DVDVR Message Board

Godzilla (2014)

Big Fresh

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect. Maybe I could say it didn't even live up to my (probably far too high) expectations. But certainly a good franchise starter and a good way to erase the taste of that 1998 pile of shit.

I liked it a lot, but about an hour in and we would only get teases for hot monster on monster action. It made me think that for budgetary reasons they kept doing the smoke and mirrors routine until the last 30 minutes of the movie. Holy shit though, when those last 30 minutes arrive it is fucking ON. The build to the atomic breath was awesome as well. Anyway, like I said, pretty good, but there were some issues, ones like I described and all of the coincidences involving the main characters.

BTW, we didn't stay for the whole credits. Did anything happen at the end of them?

Nick Fury asked Godzilla to join the Avengers.

No, no post-credits scene.

You're right about the Atomic Breath too. I had just said, "Wait, does this Godzilla not breathe fire or anything?" right before he did it.

• Like 1

I hope it's better than Pacific Rim.  That movie was turrble.

ETA: Can we all just agree that Godzilla '98 was just a big budget remake/reboot of the Giant Gila Monster?

ETA 2: Godzilla - G'illa. OMG it actually was!

BTW, we didn't stay for the whole credits. Did anything happen at the end of them?

Nick Fury asked Godzilla to join the Avengers.

No, no post-credits scene.

You're right about the Atomic Breath too. I had just said, "Wait, does this Godzilla not breathe fire or anything?" right before he did it.

Dont steal my bit :)

The more I think about it, the more problems I have with it. The first 30 minutes are really boring. And it also pains me to say that Ken Watanabe's character is straight up crazy. It's surprising to see so many people just trust him. However, Ken Watanabe is awesome, so who gives a shit. The other stinging point is that the amount of things Ford (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) can do is ridiculous. Even MacGyver thought that was bullshit.

That said, the movie is still really good, it's just much slower paced than I expected and it's plainly obvious that had to be due to budgetary concerns.

The more I think about it, the more problems I have with it. The first 30 minutes are really boring. And it also pains me to say that Ken Watanabe's character is straight up crazy. It's surprising to see so many people just trust him.

It is pretty awesome that Watanabe did his homework.  Both versions of the iconic Dr. Serizawa are fucking lunatics.

It's been years since I saw the '54 version, but that build up to the reveal was rather slow in that one too, with the mountaintop scene occurring, what, an hour into it?

It takes about an hour for Gojira to finally make an appearance and the middle act of the movie is fucking balls to the wall.  The third act kinda languishes until the Japanese bust out the Oxygen Destroyer.

I also wish they had the original Godzilla theme in there somewhere. I kept waiting for it and there were a couple points where I would have gone fucking nuts had they pumped that in there, but it never happened.

The third act is where Mr. Burr REALLY shines, watch yo mouth.

I have watched the Japanese original far more times than the American retread.

I also wish they had the original Godzilla theme in there somewhere. I kept waiting for it and there were a couple points where I would have gone fucking nuts had they pumped that in there, but it never happened.

They could have least had some scene where someone was listening to Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult on the radio.

• Like 1

I actually applaud them for having the restraint to not do that. There are some...strange call outs or Easter eggs in the movie too. I swear there's a poster of Pac Rim Kaiju (and fuck all y'all that don't like Pac Rim, that movie is fun as hell). And Ford has a Mothra name tag on his little moth/butterfly house.

I hate the way it kept cutting away every time Godzilla started to fight the MUTO until the end, and ita but scared when the movie started to ape a 98 scene with the dead babies and giant monster finding the main character. But then the fight finally happened and delivered.

Also, I wish the monsters had a bit more personality. They need to license King Ghidorah for the sequel.

The fact that the 1954 theme doesn't make an appearance is a severe letdown. SEVERE.

Yeah, I was a tad disappointed. I'm not sure if it was a rights thing or what, but it should have been in there in some form. I was even sure it would play during the credits and it didn't, unless it played during the portion of the credits I wasn't there for. That said, the score is still pretty good.

And maybe Fowler can answer this, but did you think the audio production was a little on the quiet side? There were so many times where I expected to have my ears blown out or feel some kind of rumble in my chest from the bass kicking in and it never happened in the theater I was at.