DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

Nigel Farage, when asked about the petition for a re-do of the referendum, said "It's not best two out of three".

Nigel Farage has stood for Parliament seven times. All of which were unsuccessful.

They never lost their independence. They're not going to ever get their "real borders" back. He'll be out of a job long before that ever happens.

Farage doesn't have a job per se. He's the head of a party, but the party only has one MP and it's not him. He's a noisy nothing, but for some reason the right-wing media chooses to give him exposure his actual profile doesn't warrant.

I was aware of that, I think that technically still counts as some kind of job if he gets money. If he doesn't; then, I amend my statement and say he'll die long before that happens.

"The baby boomers subsidised their lives with massive public borrowing, then voted for austerity; they enjoyed final salary pension schemes, then abolished them; they enjoyed free university education, then voted to abolish that too; they enjoyed public utilities, then sold them off; and now, after enjoying a lifetime of EU citizenship, they've voted to take it away from us not even to save money, but simply to give them a nationalistic thrill."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/letters/the-baby-boomers-have-a7104461.html

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cristobal said:

He does have a job.

He's an MEP. Per Wikipedia, this makes him around €84,000.

Doesn't it just make you want to vomit?

So I know nothing about British politics, but A) how does he get elected for that position when he can't win a seat as an MP, and B) shouldn't the Brexit mean he's out of a job?

2 hours ago, Control said:

So I know nothing about British politics, but A) how does he get elected for that position when he can't win a seat as an MP, and B) shouldn't the Brexit mean he's out of a job?

A) European parliamentary elections are separate, and unlike elections for the British parliament, under a system of proportional representation. In the 2014 elections, UKIP, running on a platform of Eurosceptism and poorly-concealed racism, got 26% of the vote, allowing Farage to join a body he is attempting to destroy. He has since spent his time missing meetings and organizing ridiculous stunts to complain about things he would have actually had the power to change were he not missing all those meetings.

B) In a just universe, yes, but it's going to take time. The British government has to submit official notice of its intention to withdraw (you may be hearing about Article 50, which is the section of the Treaty of the European Union allowing member-states to withdraw,) which starts a two-year clock for negotiating the nation's exit. Of course he could resign, but the little weasel has shown no sign that he'll be forgoing his paycheck, which has got to be the least well-earned of its kind since that of the fire control officer on the Hindenburg.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who now sees a grown-up Lady Mormont every time Nicola Sturgeon stands up somewhere and says her tiny little land will be heard and will remain loyal?

You knew they were lying about funding the NHS...but you refused the coawl.

You...you had your lifetime of EU citizenship but now you're old so you refused the coawl.

and you...We voted to stay with you two years ago, but when it came time for you to think about what is best for the realm you refused the coawl.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

The only person I am aware of further north than her is the Iceland futbol announcer.

Is he kingly?

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

The only person I am aware of further north than her is the Iceland futbol announcer.

Who got fired from his actual job right after that match.

Having said that, his actual job was head coach of a footy team that was losing all of their matches, so it's not like he 'got fired' got fired.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Who got fired from his actual job right after that match.

The north remembers. We know only one true king.  And that king's name is probably something like RÓlafursdsdóttir. Which is why we'll just call him The King in the North.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, piranesi said:

The north remembers. We know only one true king.  And that king's name is probably something like RÓlafursdsdóttir. Which is why we'll just call him The King in the North.

Konunginn í norðri says the Icelandic wikipedia!

I did a quick google image search for that phrase and it landed me on this:

800px-Gustav-I-Sweden.jpg

So, it's settled then. Scotland is to leave the UK and pledge itself to the 16th century King Gustave I of Sweden.

It makes exactly as much sense as everything else that happened in Europe this week.

So Sweden gets Scotland and Iceland gets England, it's like the 11th century all over again (except for no Danes)

Who gets Wales and why would anyone want it? Perhaps Wales to the Danes?

Welsh is only spoken in two places in the world - Wales, and Patagonia, South America. So Wales can become a satellite nation of Argentina, to compensate them for the Falklands (nb: If they'd asked politely in the 80s, like China did with Hong Kong, they'd probably have them back already. But because they invaded with gunships instead, they can never have them).