DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

I have a little feeling Avengers: Age of Ultron will be less well received than Avengers Assemble. Even if it is, it shouldn't stop it making a lot of money.

Eh. Once the original hype subsided, a lot of people cooled on the first Avengers. It's definitely gone from top of the pops to middle of the pack for me since it hit and that's not just down to Phase 2 being awesome. The movie has a lot of problems from the weird creeping militarism to the overly long final battle that never really sold the stakes...I never bought that any of the team were in danger and thus it was more extended squash than tense climax.

With SHIELD gone and Ultron being a more credible threat than Loki and the Chitauri, there's no reason the sequel shouldn't be able to improve on the original.

I hope there's a little more to it than "here's Avengers squashing some robots and cracking jokes along the way".  Winter Solider and Guardians of the Galaxy were drastic improvements to the MCU.  The trailers have been pretty cool for this. I hope it's not a giant step back. I'm glad this is Whedon's last go 'round. He might be a good writer but his action was crap.

I have a little feeling Avengers: Age of Ultron will be less well received than Avengers Assemble. Even if it is, it shouldn't stop it making a lot of money.

Eh. Once the original hype subsided, a lot of people cooled on the first Avengers. It's definitely gone from top of the pops to middle of the pack for me since it hit and that's not just down to Phase 2 being awesome. The movie has a lot of problems from the weird creeping militarism to the overly long final battle that never really sold the stakes...I never bought that any of the team were in danger and thus it was more extended squash than tense climax.

With SHIELD gone and Ultron being a more credible threat than Loki and the Chitauri, there's no reason the sequel shouldn't be able to improve on the original.

Fair enough. For me Avengers Assemble is still the best Marvel Studios film.

I'm seeing Avengers: Age of Ultron this Thursday. I'm very busy Friday-Sunday. Hopefully I'll be able to bob along and have my say on the film.

Buzzfeed has a great interview with Joss Whedon that covers his whole run with Marvel Studios (and makes it seem like they broke his brain). He had this to say about the Edgar Wright/Ant Man fiasco.

"...I don’t get it,” he said with a sigh. “I thought the script was not only the best script that Marvel had ever had, but the most Marvel script I’d read. I had no interest in Ant-Man. [Then] I read the script, and was like, Of course! This is so good! It reminded me of the books when I read them. Irreverent and funny and could make what was small large, and vice versa. I don’t know where things went wrong. But I was very sad. Because I thought, This is a no-brainer. This is Marvel getting it exactly right. Whatever dissonance that came, whatever it was, I don’t understand why it was bigger than a marriage that seemed so right. But I’m not going to say it was definitely all Marvel, or Edgar’s gone mad! I felt like they would complement each other by the ways that they were different. And, uh, somethin’ happened.”

As if I wasn't despondent enough before.

Buzzfeed has a great interview with Joss Whedon that covers his whole run with Marvel Studios (and makes it seem like they broke his brain). He had this to say about the Edgar Wright/Ant Man fiasco.

"...I don’t get it,” he said with a sigh. “I thought the script was not only the best script that Marvel had ever had, but the most Marvel script I’d read. I had no interest in Ant-Man. [Then] I read the script, and was like, Of course! This is so good! It reminded me of the books when I read them. Irreverent and funny and could make what was small large, and vice versa. I don’t know where things went wrong. But I was very sad. Because I thought, This is a no-brainer. This is Marvel getting it exactly right. Whatever dissonance that came, whatever it was, I don’t understand why it was bigger than a marriage that seemed so right. But I’m not going to say it was definitely all Marvel, or Edgar’s gone mad! I felt like they would complement each other by the ways that they were different. And, uh, somethin’ happened.”

As if I wasn't despondent enough before.

It's a shame Edgar Wright left Ant-Man. Liked all four of his films, especially Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Buzz around Ant-Man seems to be less compared to the usual MCU hype. I think it might surprise people.

What I got from yesterday's big Whedon article was that a lot of character stuff got cut to keep it under 3 hours. I have no idea why they don't release extended editions of these Marvel movies. They're just leaving money on the table. 

• Like 1

This review agrees with you.

Cheers mate.

If Guardians is a 10/10, I'll give Avengers Assemble an 8.5

Good film, but I question the potential for long term damage to it. I have no real want to see Civil War now having watched that instead.

Just fast track Infinity Series already.

Thanks. How many credit scenes are there so we know how long to stick around for? Cheers.

Thanks. How many credit scenes are there so we know how long to stick around for? Cheers.

Whedon said at an interview that there will be no post credit scene, but there is a mid-credit scene.  My cousin works for the LA Times and told me what went down when he saw the critic release roll.

It is a prep shot for Infinity War Part 1. 

The scene begins from the inside of some sort of container.  As it opens, you see Thanos.  He reaches inside the container and pulls out the Infinity Gauntlet.  He studies it and notes that there are no gemstones in it. 

He frowns and says, "I guess I will have to do it myself," and the scene fades to black as he puts on the gauntlet.

There is a fake post credit scene of a Spider Man cameo floating around.  You know that it isn't real because Disney / Marvel hasn't set the internets on fire with cease and desist orders.

Question for J.T.

There's a review that mentions at one point 3 Avengers are firing lasers at Ultron.  I've got Iron Man & Vision as 2, can't think of the 3rd.  Any idea?

I asked my cousin not to tell me anything major, so I am not sure what happens. Speculatively,

Scarlet Witch is probably the third Avenger.  I think that someone may be mistaking Wanda's mutant energy blasts for "lasers."

Seriously, comic nerds are more obsessive about stuff like that than the LOTR nerds

This coming from you of all people is.. something.  Did anyone actually think there would be a lot of character development in this? Marvel will get a pass from critics on that anyway. Avengers is the new "big dumb action flick"