DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

ARE ALL OF YOU PEOPLE EUROPEAN?? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON??? IS MARVEL LETTING EVERYONE ELSE EXCEPT ME GO TO THIS MOVIE EARLY???

Truly, this is a kickass... torrent of early reviews from people who wouldn't normally see it early.

*ahem*

ARE ALL OF YOU PEOPLE EUROPEAN?? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON??? IS MARVEL LETTING EVERYONE ELSE EXCEPT ME GO TO THIS MOVIE EARLY???

Truly, this is a kickass... torrent of early reviews from people who wouldn't normally see it early.

*ahem*

I shouldn't do that........ but I'm probably gonna.

I am a terrible person.

Speak for yourself Zeidler. The Z is in Germany, Natural and me are in England.

About the three lasers thing from a few pages ago:

Vision is shooting a Laser. Iron Man is shooting a repulsor. Thor is shooting lightning

That box is not that unclickable. This one is very unclickable:

Loved the way how right after Vision woke up, he looked admiringly at Thor and then just grew a cloak. And how the 'Who can lift the Hammer' scene from the party paid off with Vision totally not-selling it as a big deal that he could. And then Thor revealing that although he's good at every kind of fighting, he's terrible at stalling for time.

• Like 1

So, how long do we wait before we stop using spoiler boxes then? Is it like the day of the US release, or the Monday after, or what?

Considering Iron Man 3 ended with Stark taking the shrapnel out of his chest and destroying all of his armours, you'd think that this movie would at least take a second to explain why he's built more Suits and is back Iron Manning it up. But it doesn't.

So, how long do we wait before we stop using spoiler boxes then? Is it like the day of the US release, or the Monday after, or what?

"Until Rippa's seen it" would be my guess

*ahem*

I am a terrible person.

Stay strong, lad. Think of what Cap would do.

*ahem*

I am a terrible person.

Stay strong, lad. Think of what Cap would do.

Too late. I'm halfway through it now.

But I am still going on Thursday also! Tickets already bought.

Unorganized thoughts:

I wish Falcon would have showed up at the same time as War Machine to help with the evacuation.

Why did Rhodey ditch the Iron Patriot Armor?

Wish they had explained why Stark has armor again after the end of Iron Man 3.

An Avenger needed to die, but it's a shame they didn't get more use out of Quicksilver.

I really liked the Black Widow/Hulk romance, though it seems most people disagree.

Hawkeye stole the show. I hope he's not forgotten. Give him a Netflix show! Though he is in Civil War, so I probably shouldn't worry.

The new Avengers line-up seems less powerful than the last one, but that can be ok. I'm intrigued by the new line-up.

Ultron himself was massively entertaining and awesome. Surprisingly funny too.

No "Ultron, we would have words with thee!"?????

Elizabeth Olsen is hot.

• Like 1

Avengers: Age of Ultron reassembles the Avengers for the first time since Avengers Assemble in 2012. The sequel is facing pressure following Avengers Assemble acclaim and box office records it made. Lot to take in with Avengers: Age of Ultron as it’s packed. I enjoyed it but it’s a step down from the first film and I wouldn't place it in the top tier Marvel Studios films: Avengers Assemble, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Iron Man in that order.

Last time around my favourite three were Banner, Loki and Rogers. This time: Thor who is the best character in the movie and is very funny, Scarlet Witch and the Vision who in motion looks better compared to the posters/concept art.

Avengers: Age of Ultron thoughts as they come to mind…

Good cameo appearances: Peggy Carter, War Machine, not as Iron Patriot, the Falcon, Heimdall, Dr. Selvig and the traditional Stan Lee cameo which is one of his most memorable. Shame there wasn’t Loki or Sif though you have to draw a line at some point.

I never expected the Vision to be the first in the MCU to properly lift Mjolnir. Scene was well acted and got a big reaction by the audience, fortunate to be in a good one. Always thought Steve Rogers would do that first. I’d guess the fans already know Steve is noble and Whedon wanted to give the rub to a new character with a bang. Least Steve did partially move it in the party scene, the best of the movie.

