DVDVR Message Board

Godzilla (2014)

Big Fresh

There was a scene or two near the beginning where I was having trouble hearing the dialog, so, yeah, a little bit.

I still have no idea what was said through the glass during the death in the first 10 minutes.

Just got in about an hour ago. Theater was PACKED. There were two things that happened that I don't normally see anymore. Spoilers to follow.

One, when Godzilla first shows up in Hawaii everyone in the theater was holding their breath like OH SHIT THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME. The second was all of the applause. The fatality and decapitation got a huge round of applause and then again when the credits rolled.

I didn't think my theater would be a good indicator but now looking at the box office numbers so far this could end up being a lot bigger than I anticipated. Who would have thought.

The bullshit tease of the first fight and "Mommie, look!  Dinosaur!" was this movie's "That's a lot of fish."

I liked the movie and the monster designs.  Godzilla looked really cool.  However, the acting was crap and the story did a lot of weird copout stuff.  

Godzilla was more like Gamera than anything here.  He was more of a hero than an antihero.  Gareth Edwards talked about Godzilla being an antihero and the "punishment we deserve," but that wasn't really the case.

What Mike said.  The Daimajin trilogy is the vicious supernatural revenge tale that The Crow is without all of the emo angst.. 

I am surprised that it has never seen a modern reboot.

My top five Zilla movies:

1. Gojira / Godzilla

The original is still the best.  An atomic fable about the perils of fucking with mother nature.

2. Ghidorah - The Three Headed Monster

The beginning of the Godzilla = Anti-Hero era.  Rodan, Mothra, and Godzilla hug it out and then go kick ass.  Ghidorah is booked king sized because it takes three classic kaiju just to scare him off.  This movie is worth watching if only for the visual comedy of the twin faeries translating Godzilla's grunts into, "Fuck these people.  They deserve what they get."

3. Godzilla 1985

The suit is the same but the tone is much darker.  One of the more faithful attempts to return to the cautionary tale format of the original classic.

4. Destroy All Monsters

Apeshit insane and brainless but in a good way with every kaiju cameo you could imagine.

5. Mothra vs. Godzilla

This is as close as the series came to its Night of the Living Dead.  Japanese society being what it is, this movie is a mindboggling and ridiculously courageous swipe at the evils of morally bankrupt capitalism.  It is probably the magnum opus of the franchise, but I rank it only as number five because I've never been terribly conviced of Mothra's quality of opposition.

5. Mothra vs. Godzilla

This is as close as the series came to its Night of the Living Dead. Japanese society being what it is, this movie is a mindboggling and ridiculously courageous swipe at the evils of morally bankrupt capitalism. It is probably the magnum opus of the franchise, but I rank it only as number five because I've never been terribly conviced of Mothra's quality of opposition.

Thank you.

It's been over 15 years since I saw most of these. Omitting the original because obviously it's the best:

1) Ghidorah

2) Vs. MechaGodzilla (1993)

3) Astro-Monster

4) Destroy All Monsters

5) Vs. Gigan (I know, I know, but dude had a buzzsaw. A fucking buzzsaw!)

When I went to the 10:00 pm preview screening Thursday night, in a fairly small college town, with school being done for the year already, it was still 2/3's or maybe 3/4's full.

I just have a question:

What the hell happened with the bomb at the end?

From Gareth Edwards:

There was a strong wind, so nuclear fallout will not be a problem. 

I'm not a nuclear physicist or anything, but it sounded like a weak cop out answer.  

I didn't expect it to do so well. I expected somewhere around $65-70M opening weekend but like I said my theater was fucking packed. I know it was Friday night but it looked like it sold out every showing.

I went to a 3D showing at 1pm on Friday. There were maybe 9 people in the theater, one of whom was a woman close to 90 years old.

I just have a question:

What the hell happened with the bomb at the end?

From Gareth Edwards:

There was a strong wind, so nuclear fallout will not be a problem. 

I'm not a nuclear physicist or anything, but it sounded like a weak cop out answer.  

He was probably joking, Gareth Edwards comes across as quiet but he's a really funny guy judging by the panels and interviews I've seen.

Going to see this tomorrow, so pleased it's doing so well. More Godzilla! Fuck yeah!