DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah, I get that it's hideous to be an aging actress but it does sound like she was getting offers...she just didn't find them creatively fulfilling.

Though this does sort of prove that having an Oscar, or two in her case, really doesn't mean much in the long run.

Yeah, I get that it's hideous to be an aging actress but it does sound like she was getting offers...she just didn't find them creatively fulfilling.

Though this does sort of prove that having an Oscar, or two in her case, really doesn't mean much in the long run.

I would have a ton of more respect for the article if it was Wiest talking about being in semi-retirement because the roles were awful.  Then I would be like "Yeah, good on you for sticking to your guns and pointing out the discrepancy of roles for older actresses!" But to try and garner sympathy for pissing your money away with the "bad roles for women" card?  UGH

Melissa McCarthy is a beautiful and extremely talented woman.

Not that you would know, from the shit Hollywood keeps putting her in all the time.

She was good in St. Vincent. There she was just a sarcastic, tired mom not the "OMG, SHE'S FAT AND CRUDE AND SAYS FART A LOT" archetype she's turned into so often.

Dianne Wiest was god awful on Law & Order for several years in a plum assignment. How is that only getting "nice mom" roles?

FTFY
I hated her less than most but, yeah, not exactly superstar work there.

Not that you would know, from the shit Hollywood keeps putting her in all the time.

McCarthy was amazing on Gilmore Girls playing the sweet-natured, somewhat ditzy best friend to Lorelai. She was really awesome. I'm glad she's made a lot of money from her run but she should really be ashamed of herself.

McCarthy was amazing on Gilmore Girls playing the sweet-natured, somewhat ditzy best friend to Lorelai. She was really awesome. I'm glad she's made a lot of money from her run but she should really be ashamed of herself.

It's not like there are a myriad of roles for actresses of her size/shape/look.  

I mean, you said yourself that she was amazing on 'Gilmore Girls' (Never cared for the show so I'm taking your word on it) and where did that get her?! IMDB has it going off the air in 2007 and the next few years sees her take another two supporting roles on TV (Samantha Who, Rita Rocks..whatever that is) and do just 5 movies from 2007-2011.  Then she's in Mike and Molly (2010) and Bridesmaids (2011) right close together and suddenly work comes up: 6 movies over the next 3 years, with another 4 over the next two yearsish.  Obviously no one was paying/going to see her as the sweet overweight woman, so why not go out and make millions doing slapstick?

It's not like we're talking whatever the hell Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino have done to their careers.  It would be like badmouthing Jason Alexander for wagging a tail in a Farrelly Brothers movie given that he can do so much more, but if people aren't paying him to be in semi-serious roles, why should he be ashamed for making money in other roles?!

• Like 3

The shit "Hollywood" puts her in.  "Tammy" was her dream project.  She wrote it and her husband directed it.  But go ahead and blame "Hollywood."

Tammy was better than any of the other stuff I've seen her do. It actually had a fascinating subtext about America and the disconnect of the American dream between generations, with an actual commentary on entitlement.

"Just 5 movies from 2007-2011"

5 movies in 4 years is doing pretty well, especially with featured roles on 2 TV shows at the same time.

These aren't starring roles or big-time movies.  Have you heard of 'Cook-Off!'? 'Just Add Water'? 'Pretty Ugly People'?  'Cuz I sure haven't, and only one of these did she actually turn up in the top 5 of billing (Which doesn't always mean anything on IMDB but still...).  So she was doing bit-parts in indie films and TV work, then parlays 'Bridesmaids' and 'Mike and Molly' into small roles in big-time movies ('This is 40' and 'The Hangover 3') or starring roles in genuine hits like 'The Heat' ($159M gross on a $43M budget), 'Identity Thief' ($134M gross on a $35M budget) or 'Tammy' ($84M gross on a $20M budget) and we're gonna begrudge her for the roles she's taking when it's pretty clear there weren't a lot of good ones out there before she became famous for 'Bridesmaids'/'Mike and Molly'?!

Do we also criticize Jason Bateman for playing the same role in a variety of sophomoric comedies (Couples Retreat, Horrible Bosses, The Switch, The Change-Up, Identity Thief, Horrible Bosses 2) when 'Arrested Development made it clear he can do so much more?!  Some people might, but I've never seen it on here, but this is the second or third time I've seen the talking point about Melissa McCarthy should be ashamed of herself on here and I don't get why she's being singled out.

Plus, to go back to jaedmc's point, how many of the people complaining about 'Tammy' have actually seen it?  I know I haven't, but I'm guessing a lot of folks on here are basing their opinions off the trailer.

She started in Pro Wrestling IRON (Gilmore Girls) transitioned to Juggalo Championshit Wrestling (Bridesmaids, Tammy, The Heat, Spy, etc.) did a one shot in Ring of Honor (St. Vincent) and now just got signed to TNA.

It's not just her though, it's all fat actors.  Eric Stonestreet, for instance, has been trying to get a Roscoe* Arbuckle biopic off the ground For-EVER, and said that he didn't want Cam to just be a "fatty go boom" character, but an actual three dimensional person.  Of course the next season they did a number of episodes where all Cam did was pratfalls.

*Roscoe HATED the nickname "Fatty"

At the risk of walking into some uncomfortable territory here, how many fat actors have managed to land good quality parts that are outside the stereotype? Does Camryn Manheim qualify? She's had a bunch of fantastic TV work and certainly isn't the Hollywood Ideal but she's also not quite the same as a Roseanne or a Melissa McCarthy.

Good question.  Off the top of my head:

John Goodman plays more characters than just the goofy fat oaf.

I'd say Gabourey Sidebe but that's disingenuous.  She was cast in Precious exactly because she looked that way and hasn't done a whole lot since.  And man was she was cast as a buffoon in Tower Heist.  "HAW HAW she's so fat and dark skinned it's hilarious that she's attracted to Eddie isn't it!"

It's funny how Howard Stern was lambasted for saying how she'd better lose weight because Hollywood is not kind to overweight actors and that there wouldn't be many roles for her.  This was after the Oscars where Hollywood did the "let's pat ourselves on the back for pretending to be inclusive of minorities and non pretty people" thing so nobody wanted to hear that shit right then.  Here we are, 5-6 years later, and he was exactly right.