DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

You have got to be shitting me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/nigel-farage-350-million-pledge-to-fund-the-nhs-was-a-mistake/

"Oh, we didn't put out that advert! Er, um, I mean, that wasn't MY advert. Ok, well, it was, but it was a mistake! Thanks for voting, suckers!"

wow.  I wasn't following this to this level of detail but...

The pledge was central to the official Vote Leave campaign and was controversially emblazoned on the side of the bus which shuttled Boris Johnson and Michael Gove around the country...Speaking just an hour after the Leave vote was confirmed the Ukip leader said the money could not be guaranteed and claimed he would never have made the promise in the first place.

This is straight up laugh-in-the-face-of-the-gallows insane-making.

I think reacting to any stock market news on this today is premature. That will settle itself and stabilize over time. If anything, it may be a good time to invest in the British pound because I can only guess that today will be its floor. Granted, the British government could completely botch this exit and make things worse for themselves, but only time will tell. People can point out the xenophobic aspects of this all you want, but my base understanding is that Britain to a large extent has resented the EU for a long time. Also since the Greece stuff a few years ago and a couple of other EU countries following similar suit, I think this was a matter of time. I believe a lot of the wealth countries view the EU as a sinking ship and are probably not happy about having independent decisions they make be overruled .

Long term, I believe an independent UK will be a good thing, but obviously, it's way too early to tell and relies on complete competence and probably having to deal with a rough couple of years during that transition. 

• Like 2

I know! It's crazy! I would never expect that kind of shit to come out of a country like England. The body is still warm and dude is already admitting that he duped millions of voters.

Again though, many of those voters are so dumb considering they voted for something basically as a joke.

FUCKING. IDIOTS.

Part of me wants to say, "oh no, uh uh, you lie in the bed you make."

The other part of me wants to let them re-do the vote to get it right because the last thing we need is more global instability or the EU dissolving.

• Like 1

Cue October DNC ad featuring quote after quote of UK voters saying things like:

"I just want to vote for something different"

"At least it's something new."

"We're taking our country back and the other side just wants the same old thing."

"What's the worst that could happen?"

followed by headlines like:

"Economy in turmoil"

"Markets plunge within hours..."

"Voters regret, beg for do-over"

It's going to be the Daisy ad of 2016.

Of course I'm also now waiting for the full-page time ad saying "DON'T FUCK THIS UP, HILLARY!"

• Like 1

It's incredible. What has happened to education that made people so stupid? Is it because I'm now a responsible adult in my mid 30s and I think the younger generation is too dumb, just like my parents' generation thought about us? Or has general education declined to such a point that the vast majority of the population is ignorant to their actions and thinks they'll be coddled and can receive do-overs? I also realize that 18-30 year olds were in the majority for voting to remain, but I'm just having such a hard time understanding just how this could happen.

Here's to hoping for a do-over I guess.

24 minutes ago, (BP) said:

This is squarely at the feet of baby boomers, just like a Trump Presidency will be. Both will somehow be young people's fault by next year, though. 

I find it beyond amusing that both parties have been duped by the whole notion of this Trump run which makes it more sad that he has made it this far in the election.

It's by and large an act. The guy has been doing a bit for whatever the stereotyped empty neo-con rhetoric is and it's somehow resonating. If anything, it proves the idiocy of the modern GOP voter to fall for it and not pick up on it. It also shows that the left is outraged by this and is not grudgingly playing along with it. As someone that tilts right and plans to vote third party this election, I can tell you the right wing crowd is having a harder time unifying behind Trump than the left is behind Clinton.

I also find it sad that people think this upcoming Presidential election is some great tectonic shift. Both major party options for president are God awful and this whole election cycle is an extreme version of pot calling kettle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think it's funny that John Oliver's bit about this wouldn't air in England until after the vote.

That was deliberate. It normally airs on Mondays but was delayed so as not to swing the vote.

Lot of chatter about London bailing on the UK to stay with the EU too which is unthinkable. This got real crazy real fast.

Warren Ellis' tweets about this last night were the best thing to come from this.

I think there's just a few people who like reminding everyone that Texas has a secession clause it can invoke at any point. Texas is probably one of our richer states, but I don't think it could survive independently as a nation. Although, I'm sure it would be an attractive nation for many to relocate.

Yup...this all sucks.

However, the "Trump presidency" talk is pretty rhetorical at this point. Basic math is pretty much killing any chance he has. If you're darker than chocolate milk, you won't vote for him and if you're a woman, very few of you will vote for him. Without those two blocks backing you, you're not going to be a president of these United States. Also....polls.

The polling we media types use for news.

It's an aggregate and it updates constantly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think there's just a few people who like reminding everyone that Texas has a secession clause it can invoke at any point. Texas is probably one of our richer states, but I don't think it could survive independently as a nation. Although, I'm sure it would be an attractive nation for many to relocate.

If Texas secedes, Mexico will annex them tout suite. #Mexit

• Like 1