DVDVR Message Board

Godzilla (2014)

Big Fresh

He probably doesn't have much interest in Elizabeth Olsen, he's married to Sam Taylor-Wood, she's 24 years older than him. He's 23.

He only likes the cougs.  He knocked her up when he was 19.  

His lack of chemistry with Olsen makes sense now.

We just watched GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH and my wife got misty at this part:

And then was bawling for this:

Then I read to her about Akira Ikufube and how this was the last film he ever scored, and that last bit was one of the final pieces he ever composed, and she doubled down on bawling.  She's pretty great. 

And yes, I'm spoilering 20 year old Godzilla news.  Shut up, that's why!

I love this inspirational bit of scoring when Godzilla is gearing up for the big fight and he's like "I leave Tokyo for 10 MINUTES and you idiots create a micro-oxygnated Destoroyah????!  Well, Daddy's home, Motherfuckers!  It's time to clean house."

I'm not even really a huge fan of Vs. KG and Vs. McG (II), especially the bizarre as fuck origin stories in the former.  They aren't bad, but they aren't amongst the better Godzilla films to my mind.

But then SpaceGodzilla is just so fucking bad.  Like, bottom 5 of the franchise bad.  And then they come right off that with Destroyah, and holy fuck it's awesome.

(The answer, at least in part, is that the guy who directed KG, McG, and Destroyah sat out SG to direct Orochi, the Eight-Headed Dragon, which I have not seen, but have heard little good about.  That explains the terrible pacing and the flat visuals, although it still doesn't explain the bad script ofr where the damn Yakuza mini-plot comes from and then vanishes too.)

Also, we totally ignored vs. Mothra in between KG and McG II.  Which is also in that good but not great stretch of Godzilla films that really defined most of the Vs. series.

Truth be told I only saw Vs. Mothra once, I wasn't impressed, and Battra didn't really do it for me. As someone with an intense hatred for the entire invertabre phylum, know what's an evil moth? All of them.

It might be like in America, where Apple often paid for product placement, and almost no other computer company would, because only Apple's computers looked notably different than other brands.

Side note:  The thing about the 90's Godzilla films is that, even the better ones, and even Destroyah, they all get their asses kicked when compared to the Gamera Trilogy from the same decade.  Toho wishes they had come up with a kaiju as scary and awesome as Irys.

Love KG and MG. The origin story for KG seemed in line with the tone of that series (Dorats~~), as SG showed how silly an alien plotline would be. Plus MG's theme is just so fucking bad ass.

Eh, the King Ghidorah plot was exactly the same as the 60's-70's alien plot lines, just they replaced "aliens who pretend to be benevolent but are really evil and want to unleash King Ghidorah on Japan" with "time travelers who pretend to be benevolent, but are really evil and want to unleash King Ghidorah on Japan."  It plays exactly the same, but with a really convoluted time travel plot that makes no fucking sense.

Not that I dislike the movie.  I could never dislike anything that ends with "former villain turned hero time traveler returns to her own time period, finds what is left of King Ghidorah, has him rebuilt into MechaKingGhidorah, and travels back to the 90's to defeat Godzilla."  Because holy fuck that's awesome, and MKG is so fucking bad ass.

Love KG and MG. The origin story for KG seemed in line with the tone of that series (Dorats~~), as SG showed how silly an alien plotline would be. Plus MG's theme is just so fucking bad ass.

Eh, the King Ghidorah plot was exactly the same as the 60's-70's alien plot lines, just they replaced "aliens who pretend to be benevolent but are really evil and want to unleash King Ghidorah on Japan" with "time travelers who pretend to be benevolent, but are really evil and want to unleash King Ghidorah on Japan." It plays exactly the same, but with a really convoluted time travel plot that makes no fucking sense.

Thanks for ruining an important part of my childhood. Tell me: have you ever seen Raiders of the Lost Ark before?

OK, just got back from Godzilla.  Kinda eh.  Effects were good, I thought the MUTO were interesting, liked that they gave them sexual dimorphism, though I was half expecting the female to eat the male when they finally met up.

It's not a flaming turd that the Sony Zilla was, but it's lacking something.  It either needs to be totally kick ass or fucking whacky.  It's not kick ass enough and it's not whacky.  And man, it too balls to reduce the male MUTO and Godzilla start fighting to show it as a clip on tv.

I was kind of hoping Alpha Predator Godzilla was going to eat the bugs after he woke back up.

ComingSoon.net's ShockTillYouDrop.com has an update straight from Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull.

“Gareth's filmmaking talent makes him one of his generation's most creative and visionary directors,” says Tull. “The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another 'Godzilla,' but who knew it would be a 'Star Wars' installment? We have a great plan in store for 'Godzilla' fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth’s imprint on the 'Star Wars' universe.”

The Hollywood Reporter goes on to say that Edwards is attached not only to a Godzilla sequel, but for a full Godzilla trilogy.

As of right now, as far as anyone is aware, Legendary/WB don't have the rights to any other monsters owned by Toho except Godzilla himself.

That could change, of course.