DVDVR Message Board

Godzilla (2014)

Big Fresh

Eh, he gets to be Godzilla's partner against King Ghidorah and Gigan (the most insane monster design of the entire series, btw)  That's not nothing.

He also got to be sucked down into a hole by an earthquake that had nothing to do with the rest of the plot in Vs. Megalon, so maybe you have a point.

Saw it today.

While i thought it was a perfectly fine picture, i think the nagging thing in the back of my head bothering me is that the scientists took the back seat to the military. Maybe its the foggy lens of memory, but i always think of the classic movies, the scientists are the human protagonists (even if the kaiju are the real stars).

Saw this last night (Which is relatively early for me, especially since I'm pretty sure I never saw a single Godzilla film in its entirety before this...maybe one) and really liked it.  I liked all the different ways your views of the fights are filtered (though a windshield, through goggles, on TV in the background) before you finally get the last fight in the movie.  Also, I got genuine goosebumps when the MUTO was trashing Hawaii and this big foot stomps into the scene and you get the full-length slow pan-up of Godzilla, thought that was really awesome.  My only gripe is Ken Watanabe's mic needed to be turned way up, there were lots of times where he would make what I presume was supposed to be an important point and I'd just shrug my shoulders because I couldn't hear a word he said (maybe I was too close to the speakers).

It also has to again be mentioned how baffling it is that there was some 20+ years of hearing about Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen all the time and then, from out of nowhere, a third Olsen sister emerges who is way prettier and a way better actress than either of her more famous sisters.  That would be like if there was a Kardashian we never heard about who suddenly showed up and won an Oscar.

Watching GODZILLA VS. MECHAGIDZILLA (II...sort-of depending on where you are).

Damn, Godzilla sells like a monster.  The whole movie is him playing tweener/face-in-peril.  When they are preparing to shoot the electro-bolts into his second brain and he's staggering around.  This is prime Shawn-level selling.

I 100% guarantee that Seth Rollins is watching this right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

Took my son yesterday to watch this finally for his birthday.  He's been patient and loved it.  I liked it quite a bit, but it wasn't a home run.  The highlights were obviously the tail whip of doom, the atomic breath decapitation, and Cranston adding some acting chops to the first half of the movie. 

On the other hand, I'm getting sick of extensive cross-cutting in every movie with action that consistently interrupts scenes that really need to breathe on their own. 

It needed more inventive brawling.  For a while there Godzilla was just bumrushing and shotaying these MUTO's around pushing them back like two teenagers who don't want to really fight.  Godzilla doesn't necessarily have to do diamond cutters on these MUTO's (well it would be nice), but I was hoping for a little more throwing around and clubbing type of stuff. 

The HALO jump was really cool, especially with the monolith music from 2001 (I can't remember the real name). 

Nerd time - Godzilla's eyes.  I loved the design (the girth, the spikes and plates) except for his eyes.  I understand they weren't going to give him the goofy eyes from Smog Monster, but he had the smallest eyes of a reptile in existence.  Godzilla vs. Megaguirus was the template they should have went with for his eyes.  His snout was a little short, too.  Small complaints, but he needed a little more personality in the face department.  Like a bearded dragon.

bearded-dragon.jpg

Just saw it. 

That sucked. If I wanted to see Independence Day I'd rent it, and I hate Independence Day. Wanted every single person in the cast to die onscreen in horrible fashion after they whacked Bryan Cranston, and not because they did that, but because they focused TWO HOURS ON THE MOST CLICHED HORSESHIT EVER. Maybe I was asking for too much out of it. Maybe I'm just sick of CGI and the American Summer Blockbuster. Maybe I have officially turned into a heartless, grumpy prick. But I did not like that.

Actually, I'm not a heartless prick, because I took my mom to see it right after her birthday when all my friends saw it when it came out, and I waited for time to see it with her instead because she wanted to. But grumpy... yeah. Hey, the popcorn was good!

The MUTOs looked like the fakest shit ever and no amount of great work on Godzilla him/herself or crumbling structures or whatever is going to make me think otherwise. The second I saw something legit like the very Carpenter's Thing-esque slime (which I do applaud them for, and the MUTO egg stuff reminded me of Giger which was cool as well) it reminded me of what could have been. But really the whole problem is that the story sucked and the actors sucked. And CHRIST was that thing long to sit through for such a minimal payoff. Everyone told me "slow build" but like a few of the canon Godzillas, the exposition just ain't worth it. I'll watch the end again when it comes on satellite though.

I've sat here thinking about my reaction to the film and really I should give it another watch. I spent most of the film muttering to myself about plot flaws and hating the characters to have any suspension of disbelief and immersion in the events. It makes me feel like a snarky asshole. 

It also gave me an idea for a re-edit of the film where there is just the scenes without dialogue, or minimal dialogue (or hell, even Japanese with subtitles!). Tell it like a silent film, as the movie is a visual feast and we don't need any Greek chorus telling us the wheres and whys. 

• 1 month later...

ComingSoon.net: I believe the teaser revealed that Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah will appear in Godzilla 2!

They showed a bunch of old newsreel footage similar to the opening credits but it was interspersed with the tag:
"There is still one secret that remains hidden"
"There are others"
And then we see a shadow of what's clearly Rodan with the words "Codename: Rodan"
and then they show the old Mothra with the title "Codename: Mothra"
and lastly.... "Codename: Ghidira!"
"Monarch Assessment: Conflict Imminent"..
and the words "LET THEM FIGHT"
  • Like 1

ComingSoon.net: I believe the teaser revealed that Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah will appear in Godzilla 2!

They showed a bunch of old newsreel footage similar to the opening credits but it was interspersed with the tag:
"There is still one secret that remains hidden"
"There are others"
And then we see a shadow of what's clearly Rodan with the words "Codename: Rodan"
and then they show the old Mothra with the title "Codename: Mothra"
and lastly.... "Codename: Ghidira!"
"Monarch Assessment: Conflict Imminent"..
and the words "LET THEM FIGHT"

*Faints*