DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: SEPTEMBER

Dolfan in NYC

Well, yeah. The situation with Buffalo cutting ties with them after 2012 was hilarious. Essentially, the players the Mets were sending them stunk, and attendance went into the shitter.

Spokane ran into that a few years back when they were still a Royals affiliate.  Management got sick of the Royals giving them a roster full of guys who struggled to hit .210 at short season A combined with pitchers who topped out at 82mph.  So they cut ties and have been with the Rangers since.  Now Spokane routinely gets first round draft picks and guys that can actually play.  It helps that Texas is just a flat out better organization, of course.

So I went to the Cubs game yesterday, which was awesome.

A game saving outfield catch by Chris Coghlin was made practically right in front of where I was at.

What was not great were the helmet nachos. It's a baseball helmet full of nachos. An actual adult sized helmet. In lieu of drinking many beers since I had to drive back home that same night, I had a fucking Cubs helmet full of nachos. What a goddamn ridiculously bad misstep. I urge all of you, if your team has the same thing, to avoid that shit, or at least have a group of 5 or 6 people help out. You will have a food hangover. Guaranteed.

I first saw those at Busch Stadium last year.  It'd be cool to have the novelty helmet, and $17 for such a monstrous amount of food really isn't bad by ballpark standards, but I know there's no way I could (or would want to) polish it off.  Then I'm stuck with a slimy Cardinals helmet on the train ride home, plus I know it would just end up being used as a puking vessel for one of the SLU or Washington University students who can't handle their Busch Light.

Maybe it would be worth it to pay off one of the plentiful cherubic tykes in my section to eat the nachos and I could keep the helmet when they're finished, I don't know.

The trend in recent years is to have as many teams close to home as possible, with the AA and AAA teams extremely close in case teams need an emergency call up. Needless to say, a club like the Mets, who have their AAA team in Vegas and their AA club in Binghamton are in a tough situation if they need to bring a major league guy up right away.

Binghamnton is fine since they can just shoot up North to the Syracuse airport and go from there. It's the same situation as Scranton for the Yanks. (again - right next to big enough airport to make a flight into the city in like 15 minutes or be off to where ever the team is in the country.)

It is just means that the Mets really should have their guys rehabbing in Binghamton... which I am not sure if they do or not

Right. I meant that they generally would want to skip good prospects over Vegas and let them grow closer to home in Binghamton, but they'd also need to keep some depth guys there as well in case of an emergency.

Of course, they dumped both Wheeler and Syndergaard into the fire at LV, and both ended up ok enough.

Oh please.  Buying Royals playoff tickets with your credit card is one thing.  Trying to buy Phillies or Mets playoff tickets with a credit card is SURE to get the fraud department on high alert.

What was not great were the helmet nachos. It's a baseball helmet full of nachos. An actual adult sized helmet. In lieu of drinking many beers since I had to drive back home that same night, I had a fucking Cubs helmet full of nachos. What a goddamn ridiculously bad misstep. I urge all of you, if your team has the same thing, to avoid that shit, or at least have a group of 5 or 6 people help out. You will have a food hangover. Guaranteed.

I first saw those at Busch Stadium last year.  It'd be cool to have the novelty helmet, and $17 for such a monstrous amount of food really isn't bad by ballpark standards, but I know there's no way I could (or would want to) polish it off.  Then I'm stuck with a slimy Cardinals helmet on the train ride home, plus I know it would just end up being used as a puking vessel for one of the SLU or Washington University students who can't handle their Busch Light.

Maybe it would be worth it to pay off one of the plentiful cherubic tykes in my section to eat the nachos and I could keep the helmet when they're finished, I don't know.

Have you seen the White Sox Sundae Helmet? There's a goddamn funnel cake in there below the sundae.