There were two great callbacks to Avengers Assemble: Hawkeye avoiding Scarlet Witch’s mind manipulation, only Avenger to do so “Mind control, not a fan”. I thought that was one of the funniest lines. The other Avengers Assemble recall is Hulk getting punched off screen by Hulkbuster. Hulk did that to Thor in the first film.

Surprised but liked Iron Man 3 was ignored. Rhodes is back as War Machine and Tony Stark is Iron Man with no explanation.

I didn’t care for the Hulk/Black Widow romance. Both had better outings in the original. That’s a shame more so for Banner as we’ve had a three year wait to see him as the Hulk again.

I thought Hawkeye was going to die with the added screen time and it looked like he was saving a boy but Quicksilver took the hits and died. Hoping this death sticks, MCU have done a lot of deaths to return from.

A lot of crowd controls making sure citizens are top priorities. I remember reading complaints that the opposite happened in Man of Steel (2013).

Funny moments: The previously mentioned party scene as the Avengers tries to lift Mjolnir, also one of the highlights of the film. Hawkeye wanting to nail Quicksilver with his arrows when he’s on their side muttering “nobody would know”. Thor and Iron Man saying whose girlfriend is better. “Go to sleep, go to sleep” by Hulkbuster to the Hulk and “I’m sorry” when Hulkbuster knocks Hulk’s tooth out. Quicksilver’s what gives look after the cops accidently try and shoot him. Another dialogue exchange which stood out something like “If you put Mjolnir in a lift and you press the up button, it isn’t worthy” said by Cap to Thor.

The ending sees Captain America and Black Widow meeting up with New Avengers: Vision, War Machine, Falcon and Scarlet Witch (last two have new costumes better than their first looks). Cap says “Avengers” and then the screen cuts to black.

Mid-credits scene of Thanos collecting the Infinity Gauntlet minus the Infinity Stones was alright but one of my least favourite mid-credit/post-credit scenes.

My complete ranking of all the MCU films:

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

3. Iron Man (2008)

4. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

6. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

7. Thor (2011)

8. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

9. Iron Man 3 (2013)

10. Iron Man 2 (2010)

11. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Daredevil is superior to them all.

Questions?

Saw this yesterday, will put my thoughts in spoilers just in case.

First off i want to say that im not a huge fan of the Marvel Universe stuff,not that i dont like it but it wouldn't be my favourite cup of tea. That said I LOVED Avengers Assemble,Cap2 and Iron Man 1&3.

However i thought Age of Ultron was meh.

My problem with it is that everyone has to be "cool" and witty and get a corny joke in, Iron Man does it, Cap does it,Thor does it and so on the only person i didnt mind doing it was Hawkeye because it felt right IMO.

Ultron is a bad guy that the Avengers created and at the start is a bit menacing but kind of just falls away near the end of the film. Spader has a great voice and makes Ultron interesting for the most part but by the end hes just a jobber.

Quiksilver and Scarlet Witch were great i thought.

The Vision was a bland character (Is he supposed to be this way?)

Cobie Smulders can do no wrong,especially when she wears that red dress.

This film belongs to Hawkeye.

I dont have much interest in any of the Marvel films beyond this.

On an end note to my random thoughts, i went to the film with my buddy who loves the Marvel Universe and knows it inside out and he disliked it way more than i did.

Age of Ultron I have a feeling will cause many debates and arguments for years.  But it's not as good of a movie as Avengers.  I'm kind of glad Whedon is leaving the MCU.  He seems ready to leave.

I just read a Slate interview from a couple weeks ago. You can safely replace "seems" with "is clearly".

• Like 1

I don't know if it's just fatigue due to basically working non-stop since he started on the first Avengers movie, but he definitely comes off as a dude who is kinda fed up with Marvel at this point.

• Like 1