this episode featured the return of Hawkman (in flashbacks) because... drama reasons. At least next week we get Jonah Hex.