DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA Playoffs - QUARTERFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

It's insane to me that the Bulls are trying to run Thibs out of town. I'm sorry, but everyone on that team is regressing except for Butler. Noah and Gibson are barely mediocre at this point. Gasol is running on fumes. Rose is a shell of himself. 

What they SHOULD do is blow it up and build around Butler, but the idea that Thibs was the problem and some other coach is going to take this current unit further than Thibs did seems ridiculous to me.

Having watched around 70+ games this year... I couldn't disagree more.  For one, they already have WAY too many pieces in place to blow anything up.  Yes Noah, Gibson etc have regressed.  We don't the talent to be a defensive team anymore, but Thib's couldn't adjust to that.  Watching his rotations from game to game I would say he is a HUGE part of the problem.  Everyone has caught up to him on defense, and he hasn't learned a damn thing from the best offensive coaches.  Dude is running his offense through Joakim Noah...

Thibs will never win a title, even with AD, unless he learns to adapt.  It's pretty obvious that he won't. 

This is the most confident I've been about D Rose in years.  Dude is healthy for the first offseason since the MVP year.  His shooting numbers look awful, but, when you realize just how little space he had to work with, the picture becomes a little more clear.  I can't wait to see what a new coach will do with him. 

If Pau is running on fumes, its only because Thibs played him 36 minutes every night.  Dude had a career year.

I'd bet money on Gibson being traded and Noah being gone after his contract runs out next summer.

Yeah, when it comes to the Bulls, I'll trust Jrag or some other dude's hot takes. Without cable or dish, I was left to watching a handful of regular season games and most of the playoffs and I could see Thibs never learned anything from his tenure in Chicago.

Having watched around 70+ games this year... I couldn't disagree more.  For one, they already have WAY too many pieces in place to blow anything up.  Yes Noah, Gibson etc have regressed.  We don't the talent to be a defensive team anymore, but Thib's couldn't adjust to that.  Watching his rotations from game to game I would say he is a HUGE part of the problem.  Everyone has caught up to him on defense, and he hasn't learned a damn thing from the best offensive coaches.  Dude is running his offense through Joakim Noah...

Thibs will never win a title, even with AD, unless he learns to adapt.  It's pretty obvious that he won't. 

This is the most confident I've been about D Rose in years.  Dude is healthy for the first offseason since the MVP year.  His shooting numbers look awful, but when you realize just how little space he had to work the picture becomes a little more clear.  I can't wait to see what a new coach will be able to do with him. 

If Pau is running on fumes, its only because Thibs played him 36 minutes every night.  Dude had a career year.

I'd bet money on Gibson being trade and Noah being gone after his contract runs out next summer.

Rose is just not the same player anymore. He'll never have the explosion he once had and he either can't consistently get to the basket anymore, or he doesn't trust his knees enough to not buckle on the way into the paint. Either way, he's settling for far too many jumpers and missing them. Maybe it's mental, we'll see.

Pau was still good offensively, but he's a liability defensively. He played 34 minutes a night this year and I don't think that's too much to ask from him, but he'd probably be ideal at around 30.

It just feels like they're treading water. The bigs are all at the end of their rope and Rose is not the same player, and can't be trusted to get through a month healthy, much less a full season.

Rose is still VERY explosive.  He wasn't settling for jumpers in the playoffs, there was just nowhere else to go.  Missing long, contested jumpers doesn't mean he is settling for those shots. Thibs had him running PnR's with Noah most of the time and it's an immediate double team.  Same thing happens when he has Kirk spotted up in a corner.  Teams immediately crash the paint when Rose steps towards the basket.  The spacing was unbearable all year.

If you go back and look at how effective the Rose/Pau PnR was in game 1, you'll see the problem.  It's also why Mirotic can be +17 in 15 minutes without showing up on the stat sheet.  The floor opens up for Rose and Butler in the right situations.  It's Thib's fault for not putting him in those situations nearly enough.

Rose and Noah were also on a similar minutes limit (not Thibs fault) and they played together far too often (definitely Thibs fault) during the regular season.  Yes, Rose settled for 3's at an alarming rate, but again, can't blame him for not wanting to take the contact in a stupid long regular season.  

The explosiveness is still there, though.  It's why I'm so optimistic about his next season.

Edit:  I'll stick this here since I've already posted enough on this page.  Lowe's first paragraph:

You almost had to laugh. The fightin’ Chicago Bulls, down big in the fourth quarter with their season on the line, tried to mount a comeback with Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson, and Kirk Hinrich on the floor together. Tom Thibodeau eventually swapped out Noah for Pau Gasol, but Hinrich remained in, and Nikola Mirotic did not sniff the court in the second half until the game was hopeless. Tony Snell, who can actually shoot 3s, may have been serving beer in the stands.

.http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-eulogy-for-if-only-the-bulls-as-we-know-them-are-probably-done/

• Like 2

Not sure Memphis is all that great, honestly. Think they just caught the dubs off guard for a couple games. Jeff Green sucks. Tony Allen, probably can't win with those players in the starting lineup anymore. Can't shoot 3's. Can't run. Can't make shots.

Time to make some major lineup adjustments, IMO.

Memphis had a 67-win team on the rope with a point guard with a broken face and a bunch of other injuries and one of the best defenders in the league hobbling. I really hope they get an outside shooter this off-season.

• Like 1

ESPN has a nice, terse article detailing the defensive adjustments the Warriors made after game 3. Basically, leave Tony Allen open with Bogut loosely checking him but mostly bringing the double on Randolph when he puts the ball on the floor. Then the guards come back and crash the defensive glass as Gasol/Koufos wouldn't be boxed out effectively due to the double team on Z-Bo. The Grizzlies only shot 38% in the final three games of the series. Between the Noah strategy Kidd started and this, it seems like we're going to see more and more of this kind of thing. 

Both of my teams are now out of the playoffs. My only hope is that the Hawks upset Lebron and Co....and the winner of Rockets/Clips put up a good fight against GSW.

I still think we are going to have a GSW/Cavs final though. So I guess....go Warriors lol.

Memphis had a 67-win team on the rope with a point guard with a broken face and a bunch of other injuries and one of the best defenders in the league hobbling. I really hope they get an outside shooter this off-season.

On the ropes is a big overstatement, IMO. When the series mattered, Memphis wasn't even close.

If they have championship aspirations, they're probably behind the Warriors, a healthy Thunder team, the Spurs and the Clippers in the West. Maybe even a healthy Rockets team.

I've always felt like Memphis really just needed 1-2 great perimeter shooters to be truly great.  Their defense is always so elite that you don't always notice that their floor spacing can be a mess at times.  Too easy to double up on Gasol and Z-bo because there are no outside threats. Mike Miller was a perfect fit for them.  There are plenty of gunners out there to be had for cheap.

I really don't want GSW or Lebron to win. I think the Clips can beat those teams, so I guess I'm rooting for them.

Assuming the Cavs get past the Hawks, which will be close, I think the Clippers are the only team I would consider underdogs against the Cavs.