DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I'm really hoping Lot finally gets out of 1975 next week.

Did you not watch this last episode?

It ends with them going to 1986

I think my biggest criticism of the show is that they spent 3 episodes in 1975.  If you are writing a story about a group of misfits who can go to any time ever to kill someone who has been alive since ancient Egypt, why the fuck would you ever go to 1975?  They essentially have all recorded history to work with, and they picked 1975. 

I'm really hoping Lot finally gets out of 1975 next week.

Did you not watch this last episode?

It ends with them going to 1986

I think my biggest criticism of the show is that they spent 3 episodes in 1975. If you are writing a story about a group of misfits who can go to any time ever to kill someone who has been alive since ancient Egypt, why the fuck would you ever go to 1975? They essentially have all recorded history to work with, and they picked 1975. Because they wanted to run Caity Lotz through all the 70's wardrobe?
  • Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out why a time traveler assembled his team by visiting two different cities in the same year.  Especially since you could probably pluck superior versions of the same characters from other time periods (Black Canary before the Lazarus Put messed with her, a more experienced Firestorm, Hawks that weren't completely clueless).

Rip Hunter, laziest time lord master around.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out why a time traveler assembled his team by visiting two different cities in the same year.  Especially since you could probably pluck superior versions of the same characters from other time periods (Black Canary before the Lazarus Put messed with her, a more experienced Firestorm, Hawks that weren't completely clueless).

Rip Hunter, laziest time lord master around.

That was kind of explained, he had to grab them while they were losers, because no one who wasn't a loser was going to volunteer for his terrible plan.  It would be great if he went and found Hannibal, Genghis Khan, and Alexander the Great, but those dudes would have told him to go fuck himself.

Because if you recruit, say, Batman, and he dies, you risk altering the future in a bad way. He had to get the heroes that weren't significant to the timeline in the grand scheme of things. It's pretty clearly explained at the end of the pilot.

Because if you recruit, say, Batman, and he dies, you risk altering the future in a bad way. He had to get the heroes that weren't significant to the timeline in the grand scheme of things. It's pretty clearly explained at the end of the pilot.

I've only seen the first hour of the pilot, but I do remember Rip explaining that he chose them specifically because they didn't become legends or have a significant impact on the future.  I didn't get that that meant "this is the best time to pluck you from the timeline because you're down on your luck."  Canary could have been plucked from the timeline before she died and she would still be more or less disposable because she still wouldn't have an impact on the future timeline.

Not a big deal, but I think it would have been more interesting to write the time traveler as picking his team from different points in time.  They could easily have had Rip pick up Ray and Canary a few months or a year earlier before they "died".  Ray's death was just a season-ender cliffhanger anyway.  Though I guess maybe DC wouldn't want Ray Palmer "killed" and replaced by an earlier version.

I've only seen the first hour of the pilot, but I do remember Rip explaining that he chose them specifically because they didn't become legends or have a significant impact on the future.  I didn't get that that meant "this is the best time to pluck you from the timeline because you're down on your luck."  Canary could have been plucked from the timeline before she died and she would still be more or less disposable because she still wouldn't have an impact on the future timeline.

Not a big deal, but I think it would have been more interesting to write the time traveler as picking his team from different points in time.  They could easily have had Rip pick up Ray and Canary a few months or a year earlier before they "died".  Ray's death was just a season-ender cliffhanger anyway.  Though I guess maybe DC wouldn't want Ray Palmer "killed" and replaced by an earlier version.

They took the concept of time travel and ran with all of the uninteresting parts.  They picked people from the same era.  They traveled to an era that isn't historically significant in any way.  They told a story where going to the future would be idiotic.  They seriously could have done everything they've done on the show in the present.  I don't think it's bad, I just don't think it is written in a way that makes any sense for a time travel show.

I think it's actually significant that they had to pick Ray up while he's "dead" for a couple reasons.  First, because earlier he hadn't developed the shrinking tech and thus wouldn't have the powers that Rip (and the story) would find most useful.  Secondly, because at one time he *was* somewhat significant, but that's ended because he's gone off into hiding.  If you snatch him out of the timeline while he's still running Palmer Technologies and he dies, it potentially causes a lot more damage.  Sara, meanwhile, could probably have just as easily been grabbed between the end of Arrow S2 and her death for a more stable alternative.

Well no, because its Sara's death that pushes not only Laurel into becoming Black Canary, but also drives Malcom's long game into taking over as Ra's, and change in leadership of the League would be pretty damn historically significant.

That, and Sara's resurrection leads to Nyssa fucking up the Lazarus Pit, which could be a major timeline issue if changed if she didn't die.

• Like 1

OK, point taken.  My general point is the same as Supremebve's, but he said it much better.  From a story point of view, picking your entire group from two cities in the same era (and picking a group of people who kinda, almost all know each other through mutual acquaintances) is a fairly unimaginative use of time travel.

OK, point taken.  My general point is the same as Supremebve's, but he said it much better.  From a story point of view, picking your entire group from two cities in the same era (and picking a group of people who kinda, almost all know each other through mutual acquaintances) is a fairly unimaginative use of time travel.

I think that's a problem with the "real world" vs "story" concerns.  IRL, Legends of Tomorrow exists because the CW suits wanted to give actors and characters who were a hit more room to breathe and time to shine than they got as supporting characters on Flash and Arrow.  If you don't have Routh, Lotz, Miller and Garber (at the very least) you don't have a show, from their perspective.  They also wanted to expand the scope and timeline of their universe.  Both of those goals are good on their own, but when you combine them you get problems.

• Like 1

Got caught up on Supergirl over the weekend. Digging the show, but the flying combat scenes between Matrix and Supergirl looked baddddd.  I know it's hard to do that sort of thing on a tv budget, but some things just shouldn't be tried if you can't do them passably well.

I'm enjoying Supergirl quite a bit, but I still feel like I would like this show better if it were a (Kurt Busiek comic book mini-series) Marvels-style take on the DCU and Supergirl/Superman were basically viewed as mythic figures who are rarely seen close up. The Supergirl plots generally seem inferior to me to the scenes set inside Catco Media.  They've even done enough with Winn and Jams Olsen to make me not hate them (if only they could do that on Arrow or Flash.  I'm either disinterested or actively dislike most of the supporting cast on those shows).

I missed the first 20 minutes or so, but I was disappointed by the adaptation of "For the Man Who Has Everything". They used that great setup just so Kara could come to the conclusion that the place she's spent almost her entire life is "home". Weak.

And as BWimCP said, the special effects weren't very special. On the plus side, I didn't find any of the dialogue to be as terrible as in the pilot.

So I'm into Season 3 of Arrow and have started Flash.  Neither XFinity OnDemand or Hulu have the current seasons from the beginning, so I'm going to have to wait on those.  OnDemand does have the first three episodes of Legends of Tomorrow so I could pick that up, but I wasn't sure if I should start watching it without being totally current on Arrow and Flash?  I'm sure there are tie ins to both shows, are they from the current seasons to where I shouldn't start Legends until I can watch Season 4 of Arrow and Season 2 of Flash up to the point where Legends began?